DLA Appeal successful, now what do I do?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

gabrielsunshine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Nov 2012, 6:44 pm

When you appeal and are successful, what do you do next? Do you have to fill in more forms or write to someone?

It would be good if anyone knows.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 8:42 am

You do nothing. You have to wait for a letter from DWP.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 9:03 am

gabrielsunshine wrote:
When you appeal and are successful, what do you do next? Do you have to fill in more forms or write to someone?

Congratulations! It's really important to get that first appeal won - it sets a precedent against any further nonsense.

Although you don't have to do anything at this point, there's absolutely nothing to stop you from phoning them up and asking how long it will be before you start receiving payments.

Oh, and keep any and all paperwork relating to your appeal. It'll almost certainly come in handy again.

Last edited by adifferentname on 21 Nov 2012, 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 9:05 am

The money may appear in your account, before you get a letter, so keep an eye on that. We applied for DLA, a month ago. The money suddenly appeared on Friday and we got the notification letter on Monday.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 9:12 am

gabrielsunshine wrote:

Many congratulations. I recently applied for my seven year old daughter, who has many meltdowns, resistance to self-care, low awareness of danger and many other things, and they turned us down.

I would be interested to know what help you need that helped you succeed, because I really can't understand why they turned us down. I completed the application alone without the help of any organisation.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 9:36 am

whirlingmind wrote:
gabrielsunshine wrote:

Many congratulations. I recently applied for my seven year old daughter, who has many meltdowns, resistance to self-care, low awareness of danger and many other things, and they turned us down.

I would be interested to know what help you need that helped you succeed, because I really can't understand why they turned us down. I completed the application alone without the help of any organisation.
If you want any help with the wording, please PM me. We had no problems whatsoever getting DLA and it has been granted for 10 years. We might just have been really lucky.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 11:17 am

Thanks. Have PM'd you.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2012, 2:13 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
gabrielsunshine wrote:

You have to demonstrate that your 7 year old has either more needs than a non-ASD 7 year old, or has the same needs as a younger child.

I've now had to resort to getting help from an organisation - DWP don't seem to accept that I have problems. :x

gabrielsunshine
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Nov 2012, 7:15 am

Thank you to everyone who gave a reply : )

whirlingmind ~ I am not sure it would be relevant, sadly. I am 34, and there are different expectations of what I should be able to do compared to someone who is seven...unfortunately I am a bit like a seven year old when it comes to taking care of myself : (

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 7:38 am

That's the thing with ASD though isn't it, those deficits are often there whether you are 7 or 57. She has very low awareness of danger so needs a lot of supervision, she's almost 8 and she tells me she wants me to continue to wash her until she's 18! She is emotionally like a much younger child. And they still turned us down.

Mummy_of_Peanut has given me some really useful information, so hopefully we can either appeal or reapply.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2012, 8:27 am

gabrielsunshine wrote:
Thank you to everyone who gave a reply : )

whirlingmind ~ I am not sure it would be relevant, sadly. I am 34, and there are different expectations of what I should be able to do compared to someone who is seven...unfortunately I am a bit like a seven year old when it comes to taking care of myself : (
That's enough, though. A seven-year-old doesn't have very good adaptive skills at all, compared to the average adult. I have the adaptive skills of a twelve-year-old, or thereabouts, and most of that is my using my analytical skills to solve the problem of "How to get food into stomach" or "How to get money to utility company", rather than actually being intrinsically good at taking care of myself. I'm also on disability, but living independently with limited support; I have enough trouble with it that I can't really live without help long-term, but not so much that I need to actually have an aide with me all day. In terms of how well I do on my own, you'd expect about the same level of expertise from someone with a mild intellectual disability. That's enough to get Social security disability here in the US, though for me there's a good chance that I'll someday be at least partly self-supporting, because of the aforementioned analytical skills and the possibility of using them to become employed, and hire my own aide if that is still necessary.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com