Do any of you not like it when people say "I promise"?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2024, 1:32 pm

So I have this online friend I talk to daily and maybe over a year ago when I mentioned about having bad self esteem she said (I can't exactly remember what she said) but she said something "I promise your self esteem will get better." And well my friend is well meaning and very sweet, I know my self esteem will never get better because it's been bad for many years. And she does want to build my self esteem up. But I don't think mental health profession would use the words "I promise." And don't get me wrong, I care about my friend a great deal. How many of you don't like the words "I promise"?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 2:41 pm

It depends on context. She made a promise she can't keep because it's not something she controls.

If someone promises they'll give me a sandwich tomorrow, I don't mind because they can do it.

If someone promises me things will get better it bothers me because they don't have any ability to ensure that outcome.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 3:54 pm

Is the friend on the Autism Spectrum?

If they are not on the Autism Spectrum then they likely have no idea whether or not your self esteem will get better but they are hoping your self esteem will get better and that them saying that will make you feel better. They are likely trying to make you feel better.

If they are on Autism Spectrum then I am surprised they would say that. They almost certainly want you to feel better and hope you will feel better...but it seems to me like an odd thing for an Autie to say. Maybe they are gambling that you will? Maybe ask them?

Either way, it seems very likely to me that they do hope you will feel better.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 5:14 pm

"I promise" → "I'm lying and I'm about to screw you over".

"All you need to say is simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." -- Jesus of Nazareth, in His Sermon On the Mount (Matthew 5:37, NIV)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 May 2024, 9:02 pm

No religion please. Thank you.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2024, 10:30 pm

If someone is suspicious enough to demand a promise from me, OR so insecure as to issue promises to me, then (in my opinion) that person is not someone with whom I wish to do business.  The only exception to this involves the wedding vows between my wife and I.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 1:14 am

It's not a word I use.
I don't think I've ever made a promise or had one made to me.

One time a friend's son had to "pinkie promise" his father not to tell the judge he'd been molested.
They actually had to link their pinkie fingers making the promise.

That leaves me with a very bad association so I avoid it as much as possible.

Actually I just remembered one promise I made in my life.
When my dad was on his deathbed he wanted me to promise I'd take care of my mum.
I'm still doing that, especially now.
I don't want to let him down.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 4:41 am

I take promises seriously. But I see you were not talking about that kind of promise. In a similar context, I would say "Trust me, it'll be better." And people do tend to trust me somehow. :)

It's just a bad use of words. My mom likes to say "Let me tell you the truth." to everybody about every tiny bit of unimportant stuff. I told her off a few times and she just couldn't change the habit.