Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 12:42 pm

No.
Summer squash.
Cucumber and tomato salad.
Melted cheese.

I usually have one thing that I eat for breakfast lunch and dinner and then other things I snack on. I started eating squash last week and at this point am eating it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Are you eating something exclusively or almost exclusively?

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

PaulB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2005, 12:48 pm

I have a varied diet now, but there was a time when every day for lunch I would have a chicken sandwich from Burger King. Now (well, I'm trying to break the habit) I have two doughnuts and a Coke for breakfast every day. Even if I'm not hungry enough for two, I'll still buy two. I'll just eat the second more for lunch if that is the case.

Tally
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2005, 4:11 pm

My diet is fairly limited.

I eat porridge for breakfast, every day without fail. Over time I tend to eat different things, but at any one time, it's only one thing that I eat all the time.

For my packed lunch I eat a sandwich filled with tuna, tomato puree and cheese. Sometimes I vary it with mackerel or sardines, but mostly I stick to tuna as it's cheaper. I've been eating this for over a year now. Like breakfast, I will probably start eating something else at some point, and stick with that for a long while.

I eat different things for my evening meal, but there's still a fairly limited range of foods that I like.

I worry that I don't get all the nutrients I need. I try to eat vegetables, and I take vitamin pills, but I still feel my diet is poor.

yealc
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 5:03 pm

I did not vote because none fit me. I would love to eat a few exclusive food forever, but living with others I have a fairly varied diet because they get bored. I have been banned from being the meal planner after the month we only had spagetti :)

"I never could get the hang of Thursdays"

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 6:44 pm

Main meals:
Pizza
Lasagna
Fish (Haddock) and Fries
Sweet and Sour Chicken + Chicken Fried Rice
Breaded Haddock stuffed with Cheese + Fries
Spaghetti (sometimes)

Fruit:
Bananas
Apples

Vegetables:
Lettuce
Raw Carrots
Raw Green and Wax (Yellow) Beans

Desserts:
Blueberry Cheesecake
Apple Pie
Cinnamon Rolls

Breads:
Plain white bread
Ritz Crackers

Beverages:
Coca-Cola
Apple juice
Milk

Sometimes there is variance but that is generally what I eat.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 7:44 pm

I keep food in my house for guests, but as to what I eat for myself the VAST majority of the time:

Drinks: Diet coke or pepsi and crystal lite lemonade

Food: 94% fat free kettle korn, yogurt+frozen strawberries+apple juice smoothies (one a day), veggieburgers (one a day), and ramen and a couple of kinds of vegetarian soup that I rarely eat. If I eat the ramen, I eat it raw, by the way.

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 7:47 pm

I HATE food.But I do like green apples,soup,steak,and popcorn.

:D SpaceCase :D

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 7:55 pm

I eat a varied diet, considering that I am allergic to wheat and a vegetarian, although I think this is more due to my love of cooking than my tastes, as I would be happy to eat something I liked over and over, but I hate cooking the same thing too often

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 8:30 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
I eat a varied diet, considering that I am allergic to wheat and a vegetarian, although I think this is more due to my love of cooking than my tastes, as I would be happy to eat something I liked over and over, but I hate cooking the same thing too often

I am an accomplished cook, so when I cook for others the menu varies quite a bit. However, for myself I tend to eat a limited diet. Before I found out I had celiac disease I ate ramen noodles with onions for all three meals. If I had company I made house special fried rice or barbecued chicken or lasagne, or vegetarian shishkebabs (this is a long list so I'll stop here)
Now I am eating vegetables, but before that it was shrimp, and before that cheesecake (homemade), and before that, pad thai. Each thing I ate, I ate for breakfast lunch and dinner.
I tend to lose my appetite when I am ill so it helps me to not have a lot of choices.

Why do you hate cooking the same thing too often? Is it boring? For me that makes things easier. In fact, when I am by myself I'll make a lot of something and eat from it all week.

Winston Churchill

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 8:33 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
Main meals:
Pizza
Milk

Wow. If I ate this I'd be dead inside a year. That's a lot of carbs, and a lot of wheat products.

I miss pizza.

Winston Churchill

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 8:49 pm

Neuroman wrote:
Mockingbird wrote:

I am an accomplished cook, so when I cook for others the menu varies quite a bit. However, for myself I tend to eat a limited diet. Before I found out I had celiac disease I ate ramen noodles with onions for all three meals. If I had company I made house special fried rice or barbecued chicken or lasagne, or vegetarian shishkebabs (this is a long list so I'll stop here)
Now I am eating vegetables, but before that it was shrimp, and before that cheesecake (homemade), and before that, pad thai. Each thing I ate, I ate for breakfast lunch and dinner.
I tend to lose my appetite when I am ill so it helps me to not have a lot of choices.

Why do you hate cooking the same thing too often? Is it boring? For me that makes things easier. In fact, when I am by myself I'll make a lot of something and eat from it all week.

