Feel normal one moment, then abnormal the next

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Shower
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2008, 2:54 pm

I consider myself a healthy good looking young man. I often excel in social situations and become the life "of the party", so to speak. But another day, I can be this kind of anxiety filled borderline mess. 90% of the time I make more than well due in conversation, if I'm in tune to that aspect of my personality. The thing is I've struggled with anxiety and depression for years. On the other hand, I have this thing inside of me that knows damn well how to handle myself. But when I neglect this, I relapse back into a zone that has more than enough complications.

I feel like it's a constant struggle between normal and abnormal.

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2008, 2:58 pm

Shower wrote:
I consider myself a healthy good looking young man. I often excel in social situations and become the life "of the party", so to speak. But another day, I can be this kind of anxiety filled borderline mess. 90% of the time I make more than well due in conversation, if I'm in tune to that aspect of my personality. The thing is I've struggled with anxiety and depression for years. On the other hand, I have this thing inside of me that knows damn well how to handle myself. But when I neglect this, I relapse back into a zone that has more than enough complications.

I feel like it's a constant struggle between normal and abnormal.

Bi-Polar Mania? Nah
Most people, even NT's have periods of time where they are anxious and depressed. Could be normal, but you're not being very descriptive.

Shower
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Feb 2008, 7:26 pm

it's like i'm a part time aspie

i want to sustain a medium or balance because i experience symptoms at random. when i am in a good mood it's like the symptoms are alleviated. it's all about the positive vibes.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 8:19 pm

I feel normal at work, but embarrassingly abnormal when performing small tasks that everyone else takes for granted.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 10:40 pm

As long as I don't forget myself, and go for another taste of shoe leather, I know what you mean. I try, but it doesn't always work...

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2008, 11:00 pm

I only feel normal when I'm by myself, lol, and that's only because I have no one else's behavior to observe, I suppose. I don't think I feel abnormal, so to speak, when around others... I just feel awkward at times, and more sane than many I meet, lol.

I'm my own guinea pig.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

11 Feb 2008, 12:14 pm

hm. i think i gave the same problems with feeling different :?

sarahstilettos
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2008, 12:21 pm

well, i believe it is possible for us to be extroverted on occassion. when you're being the life and soul of the party, are you still at the same time... not being rude you understand... ever so slightly odd? Because I can be talkative at times but if I'm honest with myself I think people still perceive me as being deeply weird, if (hopefully) likeable.

tybald
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2008, 5:37 pm

I'm glad I read this. I was just about to post a thread entitled good days/bad days because I get exactly the same thing. There have been times in my life when I've felt like I belong socially but they're relatively few and far between. The friends I have all know me well and I can be myself around them, although I still put on a persona a lot of the time. I've got so good at this that the times I'm most happy are when I forget I'm even doing this and get very caught up in my 'social persona'. As I'm very new to the whole thing (only really heard of Asperger's a few days ago) I'm still trying to get a lot of things straight in my head but I think there may be more to it than the average mood changes everyone gets.

I also find that it doesn't take much to end a good spell. A few choice words from someone or some stress can bring the illusion down pretty rapidly, but I'm finally coming to accept that this is just the way it is and not become too invested in the whole process. That's probably best for me because as its so new to me I'm still trying to get to grips with the fact that I have Asperger's and not being so hard on myself for being the 'odd one out', saying the wrong thing etc.