Page 3 of 13 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

CeriseLy
Toucan
Toucan

07 Oct 2007, 12:27 pm

He won't detach from her and I can hear how his weakness feeds her rages but his lack of appreciation where he needs to get what he wants out of her and will suffer her games to get them but that actually tortures her because she feeds his lack of independence which makes her more furious at her burden so he does torture her in return. Palms facing up, I can't do anything for either one of them. I tried to get him to just apply to Landmark college and he pulled a severe act of passive aggression by bursting into tears when he was a lone with her and giving her the opening for a cursing tirade against my character. They were alone together in his room and it was such a farce. Enjoy the takeout orders four hours late, buddy. He's not so fragile x that he doesn't get what is going on and fragile x is not an excuse for his ruthless choices. That is all about character.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 12:54 pm

I am 32, and my parents take me out once a week for lunch to get groceries.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Oct 2007, 1:56 pm

also it is very hard to make a living in america! you have to make atleast $45,000 a year here to live comfortably. i dont know what that translates into how much an hour you need to make at your job but still, it is no easy task!!

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 2:18 pm

richardbenson wrote:
also it is very hard to make a living in america! you have to make atleast $45,000 a year here to live comfortably. i dont know what that translates into how much an hour you need to make at your job but still, it is no easy task!!

That is about 21.64/hour The Formula is hourly=yearly/2080! 52 weeks per year times 40 hours a week. Of course, if you have the average salaried job, it is a bit higher because you are paid for days you don't work(holiday, vacation, sick). Still, $45,000 IS more than the average person gets, and you don't need THAT much to be comfortable in many areas.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 2:19 pm

Not driving and working close to home has helped for me.
I also lived in an all-bills-paid rooming house for two years.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 2:39 pm

mechanima wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
Don't feel bad. I'm very dependent on my mother as well, and I will probably have to live with my family members for the rest of my life. Some people with Asperger's can function alright on their own, but there are others like you or me who need help living day-to-day. There's nothing wrong with that.

There is nothing wrong with needing help and getting it, but there is EVERYTHING wrong with being brainwashed and conditioned to see yourself as a second class human being who cannot think or speak for yourself as the equal of any other adult.

M

I am not brainwashed. I am simply accepting of the circumstances of my life.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 2:43 pm

richardbenson wrote:

That's a crock of s**t! We live in the same town --I started out making $24,000 in this town and lived alone then. I now make $30,000 and though some months money is tight I still am living alone and taking care of myself. Even bagboys at Safeway make $30,000 a year since it is unionized. Yeah its really hard to make a living if you won't get off your ass and work!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Oct 2007, 2:46 pm

Ticker wrote:
richardbenson wrote:
That's a crock of sh**! We live in the same town --I started out making $24,000 in this town and lived alone then. I now make $30,000 and though some months money is tight I still am living alone and taking care of myself. Even bagboys at Safeway make $30,000 a year since it is unionized. Yeah its really hard to make a living if you won't get off your ass and work!
the key word here is comfortably, did you miss that? apperently you did. and i doubt bagboys at safeway make $30,000 a year. talk about a crock of sh-t, and was the last part directed to me?

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

07 Oct 2007, 2:49 pm

Yeah, trust me. Bagboys don't ever make over 20,000.

That said, I think money stretches pretty far. Or I just don't dream big. :P

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Oct 2007, 2:53 pm

yeah the only way i can see a bagboy making any kindof serious cash is if they are a bagboy for 15+ years with the same company. but i doubt anyone stays in a postition like that for more than a few years

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 2:57 pm

A lot of the income issues have to deal with geograhical location. For example, places like San Francisco and New York are going to offer higher incomes because the cost of living is higher.

On the contrast, places in the northern Rockies (Idaho, Montana, etc.), as well as places like Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and north Texas are going to offer lower incomes because the cost of living is lower there.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 3:04 pm

In the old days people with Aspergers were expected to work hard and be self supportive like anyone else. Those were the days when people didn't get diagnosed with AS because the diagnosis didn't exist yet. They were just the local mad scientist or eccentric old cat lady. These days kids get an AS diagnosis and they think its their ticket to sitting on their butt playing video games and surfing the net all day as an adult while their parents and society takes care of them.

If you are able to post on WP then you CAN work. The problem is laziness and enabling by parents. I notice especially that single moms seem to like to keep their AS sons dependant so that he will continue to live with her after he graduates high school. So partly it is some parents fault and it is quite sick.

Sure I used to be nervous calling on the phone to make an appointment and nervous at job interviews. But I quit being a weinie and did it anyway. The more I did it, the easier it got.

