Depressions always round the corner for me

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 10:25 pm

I know its always only a matter of time before it comes back again. Its a horrible feeling. I feel like i'm in denial when i'm happy. I'm not mr negative or something, I always try my best at things probably too hard, and take things too heart. I've got the holiday blues, having just come back, from abroad. Life's going by so quickly :( , but I don't like it much anyway. Listen to me, poor me poor me, poor me another drink. I can't help writing drivel, I just want to know if some people feel the same I guess.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 10:31 pm

Same here. I've having a decent intake of sugar helps - no idea why, but eating some candy daily increases my happiness quite profoundly.

A daily multivitamin also works as opposed to the candy, but i'm not as happy.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 10:47 pm

well sugar makes me feel better in short spaces. I'm giving it up in my tea and coffee now though cause my teeth get sensitive.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 10:50 pm

benjimanbreeg wrote:
well sugar makes me feel better in short spaces. I'm giving it up in my tea and coffee now though cause my teeth get sensitive.

be careful with that. I gave up all sugar for a bit and literally went crazy. I'd say try a multi-vitamin if you haven't already, but again be careful with that. The first one i tried made me severely suicidal in the two days I had it (Ginkgo biloba has a profoundly negative effect on me). Now i use the bayer one and have only positive effects

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 10:56 pm

Well its just in my tea and coffee, I still scoffed a lot of chocolate today and drunk some lemonade! I can't give up sugar full stop, but i'm worried about my teeth, sometimes I can only eat mash potato!

alei
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2007, 11:02 pm

The holidays are always a rough time for me. I suffer from depression at other times as well, but this is the predictable one as it happens every year and lasts the whole month of December. I find it helps to make some time every day to do the things that calm me, listening to music all wrapped up in a blanket, or taking a nice hot bath. Every little thing I can enjoy makes it a tad more bearable. By experience I know that not eating and sleeping well only makes me feel worse for longer, and because its easy to let those slip when I am depressed I pay extra attention to these areas of my life. I also remind myself that I will feel better one day, that I've felt this way before and it always fades with time.

{{{hugs}}}

My artistic side: aleigirl.deviantart.com

My ramblings and insights on being an adult with Asperger's: http://alei-cat.blogspot.com/

SKOREAPV83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Dec 2007, 11:06 pm

I feel the same. I have since I was 17. The only times I did NOT feel like depression's always around the corner for me were 1) from birth to age 7, August 2001, and when I was with the Deaf-Blind in 2003. All other times in my life I felt like depression's always around the corner for me. It really sucks to have to go on like this.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2007, 11:08 pm

I used to feel that way, Ben. I think my imminent change of lifestyle (moving to Vancouver and getting out of the tiny room and the stressful hood where you can never do anything), change of attitude and use of antidepressants helped me tho!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Dec 2007, 12:34 am

This is the first December and Holiday season where I am not depressed. I ordered some gourmet sweets online (marzipan) and found some favorite DVDs on sale, that I like to watch this time of year. Like alei says, it's a matter of being kind to yourself, indulging a little, and soon it will pass. Life is Peaks as well as Valleys.

brfandan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Dec 2007, 12:51 am

the one thing i hate more than people asking me why im so negative/unhappy is when they ask me what is making me feel so happy/upbeat all of a sudden. that kills me.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 9:47 am

alei wrote:
The holidays are always a rough time for me. I suffer from depression at other times as well, but this is the predictable one as it happens every year and lasts the whole month of December. I find it helps to make some time every day to do the things that calm me, listening to music all wrapped up in a blanket, or taking a nice hot bath. Every little thing I can enjoy makes it a tad more bearable. By experience I know that not eating and sleeping well only makes me feel worse for longer, and because its easy to let those slip when I am depressed I pay extra attention to these areas of my life. I also remind myself that I will feel better one day, that I've felt this way before and it always fades with time.

{{{hugs}}}

I do treat myself, and it help for a while. I didn't eat till like 2.30 today, I just forgot. Thanks, I know it does go away, I just don't like it when it comes back.

{{{hugs}}} back to you.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 9:48 am

Ana54 wrote:
I used to feel that way, Ben. I think my imminent change of lifestyle (moving to Vancouver and getting out of the tiny room and the stressful hood where you can never do anything), change of attitude and use of antidepressants helped me tho!

Glad to hear you're ok now, I do take anti-depresants, I'm not sure they're the right ones though, i'm sure there is medication that would help me more.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 9:50 am

hartzofspace wrote:
This is the first December and Holiday season where I am not depressed. I ordered some gourmet sweets online (marzipan) and found some favorite DVDs on sale, that I like to watch this time of year. Like alei says, it's a matter of being kind to yourself, indulging a little, and soon it will pass. Life is Peaks as well as Valleys.

I've got an addiction to buying cd's! It makes me feel great to get that new album or funny film.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 9:51 am

brfandan wrote:
the one thing i hate more than people asking me why im so negative/unhappy is when they ask me what is making me feel so happy/upbeat all of a sudden. that kills me.

Yeah I know what you mean, but its good if you do feel upbeat, try not to let them spoil it for you.

benjimanbreeg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2007, 9:53 am

SKOREAPV83 wrote:
I feel the same. I have since I was 17. The only times I did NOT feel like depression's always around the corner for me were 1) from birth to age 7, August 2001, and when I was with the Deaf-Blind in 2003. All other times in my life I felt like depression's always around the corner for me. It really sucks to have to go on like this.

I was happy when I was young. With the death-blind, helping others keeps me going.

OMGpenguin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2007, 5:51 pm

brfandan wrote:

Kinda like telling a starving man to just eat something, right?