Confused on how to help my child.....

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

whateveryousay2007
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2007, 9:05 am

He is being tested later this month for Aspergers.

He does the following:
Facinated with Weather & the news....can talk for hours about it, more interested in talking to adults than kids, has problems making friends with kids his age, can memorize an entire movie (cars....it drives me nuts), can read a book front to back but having him comprehend it is another story, he has ADD but no hyperactivity, he is emotional, I could go on all day.....he's smart makes good grades (language is a struggle),

My problem is that he is so irritated right now.
Very emotional and he has never been this way before. He's been taking Vyvanse for about 2 months for ADD. (was on Adderall for 2 years)
He's fine one minute and the next he's non-responsive & ready to cry.

He has a hard time making eye contact.

I'm curious how I should deal until testing.....should I call his doc & blame his meds or hold out.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

01 Nov 2007, 9:22 am

Welcome!

Usually the crying comes from extra stress, and may actually be related to bullying, or changes in a certain routine.

He shows familiar signs of AS. Such as knowing a story but not understanding it (part of a literal thinking process). Eye contact shouldn't be forced to be learnt if the child doesn't want to, as this can add even more stress into the situation. Aspie kids can tend to not be very lenient on opinions or changes in routine or what they want to do next.

Hope this helps somewhat. :)

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 9:24 am

He sounds about normal AS! Maybe you can get him into puzzles and movies that are somewhat educational. Help him build on his strengths!

whateveryousay2007
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2007, 9:28 am

He was being bullied in the past. he's very small for his age. he's 8 & is 4'2, 52 lbs.
His teacher is wonderful.....before I was aware of what was happening she took care of it. She calls me once a week to let me know how everything is. I really couldn't ask for anyone better.

She cares about him and wants him to do well. She's working on getting him to open up. He takes Taekwondo (she used to) and she's even stopped by to watch a class. She wants him to be able to open up to her. Which it has worked.

I've been watching to notice changes but I can't pinpoint anything. He does have this irrational fear of noise. Any loud noises sends him to a nervous wreck. He'll cover his ears and run (sometimes cry).

He also thinks everyone is picking on him. Someone barely walked past him and brushed his shoulder (by accident). he was fine. A few moments later (he was tired) he had a meltdown because someone touched him.

He's always been affectionate, touchy, hug me I love you kind of child.

I don't know.....

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

01 Nov 2007, 9:38 am

That's very good that your teacher becomes more of a friend than just someone who blabs the ABCs all day. It's difficult for AS kids to make friends at school, and so it winds up being several long hours of boredom, and in bad cases, unpleasantness to torture.

That irrational fear of noise is another AS trait, hypersensitivity. Take your noise perception, and turn the volume up about 10 notches, and you'll have it.

The brushing thing may be related to this. The first incident is just a brush, and nothing too surprising. Big difference when it's actual touching though. Again, turn it up 10 notches and you'll have an idea on what it's like.

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 9:43 am

whateveryousay2007 wrote:
He does have this irrational fear of noise. Any loud noises sends him to a nervous wreck. He'll cover his ears and run (sometimes cry).

He also thinks everyone is picking on him. Someone barely walked past him and brushed his shoulder (by accident). he was fine. A few moments later (he was tired) he had a meltdown because someone touched him.

I don't know.....

That "fear of noise" isn't irrational! How would YOU feel if someone poked a spike in your ears? I imagine YOU would be covering YOUR ears and running also.

And they ARE picking on him, whether intentional or not. There really isn't any difference.

You have to look at it from HIS side. I'm there, so it is easy for me. I "COVER MY EARS AND RUN" ALSO! The last time a fire alarm drill happened at work, I was the ONLY one, at least that I saw, that covered his ears! I ALSO went the farthest away, and was over 20 feet farther than anyone else. There were about 100-200 people outside.

A coworker was shocked to see I wore ear plugs during construction. 4 places I have called in the past 3 months had a tone on their voice mail that made me feel like shooting someone! (I wouldn't actually do that, but I was ANGRY!! !)! ! So I know where he is coming from.

whateveryousay2007
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2007, 9:54 am

I see what you're saying. I'm just using the terms that "are labeled".

we went to the science museum and they had a wack-a-mole game above and the haudralics (spelling) sent him over the edge. He's been that way since he was little. he had 4 sets of tubes in his ears before he was 34 months old & adnoids removed.

He still to this day will not lay in the tub to wash his hair. Nothing can get near his ears. He won't go swimming because of it. I have to take him to the ped. doc to get his ears flushed out.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 9:58 am

The tubes he has may be the reason for avoiding the water, etc... They may exascerbate the sensitivity problems, but they are NORMAL for AS people.

alliegirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Nov 2007, 10:33 am

He was being bullied in the past. he's very small for his age. he's 8 & is 4'2, 52 lbs.
His teacher is wonderful.....before I was aware of what was happening she took care of it. She calls me once a week to let me know how everything is. I really couldn't ask for anyone better.

She cares about him and wants him to do well. She's working on getting him to open up. He takes Taekwondo (she used to) and she's even stopped by to watch a class. She wants him to be able to open up to her. Which it has worked.

I've been watching to notice changes but I can't pinpoint anything. He does have this irrational fear of noise. Any loud noises sends him to a nervous wreck. He'll cover his ears and run (sometimes cry).

