Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2012, 8:35 pm

I lost my voice last week and it still has not at all come back. It is 100% gone. :(

For over 30 days now my voice has been going in and out or it at times gets very very low. But now it's just gone and has not come back.
Before the 100% lost of it I did go see my DR and he did some test to see what was going on. some of the test show 0 and some are not back just yet. but one test did show it maybe the part in the brain for speech is going nuts and I am having seizures. (But not the big ones.) I did know of the seizures for some time now.

I am having little seizures. (Not The big ones.) (Called Simple partial seizures.) The ones that just affect only a small region of the brain and not all of it. and the part they maybe happening in is the part that controls speech.

I "Do Not" thank my lost of voice is due to having autism but I did have a speech delay. and speech problems as a kid. I know the seizures are due to me having autism.

:?: Has this happen to others that have seizures and autism? and if it did. Did your voice come back in time and how long was it gone? :?:

This suck big time for me not to talk. In Nov of 1999 I had to start using a Power Wheelchair full time due to having Muscular Dystrophy (MD) and that sucked but this sucks more then that.
BTW they did say it was not my Muscular Dystrophy (MD) or my voice box doing this. and I did not have a stroke and I am not at all sick.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 10:34 pm

Yowza! I'm no doctor by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldn't even begin to know where to guess. But I would guess that going to a neurologist may be a good start. Could be a tumor.

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2012, 11:22 pm

Longshanks wrote:
Yowza! I'm no doctor by any stretch of the imagination. I wouldn't even begin to know where to guess. But I would guess that going to a neurologist may be a good start. Could be a tumor.

Longshanks

I have been seeing a neurologist. He did not find no tumor's on the test that did come back.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:52 pm

You do need to keep checking with your doctor on your situation, and take more tests.

I know how loss of voice feels. I had a nasty cold in late Aug/early Sept. It lasted for 3 weeks. I got laryngitis early on, and it lasted for two or three weeks more after the cold was gone. I did eventually get my voice back, but it is not the same as before the bad cold. Because of the internal nasal dripping during the cold, I kept coughing, which caused the laryngitis, and the coughing kept me awake for 24/7 for almost the ENTIRE 3 weeks. By the time the cold was over I was practically nuts from lack of sleep, and I still don't feel caught up, yet.

My father managed to add to my insanity. He kept calling me on the phone every day while I was sick, to check on me. He is hard of hearing, and kept telling me to speak up. UH, hey Dad I have laryngitis and can't talk louder. I told him that every day, but it didn't do any good. I literally couldn't make any sounds with my voice box, it was not capable of any vibrating. I could only talk in an air whisper, and that wasn't loud enough for my father.

I hope your problem is not serious, and that the cause is found and fixed soon.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:55 pm

That's baaad. D:

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 1:05 am

I know it can happen. Autistics under stress will lose the ability to talk temporarily. Occasionally, permanently. But you have other issues than just autism--the epilepsy and the MD, for starters--so the evaluations make sense.

In the meanwhile, do you have a way to effectively communicate with other people? It's been a month, and maybe it's time to figure out something more sophisticated than writing notes. Some people use a text to speech program on an iPad or something similar.

If you keep on having problems with speech, maybe see a speech therapist? See if you have something neurological going on, or if it's selective mutism, or if it's just a lot of stress piling up on you and your brain's cutting corners. At the very least you could get some advice on alternative ways to communicate when your voice won't work.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2012, 12:55 am

Callista wrote:
I know it can happen. Autistics under stress will lose the ability to talk temporarily. Occasionally, permanently. But you have other issues than just autism--the epilepsy and the MD, for starters--so the evaluations make sense.

In the meanwhile, do you have a way to effectively communicate with other people? It's been a month, and maybe it's time to figure out something more sophisticated than writing notes. Some people use a text to speech program on an iPad or something similar.

If you keep on having problems with speech, maybe see a speech therapist? See if you have something neurological going on, or if it's selective mutism, or if it's just a lot of stress piling up on you and your brain's cutting corners. At the very least you could get some advice on alternative ways to communicate when your voice won't work.

Yes I am looking in to alternative ways to communicate. I have a laptop I can put something on to do text to speech but having to pull a laptop out every time to talk to some one will be a pain.

This is now day #10 and still no voice at all. Still 100% gone. :(

Some one know a good text to speech program for windows 7? I like to find a good "free" one for now.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

26 Feb 2012, 1:22 am

I have seizues...the big ones, the small ones and everything in between.
However are you on seizure meds.

I have had the best success with Carbatrol ER at high doses like 800 mg daily.

You may need your seizure med adjusted.

Jojo

TheSunAlsoRises
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 1:24 am

Aphonia

IF you are taking any medication make sure this is NOT a side effect.

TheSunAlsoRises

Ellendra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Feb 2012, 4:13 pm

If you find a solution, please post it. I lost my voice back in September and haven't gotten it back yet.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

26 Feb 2012, 10:02 pm

iSpy wrote:
Some one know a good text to speech program for windows 7? I like to find a good "free" one for now.

The Natural Reader demo seems to be fairly decent:

http://www.naturalreaders.com/features.htm

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 10:19 pm

I hope you get your voice back.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 11:24 pm

My blessings are with you. I pray your voice emerges once again. I highly doubt it's a tumor though. Just a feeling I have.

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Feb 2012, 4:43 am

My Voice has a 50/50% of coming back and if its comes back I do not know how it will be it maybe low, very low, or OK. and if it did come back it will not last. The Dr's do not know how long I have it if it did come back at all. For now it is still 100% gone and it is not trying to come back at all. So that is not good at all. Test is showing seizure activity all over and of more types.

The seizure that hit the voice region of my brain called the Broca's area.
The Dr says due to the brain being Abnormal to start with is Due to me having Autism and the seizures are due to me having Autism.

So the "Direct Cause" of why I have lost speech is due to damage of my Broca's area due to seizures.
But at the same time my brain and the Broca's area was Abnormal to start with. So the seizures "may have" did my Broca's area in all the way.

So the "Root Cause" is the Autism.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 4:46 am

I'm glad you're voice is coming back!!

iSpy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Mar 2012, 2:38 am

Mithos wrote:
I'm glad you're voice is coming back!!

No it is not re-read my last post.

It's been over 3 weeks now and I still can not talk at all. :cry: (The 17th it will be 30 days)
I just do not under stand how a seizure can just make some one non verbal like this.
I do know that the seizures I have are due to the Autism. But for the DR to say what he did. and saying it the way he did.
"Direct Cause" seizures.
"Root Cause" Autism. :?

I have looked all over the internet and can find this ever happening to some one at my age. :? :?