Page 4 of 11 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

What did you score?
Less than 94 (non-alexithemic) 9%  9%  [ 25 ]
95-112 (possible alexithemia) 15%  15%  [ 39 ]
113+ (alexithemia) 76%  76%  [ 203 ]
Total votes : 267

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 2:40 am

There is much more to be learned. I never heard of alexithymia before now. How many people would view this personality type as beneficial?
To those who share these traits, how do you view the rest of us who don't have it and make decisions based on emotional awareness?
It's probably best to have a balance. Is there an opposite "disorder" which causes a person to make equally moronic personal decisions?

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 7:01 am

Dreamer1234 wrote:
I dont think researchers consider alexithymia an ASD (do they?). Nevertheless its looking likely that alexithymia is a core symptom on all the diagnostic criteria for AS, and the forthcoming DSM-V may spell this out explicitly.

Just when I felt sure I knew the subject!

Dreamer1234

Thanks for posting this information. I come from a family in which Alexithymia seems to run, and also possibly ASD. Not understanding one's emotions can be more detrimental than the article seemed to imply -- In my family I've documented enough anxiety, depression, broken families, and suicide that I felt compelled to find out what is going on, and a significant part of it seems to be alexithymia.

My psychotherapist confirms that I am alexithymic, but I'm struggling to understand how it relates to the Austism Spectrum. I have had a "special interest" since I was six, as well the compulsion to work on projects that interest me for long periods of time. I didn't use imaginative play as a child. I was badly bullied as a child. I've tested as being in the "gifted intelligence" range, but I have a significant gap between performance IQ (very superior) and verbal IQ (high average) and I struggled in school. Since I was a young child I've often avoided socializing because understanding and relating to (particularly new) people can be confusing and stressful for me. I was recently evaluated for ASD, but based on an interview called the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS), my scores were "not consistent with a diagnosis of autism." I've learned to communicate well and I understand "Theory of Mind" so therefore the testers felt that I don't exhibit enough of the symptoms associated with the Autism Spectrum to be diagnosed with even the nebulous PDD-NOS. I was diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder, and Dysthymic Disorder (a form of depression). Is something unusual going on with my wiring? Sure. Do I have difficulties? Absolutely. Is it fully explainable? Not yet.

Maybe it's as simple as the brain being incredibly complex, and mental health professionals don't yet have an understanding of how brain developmental dysfunctions overlap. Whereas autism was identified in the 1940s, alexithymia wasn't identified until the late 1960s. The combination of overt "symptoms" one has may or may not result in a helpful diagnosis because the diagnosticians aren't always looking in the right places and connecting the dots. They're still discovering some of the dots.

Z

Following is from an interesting blog on the overlap of Asperger's and Alexithymia.

Asperger's and Alexithymia Blog wrote:
Posted by Ganymede
[Excerpted from 'Blocked Imagination~ Emptied Speech' – by Jason Thompson]

Ongoing research has revealed a significant overlap between alexithymia and autistic spectrum disorders (ASD's). Two recent studies suggest that individuals with ASD exhibit a higher degree of alexithymia than matched control participants, with 85% of the participants with ASD showing slight or severe alexithymic impairment. This raises the important questions for future research regarding how to explain the high co-morbidity of alexithymia and ASD, and from a clinical perspective the finding suggests that a diagnosis of ASD should be considered in patients with alexithymia.

[This] overlap may be applicable for Asperger's syndrome, which has similarities with alexithymic behaviour that have long been recognized. Every well known AS measure reflects the centrality of alexithymic phenomena in its diagnostic criteria: e.g. Lack of social or emotional reciprocity (DSM-IV), Impaired or deviant response to other people's emotions (ICD-10), Difficulty sensing feelings of others (Szatmari criteria), Difficulties expressing themselves, especially when talking about emotions (NAS definition), Emotionally inappropriate behaviour… Impairment of comprehension (Gillberg criteria).

Like all alexithymic persons, AS individuals have difficulty understanding their own and others' emotional arousal along with problems expressing feelings with verbal and nonverbal behaviour or in reading that of others, which correlate with the alexithymic subtraits: (a) difficulty identifying feelings and distinguishing between feelings and bodily sensations of emotional arousal, and (b) difficulty describing feelings to other people. In AS there is also a limited imagination, an absence of symbolic thinking, and a preoccupation with factual information which traits correlate with the alexithymic: (c) constricted imaginal processes, as evidenced by a paucity of fantasies, and; (d) a stimulus-bound, externally oriented cognitive style. The syndromes also share a propensity for psychosomatic disorders and hypochondriacal features.

Similarities noted, there are further distinguishing traits marking Asperger’s syndrome such as the tendency toward mild autistic behaviours like 'stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms such as hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements which are not features of simple alexithymia, and secondly, whilst AS individuals are with few exceptions alexithymic they have added difficulties in reading the objective, non-emotional intentions of others' minds. This mind-reading or ‘Theory of Mind’ (ToM) is the ability individuals may or may not possess for understanding and interpreting the mindset of another person, where the observer predicts the thoughts of the target individual by placing him or herself in their position and simulating the actions or beliefs of the target individual. Whilst a lack of ToM is central to Asperger’s syndrome, a recent study has shown that this is not a deficiency integral to uncomplicated alexithymia. This study selected forty-five high alexithymic subjects to undertake a 'false belief task' which involved a picture-sequencing task of four cartoon-style cards focussing on beliefs of an objective kind that did not require the identification of an emotional component. The task gauged their ability to read the thoughts of others based on the available cues. Alexithymic subjects were able to correctly complete the task, sometimes performing better than samples from a group of non-alexithymic subjects who completed the task, leading to the conclusion that alexithymic individuals possessed a Theory of Mind. At present ToM measures do not gauge ability or inability to recognise discrete emotions, meaning it does not adequately distinguish between alexithymic and non-alexithymic traits; its aim is purely to measure an individual’s ability to read the objective thought patterns of other people.