Yes, I hate cooking the same thing over and over because I get bored with it. Which is funny because I like to watch movies over and over, read books over and over, etc. I like to be creative in cooking, I always mess with what I am making. Maybe that has something to do with it. I like making recipes that I have made often, it's very comforting. But I just get bored if I cook the same thing too much.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 9:31 pm

Neuroman wrote:
MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
Main meals:
Pizza
Milk

Wow. If I ate this I'd be dead inside a year. That's a lot of carbs, and a lot of wheat products.

I miss pizza.

Um it likely will kill me, my digestive system has always been a mess and causes me so much pain that I often go without eating because I know if I eat anything with too much fiber, dairy or wheat I'm going to end up in too much pain. I haven't gained or really lost a lb in 2 yrs. I have IBS and as a teen had allergy testing and gluten came up as a problem area, went off for 3 months, drove me nuts to the point I was willing to risk the pain it caused me and it's only gotten worse over the years and even wtih dairy now I'm starting to have issues. Likely have to see the dr. again to see if she can test for celiac and such... I've put my body through enough misery... just problem is, I have issues with some textures and am a very picky eater. :(

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2005, 9:45 pm

'I have a few foods that I'm eating exclusively' - just like most people here.

For the past five years, 'now I understand'.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 9:57 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
Um it likely will kill me, my digestive system has always been a mess and causes me so much pain that I often go without eating because I know if I eat anything with too much fiber, dairy or wheat I'm going to end up in too much pain. I haven't gained or really lost a lb in 2 yrs. I have IBS and as a teen had allergy testing and gluten came up as a problem area, went off for 3 months, drove me nuts to the point I was willing to risk the pain it caused me and it's only gotten worse over the years and even wtih dairy now I'm starting to have issues. Likely have to see the dr. again to see if she can test for celiac and such... I've put my body through enough misery... just problem is, I have issues with some textures and am a very picky eater. :(

DO see your doctor. If gluten is a problem it can kill you. DON'T let your doctor talk you into having an upper endoscopy before the genetic test. The endoscopy I had showed no damage, and the genetic test, which is a simple (but expensive) blood test, and is the sure marker of celiac disease, came out positive. Gluten free diets have been used to treat autistic syndromes for years. BTW I am also lactose intolerant, and that is related to the gluten intolerance.

What you should know about wheat, is that for everyone, if it gets into the bloodstream undigested (usually due to damaged intestines), it goes to the brain and attaches to opiate receptors. Go figure. So you actually get addicted to it....

There are a bazillion gluten free websites, and if you lived in europe you'd have access to even better food.
DON'T EAT RICE BREAD!
It doesn't taste like rice. It doesn't act like bread. It's disgusting!

I make crustless pizza. I put everything but the crust in the pan and melt it, then eat it with a fork. The gluten free pretzels are so good wheat eaters could hardly tell the difference. I've gotten the best stuff from a site called gluten solutions, and my local health food store.

Hope this was not too much more than you asked for...

OMG, I just remembered there is a container of chocolate merengue cookies somewhere in my living room waiting to be eaten.

Nah. Think I'll eat the squash instead....

Winston Churchill

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 11:55 pm

I'm generally able to eat almost everything, except for shellfish which I've had problems with.

I do tend to like a lot of strongly flavored and highly spiced food as well, though there are several things that I don't like due to texture. Number one of them is Tripe. Seriously, I does add decent flavor to soups and such, but at the same time the thought of chewing it and having it slide down my throat makes me nausious.

Never been much for Organ meat aside from (beef) Liver and onions, Chopped liver and braunschweiger/liverwurst are avoided with a passion. I also don't like anything made from congealed blood, so that rules out Blutwurst, Kischka, and Black pudding. --I will eat white pudding, though I really don't want to know what's used to make it.

Things made with Lye never held any appeal for me either, (Lutefisk, Thousand Year Eggs, etc,etc)

I had an unknown Vietnamese cookie/beancake that actually tasted great, but I couldn't bring myself past the texture that was reminscent of Roux ( A sauce thickener made from melted butter and heated flour) that had sand in it.

I also hate the thought of drinking buttermilk, as well as eating sour creme.

At one point when I was a kid I was able to eat mayonnaise by the tablespoon, though now the thought of eating it alone is gross.

Neuroman wrote:
There are a bazillion gluten free websites, and if you lived in europe you'd have access to even better food.
DON'T EAT RICE BREAD!
It doesn't taste like rice. It doesn't act like bread. It's disgusting!

What about bread made from Spelt flour (Dinkelmuhl) in substitution for wheat flour.. ever tried that? If not, you might want to read this for more info:

http://www.spelt.com/

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2005, 12:50 am

Sometimes.

I often get hooked on something, have it heaps, and then get sick of it. It's a cycle.