Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

venuseagle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jan 2008, 5:20 pm

Anyone else have difficulties eating in front of people? I find the whole process extremely difficult, from putting the food on the fork to bringing it up to my mouth, to actually having to chew and swallow. It's not that it's embarassing or anything like that. I just can't do it under the pressure of being with others (other than direct family). I tend to avoid eating out and can't stand having people round for dinner. It's almost like a guilt thing and I have no idea how to overcome it. Social situations are already a no-go area, but add food to the equasion, and I panic even more :roll:

V

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Jan 2008, 5:23 pm

I feel like that, too. What I've started to do, is on the rare occasions that I eat out with others, I order things that are really easy to eat neatly, and avoid stuff like pasta, salad, etc. I find that if I can take tiny bites of food, I can enjoy it better than trying to manage stuff that is hard to chew neatly or may fall easily off the fork, en route to my mouth. :wink:

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2008, 5:34 pm

Not me. I use food as an excuse to not have to small talk. And nibbling on snacks and crunching ice is one of my more normal looking stims, so I feel less wierd finding food at parties and gatherings than just standing there twisting my fingers or pacing around.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 5:36 pm

I used to, when I was really young, but not anymore. If you keep trying it, you should get over it. It's kind of a concentration thing-you have to concentrate on eating the food, and forget the people around you. They won't bother you when you're eating, anyway. If they stare at you, then they are the one with the problem.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 5:47 pm

At the back of my mind there's something obscene about shoving food in your mouth in public, especially when you see the way some people eat, but you have to forget about that. I spose I find eye contact obscene too.

GetDownOnIt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2008, 6:04 pm

I've gone through phases of being very subconscious of it. I'm more so when on my own (as in, around strangers in public but not a part of a group). In a group, I tend to be too busy talking/listening to think about it. But still, I'm careful of the way I eat. I get self conscious about stuff being around my mouth.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 6:27 pm

am don't eat out in public places either,and always eat on own at home,am do not like it because it's extremely overwhelming already with sensory input,the idea of eating out to am is like going to torture.
Just the sensory input from one other person [such as noise,or seeing their colours/shape there] disables am from being able to eat so am eat on own in bedroom.

Am would say to anyone who feels tortured by eating out in public places for whatever reason,don't do it if it's that bad,there's no law to say have to do it,and can always get food out somewhere and take it back home/where are comfortable,or restaurants can box/bag things [if do not want to go to some chippy type place]

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 6:37 pm

The disorder of eating topic

When I was in high school from 1969 to 1971 I was so afraid of eating my lunch (from home) in a very crowded 8O cafeteria I hid in the washroom where I chowed down. I was worried someone would see all the dribbling and it was easier to hide in the cubicles. I would eat I quickly and leave just as fast so that I could get into the library.

I never knew anyone else was as private about eating as I am. I like to read when I eat so I do not have to worry about conversation. There is enough to worry about without digestive problems. :)

I hated high school so much I left and did not return until 1986-1988 when I finished all my high school credits at night school. No worries about cafeterias! :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

26 Jan 2008, 6:49 pm

Oh my gosh...I thought that I was the only one who did this!
When I was a young child under the age of 8, I had a problem eating with others around me. Whenever my family would take me out to a restaurant, I would refuse to eat. My mother would have to take the food home for me, or leave it at the restaurant and give me something else at home.
I have no idea why I did this for. I can't exactly remember the reason, but I remember doing this a lot. At times, I still do have a problem with this. I will eat infront of others, but it makes me uncomfortable.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 9:16 pm

to be honest, no one's really paying attention...;)

Never been that big a deal to me. I do have a bad habit of listening to other people's conversations (the 'cocktail effect') as a means of entertainment, though.

Cirrus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2008, 10:12 pm

I'm like this too. Subtle coordination is enough of a challenge. Feeling people's stares while trying to eat knots up my stomach ending my appetite. Even at home, I'm uncomfortable being around others while eating. It's a lot easier for me to eat alone... at least then I can use a spoon :D.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2008, 11:11 pm

I am quite uncomfortable eating in public. I feel awkward and find that I get rather clumsy, which of course adds to the discomfort.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 1:07 pm

I do feel under pressure wen other ppl r eatin wid u dis is why i eat on me own as i have my own personal space.

Deefor4
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jan 2008, 2:13 pm

I love good food, and I don't mind eating out, although I'd much rather it was with family, but I always feel very awkward with the waiter/waitress - I'm never sure how I'm expected to behave. Smile and acknowledge their existence, and say "thankyou"? Ignore them and carry on talking to whoever I'm with - virtually impossible, as being aware of the waiter being there and trying to continue talking amounts to doing two things at once, and that's something I just can't do?

And please don't ask if I want to taste the wine. Even if it tastes like horse pee strained through a used sweatsock, I'm going to nod, smile and say it's fine. Just bung it in my glass and leave me alone. Ta.

Mork
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jan 2008, 4:30 pm

Mikomi wrote:
I am quite uncomfortable eating in public. I feel awkward and find that I get rather clumsy, which of course adds to the discomfort.

I feel very self-conscious when I have to eat in public. If I'm with someone then it's not too bad but if I'm alone I cannot in front of others.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2008, 4:46 pm

Mork wrote:
Mikomi wrote:

I feel very self-conscious when I have to eat in public. If I'm with someone then it's not too bad but if I'm alone I cannot in front of others.

I think you could overcome your fear, if you forced yourself to do it just once. That's what I did--I was nervous at first, and kept glancing around, but no-one seemed to notice me, so after that it just got easier.
Now I actually get a kind of joy from eating in a food court or something--you almost feel like you're having dinner with all the others, even though you don't interact with them, it's just kind of a feeling of being part of something. That sounds weird I know... but it's true. :)