I might not have Asperger's. Do you hate me?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 8:52 pm

The last psychologist I saw told me that he didn't believe I have Asperger's Syndrome. I disagree with his belief, and want to undergo a formal examination for Asperger's Syndrome. But assuming that he is right, and I don't have Asperger's Syndrome, or any other ASD for that matter, do you hate me? :D

Capriccio
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2008, 8:57 pm

Not at all, welcome to WP :)

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Apr 2008, 9:01 pm

Mw99 wrote:
The last psychologist I saw told me that he didn't believe I have Asperger's Syndrome. I disagree with his belief, and want to undergo a formal examination for Asperger's Syndrome. But assuming that he is right, and I don't have Asperger's Syndrome, or any other ASD for that matter, do you hate me? :D

That's ridiculous. If you thought you had Asperger's you probably do. Most psychologists are not qualified to diagnose Asperger's Syndrome. My girlfriend's psychologist said the same thing. He said something like "you have friends and make eye contact" katie said, "actually I look at your nose, not your eyes."

JohKnip
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Apr 2008, 9:04 pm

i look at peoples feet....but dont worry mw99 i still love u XD

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:07 pm

Yes.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:07 pm

Well my psychologist and therapist know I have AS. I was diagnosis at medical center basically for Developmental Delay (Later AS) and ADHD.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:11 pm

I don't hate ya.

I might not have it either, and I dont have many close firends OR look people in the eye.

I will never know for sure unless i win the lottery and can go to a doctor.

sinagua
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2008, 9:14 pm

I don't know how old you are.

I'm 38 and I doubt I could get a diagnosis even if I wanted one now. But the more I learn about my son, and my husband, and the more memories I dredge up from my childhood, combined with what I know about myself now...the more I believe I do have AS. It explains SO much...but it also doesn't ultimately define me and who/what I am. There are other challenges I have that I would've had even without the AS.

That said - don't be silly. :wink:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:17 pm

sinagua wrote:
I don't know how old you are.

May I suggest radiocarbon dating?

Sorry, bad joke. I've got mummies and prehistoric creatures in my head right now.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:24 pm

I don't hate you either.

RedTape0651

01 Apr 2008, 9:25 pm

This highlights an important point. AS is not just about social skills and special interests. It is also about physical coordination, executive function, sensory sensitivities. Not to mention things like fairly specific skill sets, savant skills in some people, good visualization skills in some people, associational thinking, and a different way of thinking in general. If psychologists fail to understand the breadth of AS symptoms, I am not sure how the general public can be informed of the breadth of AS symptoms.

alex wrote:
Mw99 wrote:

That's ridiculous. If you thought you had Asperger's you probably do. Most psychologists are not qualified to diagnose Asperger's Syndrome. My girlfriend's psychologist said the same thing. He said something like "you have friends and make eye contact" katie said, "actually I look at your nose, not your eyes."

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:28 pm

8O Buuuuuuuurn Him/er :lol:

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:30 pm

I hate you, but only because I love hating so much. And it's still April Fools for 2 and half hours.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:34 pm

alex wrote:
Mw99 wrote:

I look at like anything but. People only seem to mention it when they want to intimidate me or get me to commit to something in a stern way. That has only happened perhaps 5 times in my life! Of course, I earlier had the "look at me while I'm talking" deal quite a bit, but THAT was obvious.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:36 pm

I've been clinically quasi diagnosed by someone who *actually* works with, rehabilitates, and advocates for people with aspergers--even has shiny neurotypically acceptable credentials and connections. I have not had some idiot authorized to dish out meds look at me and sign a slip saying "You have aspergers". I had the people who KNOW do that.

I KNEW.
I was a CONFIRMED.
I recieved my rehab based on those TWO.

What is real, what is make believe.

I still have to live MY life, regardless of the education or lack thereof around me.

The problem is we are inclined first to take the risk and believe that someone with the certificate *should know* what they are talking about. When they are incorrect, we stim our thoughts for the amount of time it takes for us to UNDERSTAND what second opinion MEANS.

That, because idiots are GIVEN credentials on bookwork (not rational or brainwork or savy) alone, that sometimes or often depending on your locale and legislation, you will NEED a second opinion, as you've just been (maybe even dangerously) HAD. If you've survived it, congradulations, no appologees or explainations given. If you are lucky enough to move on, step two, the appropriately credentialed doctor.

Good Luck! Be Safe. Welcome! And Hello!

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 9:40 pm

alex wrote:
If you thought you had Asperger's you probably do.

I don't know, in my experience, those who think they have it rarely turn out having the disorder in question. This is going by my online observations, obviously.