Officially diagnosed, and randomly at that

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 3:39 pm

I went into the doctor's office with sensory issues and a problem with migraines, came out with an Asperger's diagnosis-- even though I didn't mention it was on my list of suspected problems, or my autism-heavy family history! He put it on a form and handed it to me! I already knew I was Aspie but it's nice to have it confirmed!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 3:43 pm

Congrats? At least you didn't get a random "Maybe" like I got from my doctor. That's frustrating!

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 3:44 pm

I am sure in a way it gives you a sense of relief. Because I have a history of significant speech delay my psych said I cannot have AS at all, just PDD-NOS.. its pretty silly if you ask me. I am thinking of getting a second opinion because I am hearing mixed things about getting an AS dx regardless of speech development history.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 3:46 pm

Angnix wrote:
Congrats? At least you didn't get a random "Maybe" like I got from my doctor. That's frustrating!

maybe you should kill your doctor :bom:

ghouna
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2008, 3:46 pm

I don t really know if i should go to see my doctor, to ask him..

I dont think i could tell him "i cannot be touch, i have a lot of obsession, i need list, schedules in order to do things..etc . what is wrong with me? " I dont know.. because i dont think it is a problem...

(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨¯`·.`.~*

Being me is great!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 3:54 pm

ShawnWilliam wrote:
Angnix wrote:

Na... that would be too messy. I never brought up my obsessions to him before very much, maybe if I show him This, he will think there is more going on with me than Bipolar. :lol:

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 4:18 pm

Angnix wrote:
ShawnWilliam wrote:
Angnix wrote:

Na... that would be too messy. I never brought up my obsessions to him before very much, maybe if I show him This, he will think there is more going on with me than Bipolar. :lol:

what kind of obsessions?.. i obsess quite a lot... i obsess over my art and i think of it as a blessing in desguise.. although, it can also be misleading..
for example these recordings ive made, i will mix them and obsess over it, but then come back to it later and mix it again.. but each time I learn so much more.. I always learn the hard way :? It's like my brain was wired to learn EVERYthing the hard way by doing it to the extreme, and then backing it off a little, so to find the perfect balance and skill..

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 4:31 pm

Congratulations! And I hope your migraines go away.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 10:45 pm

lelia wrote:
Congratulations! And I hope your migraines go away.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 10:57 am

lionesss wrote:
I am sure in a way it gives you a sense of relief. Because I have a history of significant speech delay my psych said I cannot have AS at all, just PDD-NOS.. its pretty silly if you ask me. I am thinking of getting a second opinion because I am hearing mixed things about getting an AS dx regardless of speech development history.

Well, some doctors just disregard speech development...

Officially, it's simple:

The DSM-IV-TR and ICD-10 say that Asperger's can only be diagnosed if no abnormal speech delay was present.

That means that:
1. single words have to be used by at least age 2.
2. Communicative phrases by the age of 3.

Important to know: Normal speech development is faster than that. Asperger's allows a typical (=small) speech delay. Some non-autistic children are slow and only use communicative phrases by age 3.

DSM-IV-TR wrote:
In contrast to Autistic Disorder, there are no clinically significant delays or deviance in language acquisition (e.g., single non-echoed words are used communicatively by age 2 years, and spontaneous communicative phrases are used by age 3 years) (Criterion D), although more subtle aspects of social communication (e.g., typical give-and-take in conversation) may be affected.

ICD-10 wrote:
Diagnosis requires that single words should have
developed by two years of age and that communicative phrases be used by
three years of age or earlier.

Meet that = officially warrant for AS.

Otherwise it's... well, classical for some parts of Europe and PDD-NOS (or autistic disorder) for the US.

Doctors may diagnose any way they like though.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 11:09 am

Thanks, that actually helps a lot! Well, I don't have AS then, because I didn't use single words and some phrases until I was 4. But my son likely has AS, he used single words by 2 and phrases by 3. He is still delayed at 4.5 but uses a lot of sentences.