Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Nov 2007, 2:09 am

I saw this on youtube which sounds like nonsense to me. I always thought Autism was always due to how the brain is wired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpe4kcvaesw#i0KBTrTAOMk

I wrote a response saying what I felt but the reply I got was I know nothing. lol

What do you guy and gays think?

I can't understand why anyone would want to cure Autism. Why would someone want to get rid of a possible future Genius.

GetDownOnIt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Nov 2007, 3:37 am

I don't have time to watch the entire video now. I will comment on it fully later. However, I believe that your diet can have effects of your mood e.t.c but I don't believe it can "cure" autism. What is most likely happening is that the new diet simply makes the symptoms less extreme, causing the parents to believe it has been cured, when really it's as much there as it once was, just not showing itself it the same extent.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 5:18 am

MAN did I call this! I recently spoke of the EPITOME of what I hate. Here is ANOTHER example!

Those jerks! OH YEAH! Autistic people NEED bacteria and don't have it, so they go crazy.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 8:28 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
MAN did I call this! I recently spoke of the EPITOME of what I hate. Here is ANOTHER example!

Those jerks! OH YEAH! Autistic people NEED bacteria and don't have it, so they go crazy.

I agree. What a bunch of horse manure. I can almost guarantee they are peddling something and making a juicy profit off of this nonsense.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Nov 2007, 8:46 am

Once again my wealth of useless trivia comes into play.....

Let me set the record straight before I get started on the pseudo science behind the diets. I do not believe that autism can be cured. Nor do I believe that it needs to be. However, after working with children of all abilities and disabilities, I understand the NEED of NT parents to find an alleged cure. I don't agree with it or condone it, but I can understand it. I also enjoy the particular brand of autism that I myself, and my son subscribe to and plan to continue re-upping, so to speak....That being said....

The pseudo science behind the diets is this. As people on the spectrum we have senses working overtime (anybody get the XTC reference there?") and that sometimes includes allergies. One of the current working theories is that the diets work because they are actually operating against the allergies. Gluten and Cassein are natural allergies that our bodies might have and our bodies are so hyper sensitive to these elements that they can cause huge changes in behaviours, etc, when ingested. By limiting or eliminating these elements, the behaviours are significantly reduced.

That being said...I work with several children on the spectrum whose parents have tried the GFCF diet and swear that it has significantly decreased the children's behaviours. I've seen a family who started the diet for one kid specifically, but have noticed more compliance in the non-ASD children as well.

That being said...I've seen several people on here say that they too have noticed a difference in their own behaviours/agitations/irritability levels when these things are taken away. So, there is a little merit to it. Do I think it's a cure? No, of course, not...but it serves the same purpose as self medicating. It reduces the irritant level of irritants so that we are more functional.