He does have Asperger signs. My daughter is 17 and he sounds a lot like her. Shes very loving and always has been, just with strangers (thats sure okay with me) she does not feel comfortable. I'm so happy that he has a wonderful teacher!! ! That is a blessing. Each year try to hand pick his teachers. The ones that you KNOW will be like this one. I would even ask this teacher who she thinks would be the best each yr for him. Someone like her. Also, does he space out in class? If so, have her gently walk by and touch his shoulder to bring him back. We had teachers do this all throught the yrs, and it really worked. Our daughter is now using a patch that goes on her hip that has worked wonders. Not a controlled substance. It will be okay, I know your frustrated. Just keep in touch with the principal and teachers to watch for bullying. Been there and done all of this for 17 years!!

I don't know.....

whateveryousay2007
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2007, 10:48 am

alliegirl,

His teacher got him because he is ADD. She is young, 28 but wonderful all the same. She actually teaches regular class, but gets the ADD kids because she's qualified to deal with them.

We've talked and she tries very hard. She was concerned first by his reluctantcy to be touched. He lets family love on him....but select others. She tried to console him one time and he told her not to touch him. During his meltdown yesterday....he let her pick him up and hold him in her lap.

She tells him all the time she loves him. He told her that he didn't derserve his "halloween basket" because he was bad. She told him he did derserve it. She tries very hard. She wants him labeled correctly so he doesn't struggle. She's explained to me that she wants him to have friends and has even enlisted the help of two 5th grade boys that watch out for him.

They are his "big brothers" and adore him. They actually stopped the bullying on the bus (we tried...but you can't watch children 24/7). They told the 4th grader that was their buddy, leave him alone.

So....it's a work in progress.

whateveryousay2007
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2007, 10:53 am

KBABZ wrote:
That's very good that your teacher becomes more of a friend than just someone who blabs the ABCs all day. It's difficult for AS kids to make friends at school, and so it winds up being several long hours of boredom, and in bad cases, unpleasantness to torture.

That irrational fear of noise is another AS trait, hypersensitivity. Take your noise perception, and turn the volume up about 10 notches, and you'll have it.

The brushing thing may be related to this. The first incident is just a brush, and nothing too surprising. Big difference when it's actual touching though. Again, turn it up 10 notches and you'll have an idea on what it's like.

I had no idea. This is all new to me. I really don't know much about it. Everyone tells me he exhibits the classic symptoms. I've been holding out for testing. I really always thought that the hearing thing was from his tubes.

Oh, he also has speech therapy. he still can not do "L" sounds (sounds like "w") love sounds like wove & "th" sounds like "f" sometimes.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 11:05 am

KBABZ wrote:

I had no idea. This is all new to me. I really don't know much about it. Everyone tells me he exhibits the classic symptoms. I've been holding out for testing. I really always thought that the hearing thing was from his tubes.

Oh, he also has speech therapy. he still can not do "L" sounds (sounds like "w") love sounds like wove & "th" sounds like "f" sometimes.

The speach problems are ALSO likely problems with AS!

As I said, he sounds NORMAL for AS. Don't worry though, he'll probably end up fine, and may even like it. The better long term memory and better linked associations are apparently something a lot of others don't have, and can come in handy, and he even has the better short term memory as well.

Look around here. It is EERIE how similar some may appear to your son. I even have a lot of similar traits. Just realize that some may be way off base.

whateveryousay2007
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2007, 11:07 am

:?:

I also have the worst problem with him waking up screaming (if he's in the car....not as much now as before) with him throwing off his shoe and biting his foot. He says "they tickle". I'll ask him if they fell asleep and he says no.

After many months of this I asked his doc (several different occasions) he told me that it's probably from his feet sweating and his socks make his feet uncomfortable. It's never both feet, only one at a time.

His feet sweat a lot.....actually a whole lot....

but is this an aspie reaction? Or just him?

whateveryousay2007
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2007, 11:11 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
KBABZ wrote:

The speach problems are ALSO likely problems with AS!

As I said, he sounds NORMAL for AS. Don't worry though, he'll probably end up fine, and may even like it. The better long term memory and better linked associations are apparently something a lot of others don't have, and can come in handy, and he even has the better short term memory as well.

Look around here. It is EERIE how similar some may appear to your son. I even have a lot of similar traits. Just realize that some may be way off base.

From what I've learned so far I don't really feel as bad about this being a possibility for him. No one wants anything to be wrong with their child but things could be a lot worse. He's been on ADD meds for awhile now and that aspect bothers me.
He knows he's different and he stresses more than he should.
Another thing....he remembers things from when he was a toddler. We'll look at a picture and he'll go into the story of what was going on then and so on. I'll ask him if someone told him and he'll say no....remember we were doing this and so on.

It's too weird.....
But....if he's forgets things you told him 5 minutes ago, hence the ADD. he gets so mad because he can't remember his "tasks" at hand

momtanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2007, 11:41 am

Quote:
Very emotional and he has never been this way before. He's been taking Vyvanse for about 2 months for ADD. (was on Adderall for 2 years)

My son is currently on Focalin & Tenex. This has been the best
for him so far. He has improved greatly in school. We tried
other meds but they gave him different side effects: trouble
going to sleep, irritable...etc. You may want to talk with the
Doctor and switch meds. I prefer my son not to take any
meds but this has really worked for him, especially for school.
He is 9 and diagnosed AS.

whateveryousay2007
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2007, 11:44 am

momtanic wrote:
Quote:

My son is currently on Focalin & Tenex. This has been the best
for him so far. He has improved greatly in school. We tried
other meds but they gave him different side effects: trouble
going to sleep, irritable...etc. You may want to talk with the
Doctor and switch meds. I prefer my son not to take any
meds but this has really worked for him, especially for school.
He is 9 and diagnosed AS.

The side effects he has is : loss of appetite (always.....only 52 lbs) & irritability.....

He wants to change dosage before meds at first....