Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2007, 11:56 pm

I just got diagnosed with Ataxia. Does anyone else here have it? Is there any kind of therapy for it?

siuan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 12:07 am

Hi there. I don't have ataxia, but sometimes I feel like it :wink:

The treatment depends on the cause. Sometimes ataxia can be caused by MS or a head injury, sometimes just genetics. If there is a specific cause, the cause is usually targeted. Otherwise, I think a lot of it is management. I believe medications and occupational therapy can be useful, but only your doctor would have the answers for sure.

Hope everything turns out ok.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2007, 12:15 am

What is it?

juancho
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2007, 2:15 am

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2007, 2:46 am

Rynessa wrote:
What is it?

Well there's Ataxia and Apraxia... the dr said I have Ataxia. I have trouble walking like my brain stops communicating with my leg so my leg doesn't know how to move as in how to contract the right muscles. Its really bizarre. It causes me to drag my leg and not be able to bend it. I also can't walk heel to toe in a straight line like they ask a person to do to test if they are drunk. The dr had me walk like that down a hallway and I kept falling into the walls and I assure you I wasn't drunk then. :roll:

She also tested me by having me touch my finger to her finger then to her nose. I did that okay so she said it was just my legs that had trouble. However as stupid as it sounds I got really dizzy touching fingers to my nose ...and I was sitting down! She had me so dizzy and spacey for the 5 hours of testing that when I got home I biffed it on the porchsteps.

I don't think the dr can figure out the cause because I have 7 different conditions/injuries that can cause Ataxia. Probably one of her more complicated cases. She did mention getting occupational therapy for me, but it was more for social training, not for Ataxia.