Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 11:03 am

I was at an AS suppourt group the ohter day and someone with AS said too me "People with aspergers might get attention from NTs for all the wrongs reasons"

what does that mean exactley?

SilentScream
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2011, 11:11 am

Depends on the NT, and what you don't want.
The predatory/chancer types might detect that you're vulnerable, and hone in on an opportunity.
The bleeding heart types might treat you like a charity case, and a child to be bossed around.
There will be other types too, but these are just two examples.

The reason why I mention that it's partially dependent on what you don't want is that you might be in a situation where a bit of mothering/bossing around would be welcome.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 11:13 am

Its possible that NT's may try to take advantage of you (for reasons previously stated and others) because they view you as vulnerable. It's a power trip/ego boost.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 11:32 am

I know what this means because it happened to me my entire life. Attention is not always good unless you are a celebrity pulling plublicity stunts and even those can backfire. When I get attention that's nonproductive for things I cannot help, I would rather not have it.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

I think this is refering to how people percive us. I know that i can tend to come across as rude or condesending when i disagree on something. I also used to really blow up over fairly little things. In hind sight these things all point back to my diagnosis, however i had 34 years without that explanation. And my behavoir certainly did draw attention. Just not the kind that was really needed.

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 3:46 pm

joestenr wrote:
I think this is refering to how people percive us. I know that i can tend to come across as rude or condesending when i disagree on something. I also used to really blow up over fairly little things. In hind sight these things all point back to my diagnosis, however i had 34 years without that explanation. And my behavoir certainly did draw attention. Just not the kind that was really needed.

Ditto.
I think the posters above have a point also: that we might at times fall victim to "predators" more often than others in some situations, due to the fact we may have a harder time reading honesty/dishonesty from body language and vocal inflection.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 3:51 pm

SilentScream wrote:
Depends on the NT, and what you don't want.
The predatory/chancer types might detect that you're vulnerable, and hone in on an opportunity.
The bleeding heart types might treat you like a charity case, and a child to be bossed around.
There will be other types too, but these are just two examples.

The reason why I mention that it's partially dependent on what you don't want is that you might be in a situation where a bit of mothering/bossing around would be welcome.

This is basically what I would say.