Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

REM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2008, 4:12 pm

Hey im new here, names Craig, I was diagnosed with selective mutism by a local and lets say not so qualified doctor. Anyway when I look on various sites about what are the symptoms of autism, I see that most of them apply to me and also with some other disorders too. Especially when they say things like "Appears to be in his or her own world" and "use of language and difficulty starting or keeping up conversations".

I don't like to self diagnose, because I know how many people hate it when people do that. I would just like to know if i really am autistic or not, sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I would really like to know.

Oh and I was born blue, if thats any help.

Thanks.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 4:17 pm

Based on the information provided, it sounds like you could be on the spectrum. One option would be to find a better qualified doctor and ask his or her opinion.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 5:35 pm

Selective mutism? Does that happen INVOLUNTARILY when you are under stress? If so, that sounds like a meltdown! An Autistic/AS symptom. As for your being born blue, a lot of people born blue congenitally have RH- blood! Do YOU? A LOT of people here have RH- blood, relative to the population as a whole. Certainly, RH- doesn't mean you are autistic/AS BUT, apparently, it increases the chance you might be.

Of course, there are symptoms psychiatrists use to make sure, like the others you listed, but you probably already checked those out also.

REM

20 Apr 2008, 6:03 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Selective mutism? Does that happen INVOLUNTARILY when you are under stress? If so, that sounds like a meltdown! An Autistic/AS symptom. As for your being born blue, a lot of people born blue congenitally have RH- blood! Do YOU? A LOT of people here have RH- blood, relative to the population as a whole. Certainly, RH- doesn't mean you are autistic/AS BUT, apparently, it increases the chance you might be.

Of course, there are symptoms psychiatrists use to make sure, like the others you listed, but you probably already checked those out also.

Wow

Ok first of if you don't what sm means - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_mutism and yeah it does happen involuntarily.

On the blood thing, to be honest I really don't know.

Whats with all the explanation marks and questions. :roll:

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 6:21 pm

REM wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

Wow

Ok first of if you don't what sm means - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_mutism and yeah it does happen involuntarily.

NOPE, I knew. I was just checking

REM wrote:

Outside of the apparent RH- connection, it really means little.

REM wrote:

Sorry, I overuse the exclamation points. The questions were just to make sure.

REM

20 Apr 2008, 6:35 pm

Its ok, It just kind of seemed like an interrogation. :lol:

Thanks for replying.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 6:41 pm

REM wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

Wow

Certian situations like around a really pretty girl i don't know i'll forget how to talk

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Apr 2008, 6:44 pm

That's just the way 2ukenkerl talks. He talks with lots of exclamation points in real life too! LOL

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 6:50 pm

Liverbird wrote:
That's just the way 2ukenkerl talks. He talks with lots of exclamation points in real life too! LOL

What is the emphasis THAT obvious? One guy HATED my use of asterisks and, when he heard me in a conference, he said he couldn't hear the asterisks!

REM

20 Apr 2008, 7:17 pm

MartyMoose wrote:
REM wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

Wow

Certian situations like around a really pretty girl i don't know i'll forget how to talk

Yeah well pretty girls or any girl for that matter don't even talk to me, the just walk past me with their noise in the air like their all that.

As far the exclamation points, its all good I was just wondering.

REM

20 Apr 2008, 9:29 pm

I'm probably not knowing me, its probably just me latching onto to a disorder to explain my weird behavior. I guess I'm just really f****d up.

ViatorRose

20 Apr 2008, 10:02 pm

Hello Craig
Welcome to Wrong Planet

I also have selective mutism. The sm is self diagnosed. Oddly enough it did not feature as part of the 'official' Asperger diagnosis. The words 'selective mutism' were never once offered, I discovered the term through reading in the library. I refer to this as unusual because my inability to communicate effectively forms the crux of my social difficulties, more so than not comprehending how people relate to each other.

Do you communicate by using signs or written words, or another method?

Personally I have a small notepad with some key phrases in it, such as the price and destination of my bus journey, and show the words whenever I am required to talk. This is far from ideal and not universally accepted by the public.

I have begun to learn sign language but have no one to speak it with! I do not expect my family to learn this. They are resistent to do so when we already have a language in common i.e. written/heard English.

Please feel free to private message me if you can relate to this, I would like to get to know some fellow voluntary mutes.

DivaD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 7:27 pm

hi, another (semi-)voluntary mute here! :D most of my problems are with communication. i find whether i can talk or not depends on many things, stress is one but often not the biggest factor. others are who i'm talking to, how i'm feeling, how early in the morning it is, all sorts of things... sometimes its like my mind goes blank and there's no wirds there at all. other times there's too much words, but its like my brain isn't in sync and if i did force myself to speak the words would come out in the wrong order, or the wrong words completely :oops:

anyway welcome to wp :)