Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

wayne1983
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2007, 5:12 pm

Do you ever just like blank out for a split 2nd?. Reason i ask is, i was on laptop tonight holding a cup of hot chocolate, then all of a sudden i just dropped it for no reason, any1 else have this? :?

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 5:21 pm

I do that once in a while, but not often. It's really bad to do it while driving. "What red light?" :oops:

It's usually when I go into deep thought about something. I teed off a couple of teachers over the years doing that.

Aysmptotes
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2007, 5:24 pm

Oh yeah totally. I can't quite remember how often I do it though since I just go blank and I don't know how long I go blank sometimes. It sucks when you are driving though. Waiting at lights really sucks since it is a perfect opportunity to go blank and people honk their horns and get mad at you. Same thing when I am driving down the highway and I don't realized that someone is behind me really really close waiting for me to switch to the other lane to get out of their way. I feel really embarassed at those times even though I probably will never see them again or if I do they won't recognize me. But I still feel shame.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 5:25 pm

I do this and my daughter does this, just without the loss of muscle control so much.

Either one of us will be in the midst of speaking or doing something, then come to a complete halt and just stare off into space for a few seconds... literally, a few seconds.

We both realize when it has happened. Just shake the head, laugh it off, and try to pick up where we were last. :wink:

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 5:27 pm

Aysmptotes wrote:
Oh yeah totally. I can't quite remember how often I do it though since I just go blank and I don't know how long I go blank sometimes. It sucks when you are driving though. Waiting at lights really sucks since it is a perfect opportunity to go blank and people honk their horns and get mad at you. Same thing when I am driving down the highway and I don't realized that someone is behind me really really close waiting for me to switch to the other lane to get out of their way. I feel really embarassed at those times even though I probably will never see them again or if I do they won't recognize me. But I still feel shame.

OH, maybe I've pulled up behind you in an ambulance before? :twisted:

I always wondered how someone could not know they had two sirens, flashing lights AND an airhorn behind them... oh... and that BIG OLD BOXY AMBULANCE ATTACHED TO IT ALL! 8O

My blanking out seems to be only when I'm in the midst of conversation... not when I'm doing something like driving.
Those times when it happens (or when I'm doing school work), I just attribute to being mesmerized by the monotony and boredom.

Wistaria
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2007, 5:39 pm

Happens to me all the time. I'll be about to do something or in the middle of doing something, and I'll just go blank suddenly, and can't get the train of thought back most of the time.

I also get "performance anxiety"-type mind blanking, too. Somebody will ask me something, and every possible viable answer I may or may not have had in my mind will completely leave me. Annoys the heck out of my significant other, even though it doesn't happen on purpose. :?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 6:31 pm

wayne1983 wrote:
Do you ever just like blank out for a split 2nd?. Reason i ask is, i was on laptop tonight holding a cup of hot chocolate, then all of a sudden i just dropped it for no reason, any1 else have this? :?

perhaps it is worth going to doctors just to rule out things like abscense seizures.

Autism and AS related-it sounds like it could be part of "zoning out".
also do it as well.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Nov 2007, 6:58 pm

I go blank (or zone out) at times. It happens when I'm very nervous, doing lots of things at once, recovering from doing lots of things and sometimes doing nothing causes my head to zone out. Usually when my brain runs away it happens also.

Going blank doesn't happen every single minute or hour of my life but it has happened many times.

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2007, 7:36 pm

MysteryFan3 wrote:

It's usually when I go into deep thought about something. I teed off a couple of teachers over the years doing that.

Same here. I think a lot about stuff and it does get embarrassing when I'm in deep thought and someone trying to get my attention gets fed up with it and I'm like "...what?"

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2007, 7:40 pm

Huh? Sorry, did you say something?

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Nov 2007, 7:47 pm

My experience has taught me that it's common for people on the spectrum to have seizures to varying degrees. Staring seizures count as well. Usually the seizures are indicative in lower functioning autism. They tend to be more the grand mal/petit mal type though.
I know my son and I also experience these blanking out kind of things too. I don't know if they are seizures or blank portions of time. I catch myself doing it when I'm driving alot. Especially when I'm driving a slightly longer route that I do fairly often and don't really have to pay close attention to.

Sometimes during meetings it happens. I notice that it's always when my brain is overloaded with boredom that it happens. Weird, huh?

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Nov 2007, 9:49 am

I get it at work.

"Why is that one empty?"
"Which one?"
"Phased out again, did we?"

I'm reknowned for not being in all the time.

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 9:53 am

Back in 1989, I had memory lapses. As I usually have a good memory, that was scary. That was when I first started taking medication for a seizure disorder.

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2007, 1:05 pm

Happened this morning. We had a meeting on new language learning software and I just drifted away.

I wonder if that is why I have always loved the song Drift Away?

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2007, 4:36 pm

I lose my train of thought a lot, especially when dealing with a lot of little details, but I don't think that's the same thing. I don't think I'd know if I'd zoned out.