Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

themonkey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2009, 10:09 pm

Appear completely normal in school but just doesn't fit in? Does person with aspergers look into your eys, have normal bodylanguege, normal voice etc.? What about asperger chide.

Does your aspergers child appear completely normal?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 10:16 pm

Quote:
Appear completely normal in school but just doesn't fit in? Does person with aspergers look into your eys, have normal bodylanguege, normal voice etc.?

I know I didn't. In elementary school I didn't play with the other children, I spoke to one of the teachers aides when it was recess time. Other than that I blended in because I obeyed all the rules, but I wasn't liked by anybody. Near the end of elementary school I started observing other children to learn how to figure out how to play with them. I didn't look people in the eyes but I had a normal voice and all.

In middle school I thought you had to act out to get friends so I was always getting in trouble and not realizing everyone was actually making fun of me. I didn't look people in the eyes but I had a normal voice and all.

In highschool that kind of changed. I became very silent and silent, I wasn't even able to ask for help with work and such and I didn't know what people were talking about half the time. I definitely didn't seem normal. I didn't look in peoples eyes, I got made fun for the way I walk and such and didn't have normal body language. My voice has never been peculiar, however.

Weather
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2009, 10:17 pm

Well, from my experience, I don 't think I had any outwardly appearances of Asperger's other than the social problems that I have. I have mild Asperger's and I do think that I have improved somewhat over the years in that area, however, I do have problems with eye contact and tend to shift my focus around when talking with someone, I might stim like tapping my fingers or tracing rather "doodling" on surfaces, especially in class.

I never had and still don 't have many friends in my life, sometimes that depresses me and other times I don't care.

Weather

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 10:22 pm

It depends. I can tell you right now that no one else I know at school knows/thinks I have AS. Though I personally know that I don't fit in.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

18 Jan 2009, 10:28 pm

themonkey wrote:
Appear completely normal in school but just doesn't fit in? Does person with aspergers look into your eys, have normal bodylanguege, normal voice etc.? What about asperger chide.

When I was at school I was normal enough to stay in mainstream classes (except for one year) but abnormal enough for all the other students to bully me. I can't really remember the specifics about how I acted at school but I know that I was mostly quiet and a lot of times people would tell me I was annoying and I had no idea what I was doing to annoy them.

I can't remember my tone of voice or my body language. However I have a video of myself when I was about 6 years old and I was in the habit of 'singing' my speech, if that makes any sense.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 10:31 pm

I was a klutz and had trouble fitting in. I had to observe "NT"'s to gain social skills and it was very awkward back then. I don't remember school that well anymore.. perhaps I blocked a lot of those painful moments out.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 10:45 pm

themonkey wrote:

I didn't appear normal at all, & didn't fit in at all. I was incredibly withdrawn. I couldn't look into eyes at all as a child. I didn't even know I was supposed to do it until a few years ago & I've only learned over the past year or so how to make eye contact. It's still hard to do, but I usually can, with certain people. My body language was either restrained or odd, depending on the situation. & I think my voice is fairly normal, if a little emotionless/repetitive/monotonous.

I was never diagnosed with AS, only strongly suspect I have it, so my answer may be irrelevant.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 11:00 pm

lionesss wrote:
I was a klutz and had trouble fitting in. I had to observe "NT"'s to gain social skills and it was very awkward back then. I don't remember school that well anymore.. perhaps I blocked a lot of those painful moments out.

I could have written that, that was so me.

In school, I figured out pretty quickly that if 300 of them act one way, and I'm different, it's not because they are weird. So I spent a lot of time observing the other students and even the teachers to get the 'NT mindset' down. By HS, I was passable as normal. Now, the only way to tell I'm aspie is to see me during a seizure *I have petit mal seizures that leave me functioning but unaware of what I'm doing* or catch me on a bad day.

I think that being AS left me different, but I've learned to work with those differences. Being normal is vastly overrated anyhow.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 11:05 pm

kip wrote:
lionesss wrote:

I could have written that, that was so me.

In school, I figured out pretty quickly that if 300 of them act one way, and I'm different, it's not because they are weird. So I spent a lot of time observing the other students and even the teachers to get the 'NT mindset' down. By HS, I was passable as normal. Now, the only way to tell I'm aspie is to see me during a seizure *I have petit mal seizures that leave me functioning but unaware of what I'm doing* or catch me on a bad day.

I think that being AS left me different, but I've learned to work with those differences. Being normal is vastly overrated anyhow.

Yes, by the time I was 15 I was passable as normal too. And.. I am still trying to figure out what "normal" really is.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 12:41 am

For most of elementary school, I played by myself or "played by myself" amongst other children (who were playing with eachother). The few 'friends' I had in late elementary school were due to my being an authority in an area that they were interested in. I remained in regular classes, at the insistance of my parents.

In middle school, I began pretending to sleep during free time, in order to avoid unwanted social interaction.

I began to make a few more friends, about half-way through highschool, but was still considered somewhat 'odd.'

I didn't get to where I could pass as relatively normal until I was in my early to mid twenties.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2009, 12:46 am

Personally, I was obviously and strikingly abnormal.

I appeared normal to people on the first glance (since ASDs don't alter your physique in a visible way).

But I didn't look anybody in the eyes, had no body language, my voice was monotone sometimes. The first half of my school carrier I was oblivious to social contact.

It all depends on what exactly their AS/ASD is like. It can be different for everybody.

Shadow50
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jan 2009, 2:52 am

Weather wrote:
I never had and still don 't have many friends in my life, sometimes that depresses me and other times I don't care.

Most aspies that I know personally have only a small number of "significant" people in their lives ... usually three to five. It seems to be what we can comfortably manage, so I wouldn't stress over it.