Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 10:28 am

I am curious about the idea of setting one of these up, it could be a very good idea. The point of one would be to have a real life network, in which we can help one another. Obviously members of such a fraternity would have to be in a reasonably high position irl, in order to be helpful, but once one got started, it could be used to lift lots of other aspies up into postions they want to be in society. In essence, it would be a replacement for NT's networking skills, something that would help offset and mitigate their social advantage over us.

I am intrested in what other aspies would make of it, and possibly even how to make such an idea a reality. Any thoughts?

Brian003
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2007, 10:32 am

Fraternities are set up at different colleges.

In order to set one up it would have to be at a certain college unless you wanted to set up a global fraternity which would be very hard to do.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2007, 10:38 am

I think "fraternity" is the wrong word for what you are proposing.
Especially since fraternity means "brotherhood" and I'm sure you are not suggesting excluding women.
Aside from that, I think it's a great idea.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 10:38 am

Brian003 wrote:
Fraternities are set up at different colleges.

In order to set one up it would have to be at a certain college unless you wanted to set up a global fraternity which would be very hard to do.

Depends on the nature of the fraternity, and what it is set up to accomplish. There is actually more than enough aspies in my university for me to set one up, irl, if needs be, but i dont want it to be tied to one place if i can help it.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 10:40 am

Rynessa wrote:
I think "fraternity" is the wrong word for what you are proposing.
Especially since fraternity means "brotherhood" and I'm sure you are not suggesting excluding women.
Aside from that, I think it's a great idea.

Depends how liberally you take the defintion I suppose. Most frats have moved on from sexism, I would at least hope.

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2007, 10:47 am

Well, to be technical, fraternal inherently implies brother, while sorority implies sister. If you want an all-in-one, you have to coin a new term, like Hermaphroty? I dunno...;)

(p.s. Obviously the term isn't what's important, it's the spirit of the idea...)

Last edited by Spaceplayer on 20 Oct 2007, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2007, 10:48 am

Are we talking about Greek organizations here or not?
'Cause Greek fraternities are college institutions and do not allow women.
If you're talking about a professional organization (which is how you're describing it) then calling it a fraternity and establishing it on a college campus is going to confuse people.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 10:58 am

Fraternity does not necessarily mean excluding women. I was in Delta Sigma Pi(the professional business fraternity) and they freely admitted both men and women. It does not necessarily have to be restricted to college either. A fraternity is whatever the group members want it to be.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 10:59 am

Just ignore the terminology I have used, and look at the idea. No need to get bogged down in insignifant detail just yet.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2007, 11:09 am

We're Aspies - getting bogged down in insignificant details is what we do :lol:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 11:10 am

I want to start one called Delta Tau Chi.

It's just getting past the ultraconservative establishments up here that will be a problem.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Spaceplayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2007, 11:11 am

You're right, Hadron, it's the spirit of the idea. I was just having some fun with the terms.

It's an interesting idea to level the playing field, anyway. My concern would be that it would just denigrate into yet another "old boy's club" where networks are more valued than merit. Seems almost anti-aspie...any suggestions to prevent that irony?

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 11:48 am

Spaceplayer wrote:
You're right, Hadron, it's the spirit of the idea. I was just having some fun with the terms.

It's an interesting idea to level the playing field, anyway. My concern would be that it would just denigrate into yet another "old boy's club" where networks are more valued than merit. Seems almost anti-aspie...any suggestions to prevent that irony?

In society networks are more valued than merit. The idea of this network is in effect going to oppose the fact, by getting more aspies into higher up places in society. Obviously, if it degenerates into an old boys club then it is not fit for purpose, so a strong leadership with a compassion and a good vision is probably needed to prevent such a degeneration.

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 1:57 pm

It is an extremely good idea. In the UK the only help that's available comes through the mental health services, and that isn't appropriate. "Asperger's isnt a disease"! Will watch this thread with interest. Put me down for founder member of the Cambridgeshire Chapter. (and believe me, girls will be welcome...)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 2:14 pm

That is a GREAT idea! Fraternities have NOTHING to do with college! A college may simply have fraternities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraternity_(disambiguation)

But HEY! If you are willing to take non diagnosed, I would be glad to chip in what I can. I am relatively high placed. I just need to work on some social skills. :roll: Still, even without them, I can certainly help.

And YEAH, it wouldn't be any fun without the women. :lol: :wink: BTW I AM serious there, even if I do have the smirk, etc...

Zarathustra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 2:37 pm

Not just a great idea but maybe - "A Significant Idea"... But yeah, gotta get the girls onboard. Getting serious again, I'm near Cambridge University (Aspie HQ-UK Check out www.autismresearchcentre.com), and they're V positive about this kind of thing. We need to get people away from relying on the mental health services (He writes while spoon feeding his bull terrier salmon)