Page 3 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

craola
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2008, 8:42 am

Eating Disorders used to be in fashion. They were for a long, long time.

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 10:14 am

wow, for the first time ever in my life i'm FASHIONABLE!! !! ! :lol: woo hoo! :D

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 12:48 pm

LMAO! :lol: ....so what u gonna do now...hey maybe we could take a money for people seeing us if we are fhasionable :) (just joking)

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Mar 2008, 2:35 pm

Chadk wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
Now I get NTs wondering out loud if they have AS. :roll:

How do you know they are NT? Seems extremely arrogant to me.

Because I know them, and they do things like attend games, go to loud parties, and can't understand my reluctance to join them. It's not arrogant, extreme or otherwise, to voice an opinion. That's what WP is for.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 7:54 am

this reminds me of the time I was recognised from WP in the bathroom at a bar by a trendy looking, smartly dressed attractive girl, who was in there with her girlfriends...

I don't think she is on WP anymore though.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 8:07 am

I've been a Techie since 1994, but I forget important details and have a very difficult time taking tests. You can't get letters after your name without passing tests.

As for Fashionable, I never hear any of that. I see it on the web, though ...

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Apr 2008, 4:38 pm

Odin wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
Back in the 90's, the DX of Bipolar Disorder was all the rage. And before that, it was Multiple Personality Disorder. When I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, I had a friend who actually said that she envied me, because she considered it more interesting than plain old Depression! Now I get NTs wondering out loud if they have AS. :roll: Just why this is seen to be an advantage, I don't understand at all. Maybe we should have something like in the beginning of that movie, It's A Wonderful Life , where the angel gets to see George Baily's life up until the present. Then they can see how fun it is to have AS and not know it.

Bipolar, and now AS, are "fashionable" because they are associated with certain traits or gifts. Bipolar is associated with creativity and AS is associated with extensive technical knowledge (especially in computers). The labels also are used as a badge of non-conformity.

So true! Very well put.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 4:58 pm

What? It's definitely not popular when you have it!

I wouldn't take away my Aspergers, but I certainly don't wish it for anybody. It's very lonely sometimes.

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 4:58 pm

shadexiii wrote:
demoluca wrote:
They should have a catigory thats "suspecting aspergers" or "suspecting autism"

There is. Self-diagnosed. Can't remember, but I think there's also a "Not sure if I have it" option.

I too think there should be a "suspected Asperger's" category. I strongly suspect I have Asperger's, but I'm NOT "self-diagnosed". I would not attempt to "self-diagnose" myself with anything.

I don't like the existing "Have Asperger's - undiagnosed" or "Not sure if I have it or not" categories.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 5:00 pm

It's that f*****g Napoleon Dynamite movie's fault. That made it cool to be uncool.

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 7:27 pm

LOL. Funny, cos I don't understand it.

Of course, this could have the unwanted side effect of those who DO have AS being torn apart in communities such as this, by those who are over-cautious of those who are just following the 'fad'.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2008, 12:37 am

I'm still not buying it. Where are you guys meeting all these aspie wannabes anyway? Have you really encountered enough suspicously NT aspies to be able to call it fashionable? I'm not talking about the internet. That's not a reliable source to know other people. Until I start seeing and hearing other people even talking about AS, it's an urban myth as far as I'm concerned.

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 12:59 am

Pithlet wrote:
I'm still not buying it. Where are you guys meeting all these aspie wannabes anyway? Have you really encountered enough suspicously NT aspies to be able to call it fashionable? I'm not talking about the internet. That's not a reliable source to know other people. Until I start seeing and hearing other people even talking about AS, it's an urban myth as far as I'm concerned.

I agree. A high-ranking psychologist at a major university told my dad that it's become fashionable for people who "don't really have it" to say they have AS, but I'm just not seeing it. How can something be fashionable when most people have no idea what it is? It's rare for me to find someone who's heard of AS in real life and rarer still for me to find someone who really understands it. People at the Dean of Students office and someone who has an aspie cousin are pretty much the only people who've known about it when I've told them.

oxes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Apr 2008, 2:19 am

i feel like part of the explanation here lies in that asperger's has a fairly wide spectrum of symptoms. some of the symptoms are shared with other mental issues like ADD, or autism, and some arent. some of them also resemble odd traits that those referred to here as NT's might or might not have.

people self diagnose based on these types of similarities. they do it because 1) asperger's is an interesting thing to learn about, and 2) people are naturally 'hypochondriacs'. how many times have you heard from someone "oh i think i'm getting sick" or "i've got a bad ____" without any medical support?

a third reason would be that introverts, whether autistic, ADD, asperger's or none of the above, tend to self diagnose with a condition that they think fits what they feel at the time. used to be people would self-diagnose as clinically depressed, or maybe bipolar disorder. maybe now they self-diagnose with asperger's.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 3:56 am

I think the "Aspergers Fashion" is the only thing that is a myth. Even after Napolean Dynamite, though he was pretty cool, Im sorry, but I just dont see NTs lining up to be on the spectrum. If anything the NTs who I talk to deny the existence of the spectrum.

Oh, and for the record, Im self diagnosed, and Im not an introvert.

Taking a break.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 7:30 am

ebec11 wrote:
What? It's definitely not popular when you have it!

I wouldn't take away my Aspergers, but I certainly don't wish it for anybody. It's very lonely sometimes.

no it is not popular when you have it, i agree, and it is a lonely thing to live, i'm sure of that.
it is not about the 'label' either but about the issues,
so even without label you can just as well 'suffer' from the issues.

Pithlet wrote:

I don't think Asperger's really IS fashionable, but some people SAY it is, I have no idea whether there are people who are actually 'pretending' to have AS,
But: there are people who do say "Oh, Yes, but nowadays everyone has Asperger's".
People told me that, and I've read similar reports of others.
I think that is a very unhealthy way of reacting,
First it has made me think that I was only making it up for myself. While the moment I really stopped doubting about it (and hey ho I am 40 ! ! so I really did know that something had been going on all my life!) I finally decided to go for a diagnosis, to have a better knowledge of this 'certain way of being'
and
Second it makes me not want to talk about it which only makes the isolation worse.
And maybe I can deal with that now, but I surely would not have been able to deal with that when I was 20 !