My diagnosing doctors have said I am highly autistic. Yet even though I did live with my father in my 20's I was working and I did ALL of the cooking, laundry and shopping. I now have multiple illnesses, have TBI but I am living 2000 miles away from family and still dragging myself into work even though I am now considered physically disabled. In fact one of my doctors offered last week to put me on disability, actually tried to insist, but I very blunting told her NO WAY. I would rather die than be dependant on someone else. Look if I can do it, the rest of you can do it.

Quit using autism as your excuse, quit using your enabling parents as an excuse or your immaturity as an excuse. You WILL MATURE as an adult once you get off your lazy butt and pull your own weight in the world. Life experience=Maturity. The older generation of Aspies did it with absolutely no help. You're an adult now-- its your turn!

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Oct 2007, 3:12 pm

ticker thats the most ignorant thing ive ever read. sounds like your butthurt about other peoples current working situation, and you think its unfair if someone else who you dont know with the same diagnosis isnt chipping in as much as you. might i remind you that autism is a spectrum disorder, everyone who has it isnt going to be on the same level of functioning as you. its no easy task getting on social security disability so people who qualify for it dont need your self rightious babble about how they should be chipping in like you, to feel bad.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 3:32 pm

Richard you are a strong, tall man. You are physically able to do all kinds of work such as road construction that even an idiot could do. They tell you what to do and you do it. Takes no brains nor reasoning.

Don't try to deny your earlier post that it takes $45,000 to live comfortably in this town because it doesn't.

You have posted in past about hiking up to Mt Humphries if you are able to hike at altitudes above 8,000 feet you are a STRONG young man. If you can do that-- then you can do physical labor like landscaping, construction, bagging groceries. There's a guy bagging groceries at Bashas who has an IQ that is probably about 50 and he is about as autistic as a person can get. HE IS WORKING, so if HE is working THEN YOU CAN WORK TOO as you are much more intelligent and very strong.

Everytime you always have an excuse ready. You and everyone of the other crybabies here are just lazy. Good lord there are people with advanced cancer still working and here you have a strong body and whine because you are scared. Do you know how scared people with cancer are?

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2007, 3:32 pm

I am just wondering which planet Ticker comes from where "eccentric old cat ladies" ever "work hard and be self supportive"?

There is a huge problem with parents being encouraged to condition their AS kids to see themselves as useless and helpless second class citizens, and that is backed up by support strategies that are so inappropriate they often make us less functional than we would otherwise be...never mind the recognised syndrome where some parents define themselves in terms of their disabled children and strive to keep them as helpless as possible.

All that needs to change.

When AS children are raised and educated to see themselves, with pride, as worthwhile, equal but different, people, with the same rights and responsibilities as anyone else.
When support strategies are based on our actual needs, and give us real help to overcome our differences and freely available from kindergarten (which will often save a great deal more money that it costs, even in the short to mid term, let alone the long term) .
THEN a far higher proportion of us will become self supporting, marry, have children and lead fulfilling lives...just as importantly, the suicide rate will dip significantly.

Anyone who thinks that all that is required to be able to work is the ability to submit an internet posting is not only very stupid, but also understands very little about AS, or real life, at all.

Life, and work, is, of course, far easier to handle if one can develop a totally psychopathic disregard for the needs and natures of other people.

M

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

07 Oct 2007, 3:44 pm

Ticker wrote:
Richard you are a strong, tall man. You are physically able to do all kinds of work such as road construction that even an idiot could do. They tell you what to do and you do it. Takes no brains nor reasoning.

Don't try to deny your earlier post that it takes $45,000 to live comfortably in this town because it doesn't.

You have posted in past about hiking up to Mt Humphries if you are able to hike at altitudes above 8,000 feet you are a STRONG young man. If you can do that-- then you can do physical labor like landscaping, construction, bagging groceries. There's a guy bagging groceries at Bashas who has an IQ that is probably about 50 and he is about as autistic as a person can get. HE IS WORKING, so if HE is working THEN YOU CAN WORK TOO as you are much more intelligent and very strong.

Everytime you always have an excuse ready. You and everyone of the other crybabies here are just lazy. Good lord there are people with advanced cancer still working and here you have a strong body and whine because you are scared. Do you know how scared people with cancer are?
lets get something streight here, first of all its absured to tell someone if they have a spine they can work. or even telling me what i can do for a job. you dont know me, you have never met me, and you have no idea what im like with the public. that guy at bashas is probably reciving some disability to offset his living situation, wich if he doesnt live in a group home already. lazy? lady thats an ass of a face if i ever saw one talking, when you lost an argument its always the one name calling ever notice that? let it bother you that i dont work. i dont care
what you think