Someone ripped into me on another site. Read what he said!

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 9:07 pm

Here's what he said about me:

Usually this is a community where I find everyone friendly and trying to build relationships based on trust, knowledge and kindness. Unfortunately you are a member that I just don't feel the connection of our common interest with.

That comment got me thinking: is that why I, as an aspie-like individual, have failed as a social being? Because I don't actively strive to build relationships based on trust, knowledge and kindness? Is that why I have failed at life? But why don't I strive to build those relationships, like most NTs surely do? Why?

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2008, 9:13 pm

I wouldn't beat myself up about it. I mean, duh, your autistic, of course you don't actively seek those things. If that guy thinks he's going to have a connection with everyone he comes in contact with, I'd be asking what's so special about him? I mean, that's weird.

You are not going to make a connection with everyone you meet. We would be all the same if that happened. No one would ever change anything in this world because we would all have the same experiences so that we could all make connections. How awful would this world be if we were all cookie cutter people who are all identical with no differences?

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 9:28 pm

Unfortunately you are a member that I just don't feel the connection

How very unfortunate for them. :wink:

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

28 Jul 2008, 9:43 pm

You consider that being ripped into? Tell that member to piss up a rope and get over it.

sim
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 10:23 pm

Huh?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 10:28 pm

It seems a mild but probably cutting comment. What was the nature of the group, the interest? If you don't mind me asking.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2008, 10:29 pm

Mw99 wrote:

Usually this is a community where I find everyone friendly and trying to build relationships based on trust, knowledge and kindness. Unfortunately you are a member that I just don't feel the connection of our common interest with.

That comment got me thinking: is that why I, as an aspie-like individual, have failed as a social being? Because I don't actively strive to build relationships based on trust, knowledge and kindness? Is that why I have failed at life? But why don't I strive to build those relationships, like most NTs surely do? Why?

I don't understand this idea of "failing at life". I think being happy is the measure of whether your life is successful or not. Having friends, money, sex, drug are all pointless if this is not what you want. I want knowledge, learning and interaction with people similar to myself. The achievement of these goals will make me happy. The opinions of others about my subjective worth are irrelevant to me and should be irrelevant to others. This person is clearly playing games with you and needs to be told to stop expressing his egocentric disdain. Having an opinion is not sufficient reason to express it.

RedSands
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2008, 11:49 pm

Excuse my bluntness, but whoever wrote that sounds like a whiny little assflake. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. If he was making connections with people at all, he wouldn't have the time just to PM you or whatever to tell you how much he didn't feel connected to you.

Kudos for you, though, for having the self-awareness to care whether or not this comment was indicative of a character flaw. I do the same thing often. Too often, in fact.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 12:03 am

Mw99 wrote:

You are one of my favorite posters I tend to gravitate toward your topics.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 12:05 am

RedSands wrote:
a whiny little assflake.

Best. Insult. Ever.

[/end comicbook guy voice]

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2008, 12:19 am

why do you give a s**t?

I just don't see how this is rude without some context.

If I managed forum specifically for adepts of a certain hobby and one poster had a lack of interest or bothered people with questions, I'd think such "rude" remarks would be justified.

It's not like the guy called you an as*hole.

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2008, 12:23 am

I agree with Liverbird. You are not going to find that everyone is the same, so I wouldn't worry too much about this. Some people just can understand us, ya know?

you will jouney from boy to man

Omar
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2008, 12:24 am

Mw99 wrote:

'cuz you constantly into the "woe is me" nonsense...get over yourself and you'll probably handle criticism betta.

your confidante,
Omar

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 12:26 am

I don't mind "woe is me" I think you are grand:)

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2008, 12:28 am

IpsoRandomo wrote:
If that's ripping, then just imagine how much worse things will get. Life is *extremely* hard if you don't accept criticism.

I just don't see how that comment is rude without some context.

If I managed forum specifically for adepts of a certain hobby and one poster had a lack of interest or bothered people with questions, I'd think such "rude" remarks would be justified.

It's not like the guy called you an as*hole.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2008, 12:35 am

It can seem like people are being jerks, when they are just being a little insensitive, that was kind of a mild way of telling you off, ya I guess it would hurt a little, then I would follow Velodogs advice and tell him to piss up a rope, like in that song by WEEN[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYo1-tc9Mzw[/youtube]
So cheer up Mw99, your amongst friends here