Any link between AS and perfectionism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 1:59 pm

Do you think there is a link between having AS and being a perfectionist?

I'm the kind of person that simply cannot, for example, turn in a homework assignment without it being absolutely flawless. I was wondering if this is a common thing.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 2:36 pm

maybe, many times I feel bad doing something not up to the best :(

...I also hate lazy people, can't stand to be with them...

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2008, 2:42 pm

The Complete Guide To Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood wrote:
The learning profile of children and adults with Asperger's syndrome can include a tendency to focus on errors, a need to fix an irregularity and a desire to be a perfectionist. This can lead to a fear of making a mistake and the child's refusal to commence an activity unless he or she can complete it perfectly.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 2:56 pm

I can see how the two might be related.

I myself have some perfectionist tendencies, though usually it pertains to tasks I care about, or things that must be done well (like gifts, cover letters for jobs, . However, if it's an assignment that I don't care about, I can stand not having everything exactly as it should be in an ideal situation. Nonetheless, certain things, like perfect spelling and grammar, are important to me no matter what the situation, unless it calls for something less or different specifically.

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2008, 3:10 pm

I think with me it's OCD related and OCD is very closely related to Aspergers.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2008, 3:18 pm

I am a perfectionist, i explains it on my IEP as well so teachers know that I might try to throw work away that is actually good work but not up to my standards.

Like you Kirska, my work has to be absolutely flawless before it is handed in.

Not just with school work either, perfectionism applies to almost all aspects of my life like school, in a job, playing something on guitar, handwriting etc...

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 3:49 pm

yes perfectionsim ot the attempt of is an AS feature.
many AS will become disheartened and give up on something, appear lazy when they try to complete something , my advice?
forget perfection....it cant be done
just aim for good enough
why?
i did a degree in veterinary science. i couldnt be perfect it was too hard, i didnt give up i adapted. i did enough to get by
why?
because if i didnt i wouldnt have finished.
im glad i did now.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Aug 2008, 4:01 pm

donkey wrote:
yes perfectionsim ot the attempt of is an AS feature.
many AS will become disheartened and give up on something, appear lazy when they try to complete something , my advice?
forget perfection....it cant be done
just aim for good enough
why?
i did a degree in veterinary science. i couldnt be perfect it was too hard, i didnt give up i adapted. i did enough to get by
why?
because if i didnt i wouldnt have finished.
im glad i did now.

I agree, perfection can't be done. Trying to do everything perfectly all the time is an impossible goal and it does make life a whole lot more difficult. This year in college I am going to try and do what you did in your degree and try not do do everything perfect, because I know I can't and it will just cause me unnecessary stress.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 4:02 pm

Yeah... I had something happen at my first job when I was 16 that made me stop being a complete perfectionist.

I still try to make everything perfect, but I've learned to not be completely crushed if I don't perfect something. I used to have fits if I did something wrong. Now I've accepted that usually my best *is* good enough :P

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 4:04 pm

computerlove wrote:

I couldn't agree more.

If I had a dollar for every time I've done all the work in a group project, I wouldn't need to go to college.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 4:31 pm

I hate not being able to finish a job - work is becoming annoying as I'm expected to start one job, then half-way through, go on to another, or finish someone else's work - BAD...
When I clean thoroughly I don't get the satisfaction of "Wow, you really cleaned that up, never seen it like that before"

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 4:50 pm

computerlove wrote:
maybe, many times I feel bad doing something not up to the best :(

SAME HERE, on BOTH counts!

__biro wrote:
I am a perfectionist, i explains it on my IEP as well so teachers know that I might try to throw work away that is actually good work but not up to my standards.

Like you Kirska, my work has to be absolutely flawless before it is handed in.

Not just with school work either, perfectionism applies to almost all aspects of my life like school, in a job, playing something on guitar, handwriting etc...

I USED to be a perfectionist, but I understand the IEP reference. I was the SAME way!

Kirska wrote:
computerlove wrote:

I couldn't agree more.

If I had a dollar for every time I've done all the work in a group project, I wouldn't need to go to college.

Tell me about it. The last three projects I was on, and the 2 biggest prior to that, would not have gone ANYWHERE without me, and some I DID do 100% myself. I'll probably NEVER be a manager agaiin. The last time I was, I ended up doing all the work. 8-( Things got done, and fast, but there is only so much 1 person can do.

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2008, 5:08 pm

Most definately a perfectionist here. If I do something, I need it to be done right or else it bugs me until it is fixed. It also makes me procrastinate on most things because I know how long it will take to do it.

I've gotten a lot better at not showing this side of me and trying not to let the slightly lopsided picture or the desk that is not set up exactly right bother me... however it still does. Grabs a hold of my intestines and starts yanking. Happens wherever I go and I would love to get rid of this annoying feeling.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 5:13 pm

I think the rate of perfectionism on the Spectrum is higher than among NTs.

Why? A lot of different Spectrum tendencies:
() Seeing details, rather than the big picture.
() Loving order and predictability.
() Hyperfocusing/perseveration.
() The inability to do something "just well enough", because it's hard to judge where that point is.
() OCD or OCPD, both of which are more common on the Spectrum.
() Special interests.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 5:29 pm

I love order. Will order anything I can. Good with moving, good at setting a mess straight.

However, all my life I've been an EXTREMELY messy kid. The day to day task of keeping stuff like my desk in elementary school, my backpack, my locker, my room, always "drains" me, bores me, seems absolutely pointless. I don't know why. At work, EVERYTHING is in perfect order. Unless I'm distracted and have to leave my assignment...

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2008, 5:33 pm

__biro wrote:

In 7th grade Honors History, after thoroughly disgusting my teacher for the last time, which happened to be the last day of the quarter, he dumped my backpack. In total frustration. I had a MILLION pieces of paper from all different classes stuffed in there. What did we find? Enough completed assignments to turn an "F" grade into a low "C."