You need to be perfect to join the army?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

16 Aug 2008, 12:04 am

Okay I have learned that if you have any health problems or disabilities, it seems like you will be rejected to join. I am talking about the navy, army, etc.

They wouldn't take my boyfriend because of his learning disabilities.
They wouldn't take his brother either because of his asthma.
They wouldn't take my online friend because of his bedwetting, CP in his back, ADHD and learning disability.
I know someone else online who couldn't be in the marines anymore because he got incontinent. So now he works as a police officer raising his four kids.

I can remember getting a phone call from one of them when I was about 19 and it was a guy trying to get me to join the navy and I wasn't interested. He asked me if I have any problems like health issues or disabilities. I said I had anxiety, depression, OCD, (at the time I thought I did because it was in my IEP records from elementary school) and I can't remember if I mentioned I have AS too and I also said I was on medication. He asked what i take them for and I didn't want to tell him because it was embarrassing. he said i didn't qualify. I didn't care because I didn't want to join. So basically they probably don't take you if you are on medication, if you have depression or anxiety, OCD and I also heard you can't join if you have AS.

Seems like to me you have to be perfect to join the army, marines, navy, etc. Have no health problems or disabilities. Have nothing wrong with you to join.

I can understand why you can't join if you have certain conditions like if you are in a wheel chair because you need to use your legs. And about CP in your back, it effects you too because you can't run. Blindness because you need to be able to see. And deafness, you need to be able to hear. But lot of things are just silly. Like being on medication, how can that be a problem? All you do is have them delivered to you. You just order more ahead of time before you start running out. Incontinence, they can supply their own diapers, they don't need the place to supply them for them.

This isn't meant as a rant, just as a discussion. Do you really need to not have any disabilities or health problems to join?

I have heard of people who joined the navy or army despite having AS or other stuff because they are undiagnosed. My boyfriend's father was in the military but he had epilepsy back then too. He just never told them he had it and he had no medical records about it because he never went to the doctor about his seizures. I heard they can access your medical records because it's the government. They check your whole background, medical, school, criminal.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:07 am

I agree and also believe that there should be exceptions to physical handicaps. The military has lots of jobs a person in a wheelchair could do. :wink:

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:18 am

^This is true. The military is specifically excluded from the ADA though...

Yeah, I went through a phase of realizing my life was dead end, and actually wanted to be sent out somewhere with a mission. Since I didn't have one, figured the military might be able to put me to good use. I found out all the things that the military excluded, and went about realizing the military doesn't just take ANYONE off the streets. It's mostly a good thing. One must realize what the military's intent is-it ain't a job center! Was kind of bummed, but I've now a deeper respect for those in the armed forces.

16 Aug 2008, 12:29 am

I hate the gov. sometimes. They discriminate and judge you instead of getting to know you. If they took a look at my medical records my early diagnoses might pop up. Even though I don't show classic autism or whatever they would still deny me for that reason too. And the fact I had hearing loss in my baby hood, that might also pop up too as me being deaf and they would assume I am still hearing impaired. They would deny me for other reasons too because of my medical records and my IEP.

Praetorius
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2008, 12:32 am

Dude... It's not that you can't have a mental problem to join the military... It's that you HAVE to have a mental problem to join the military! Don't do it! You'll die!

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:38 am

Praetorius wrote:
Dude... It's not that you can't have a mental problem to join the military... It's that you HAVE to have a mental problem to join the military! Don't do it! You'll die!

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 1:02 am

What's to stop you from being a different type of gov't worker? What's so special about the military? The military has a specific purpose, which does not include acquiescing to every random disability known to man. Demands are set for a reason.

Praetorius- :lmao:

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 1:04 am

there are different ways to serve ones country.

16 Aug 2008, 1:09 am

I still don't want to join.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 1:27 am

Don't worry guys... once we've wasted all our good soldiers in Iraq, the government will send in a Germany-style "Volksturm" made up of all that's left, including old men, little boys, and others who are unfit to fight.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 1:33 am

Sorry for coming off as a jerk, SG.

Anyway, I've been reading that some jobs that the military used to do are now handed to private sector. One example I've read is the cafeteria being staffed by civilians. Might not be a desirable option, but I'll bet there are others similar. Also, as tweety_fan said, one can serve their country in other ways beside the military.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 11:36 am

Actually, I can understand them excluding people on the autism spectrum, with ADHD, or deaf people because of the communication difficulties. They need people who can follow orders instantly; if there's any misinterpretation, people could die.

However, the military can be really stupid about their requirements. I work for an online high school, and military recruiters will tell students to attend our school. When the kids go to apply for the military, they're told that online high school diplomas are not accepted. Never mind that we're fully accredited. They base this policy on a study done years ago when online high schools were still in their infancy. A lot has changed since then. :roll:

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 11:45 am

My doctor said I could milk my DX to get out of military service, if they ever required it of me. I'd likely turn down non-combat positions anyway, because I don't support violence.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:00 pm

Actually, you have to be NEARLY perfect to join the Airforce as a jet flier(You need the same as other forces, handling G forces, quick reflex, excellent eyesight.).

Still, I ALWAYS knew I would be bad in the military! NOW, I have a label I can ask them to check for that will PROVE it. Of course, I am WAY too old for the miltary now anyway.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 12:10 pm

I was in the JROTC my 9th and 10th Grade Year. In 10th Grade a Air Force recruiter came into our classroom to teach us a little something about the Air Force. I asked if I would qualify to join the military w/ my aspergers and this is the reply I got.

"No, We would put your @$$ in Downtown Baghdad and you know what you'll do. Your little @$$ will go AWOL and Kill everybody in your platoon because you got so scared you lost your mind. You also look very twitchy and that twitching ain't gonna do you any good in the line of combat."

A week later I quit the JROTC and enrolled myself in a local charter school for gifted kids majoring in Science. Never looked back and I'm glad.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2008, 1:06 pm

Good for you Gamefreak! What a freaking ret*d! :o I'll bet there are many kids on the spectrum serving their country in the tech areas, undiagnosed of course. How moronic to exclude gifted types. Might've been a good idea to have that info given to you upfront so you didn't waste 2 years there...