Individuals with uncomplicated or ‘simple’ alexithymia are more socially adaptive than AS individuals principally because they have a Theory of Mind allowing a degree of social competence, but problems arise when they are faced with situations where intimacy is required. Alexithymics may develop the ability to interpret and navigate the social world by applying logical rules about the beliefs and behaviours of other people but cannot articulate the emotional nuances which are intertwined with these interpersonal beliefs, i.e. they are able to anticipate and interact with others so as to form functional, but not feelings-based intimacies.

As well as mild autistic behaviours and mind-blindness, alexithymia constitutes a core factor of Asperger's syndrome as it is presently conceived. While this has not been strongly recognised in the past, it is becoming increasingly clear that the alexithymia construct is the most accurate, scientifically validated measure for gauging the emotional ‘differences’ inherent to Asperger’s syndrome. As remarked by a leading AS researcher Tony Atwood: “We now have a psychological term, alexithymia, to describe another characteristic associated with Asperger’s syndrome, namely someone who has an impaired ability to identify and describe feeling states. Clinical experience and research have confirmed that alexithymia can be recognized in the profile of abilities of people with Asperger’s syndrome…”

Cate
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Sep 2010, 12:14 pm

Not surprisingly: 177.

It's official. I am a robot.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 12:43 pm

Result: 111

Possible alexithymia: You show some alexithymic traits

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 1:51 pm

Not sure how accurate this test is. If I have trouble describing my emotions it may be because they are more complex or alien compared to the norm for which the English language was developed, or the fact that I strive for greater description/accuracy than most people which requires more effort.

I've also experienced "confusing bodily sensations" due to the various cocktails of psychiatric drugs I've been to try and deal with my depression. I think I just feel things that are outside the realm of experience for normies.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 2:31 pm

Men score higher on the alexithymia test because of societal expectations and stereotypes, since men are often raised with the completely false thought that emotions are for "sissies". Men aren't brought up to be empathetic and emotional, so if one has strong emotions, they single them out. Masculinity is not about being "macho"; it is about knowing what you believe is right and sticking to your thoughts and values.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 2:54 pm

I don't know how exactly points I got, because test doesn't work in Opera. Maybe I'll try in other browser.
I guess I have high points, because I chose many "agree" answers.
I have problems with recognising and describing my or other's feelings. I have my own scale good - medium - bad and it's enough. When somebody asks how I feel, I use one of them. People often don't understand it.

Recently I learned to pretend feelings and I play Oooh yeah, it's so important to me, I'm so nervous! Keep your fingers crossed! I'm so afraid! Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Maybe I'm not so good actress as I thought.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

clumsybee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2010, 3:34 pm

127. It would've been higher if there were less questions based off daydreaming, because all those questions were 1's.

Coldkick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2010, 3:44 pm

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 4:16 pm

I don't know why, but I just couldn't take answer those questions. Some of them I didn't understand, for others I could give completely different answers depending on how I thought about the question. There were only a couple of questions which I could answer honestly and truthfully. For example:

26. - When involved in difficult or turbulent relationships, I sometimes develop confusing physical symptoms.

What the hell does that mean? Are there non-difficult relationships? What is a turbulent relationship? By "confusing physical symptoms", do they mean symptoms that are hard to diagnose? I'd need a lot more information on the meaning of each question to answer this damn test. It really annoyed the hell out of me for some reason.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 5:30 pm

Result: 108
Possible alexithymia: You show some alexithymic traits

This had too many questions that were impossible to answer. For most of them I put "undecided", which would explain my score.

I hate those question which say, "People tell you...." or "others complain that you...." Those kind of questions completely depend on the kind of people you have in your life. Some people are emotionally needy, and will complain if they don't think you are talking about your feelings enough. If you have a lot of people like that in your life, then you'll hear their complaints a lot, and could get a completely different score. I don't talk about my feeling much, or get super-involved in other people's emotional problems, but no one seems to expect me to, so they aren't complaining.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 6:09 pm

I scored 132 I hope I added it right. Right now I can't describe my feelings while other times I am hyper aware of emotions.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2010, 6:40 pm

I got 92.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2010, 10:41 pm

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2010, 12:17 am

110, I apparently have possible alexithymia traits.

A lot of those questions were very confusing & I didn't even know what they meant, so i had to guess on a lot of them.

robertyknwt
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2011, 7:46 pm

I remember an online friend talking about alexithymia (she seems to have that, plus anhedonia, but nothing on the autism spectrum),and thinking "Hey, that sounds like me...."

For whatever reason, today I read the Wikipedia article, and then went to the online test referred to in the opening post.

153. Surprise, surprise surprise.

The questions that "hit" me the hardest were questions like:

"People tell me I don't listen to their feelings properly, when in fact I'm doing my utmost to understand what they're saying!"
"When involved in difficult or turbulent relationships, I sometimes develop confusing physical symptoms."
"People I've been in close relationships with have complained that I neglect them emotionally."
"I have puzzling physical sensations that even friends/aquaintances/others don't understand."

Story of my frickin' life, let me tell ya....