Page 2 of 22 [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 7:12 pm

zen_mistress wrote:
Personally I would like a sticky in here. I just dont really mind whether it is on this board or another part as I visit pretty much most of the boards. In many ways it would be appropriate here because NLD is a spectrum-related topic.

I agree that the sticky would be more useful in this forum.

If it is stickied, do you think I should change the name to remove the acronym? Like "Nonverbal Learning Disorder sticky"? "Nonverbal Learning Disorder Forum"? "Nonverbal Learning Disorder Information Sticky?" Or even "Nonverbal Learning Disorder Information and Debate"? Maybe that would be a little long! Post suggestions please!

Edit: Yay, again! Three pages!

Edit the second: Boo! One vote for "I don't care." You had to rock the boat, didn't you, mystery person? :wink:

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 2:41 pm

Okay, after perusing the site, I think a post in the Wrongplanet forum is the most appropriate way to ask for an NLD sticky:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1898905.html#1898905

Hopefully we will get a mod response soon. If anyone interested in a sticky wants to post in that thread in order to indicate support, that would be great.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 12:52 pm

Looks like this thread's a sticky now!

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 12:59 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
Looks like this thread's a sticky now!

Yup! Yay! I need to edit the first post though to make it more useful for someone looking for information on NLD.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 1:02 pm

That's a good idea. BTW, I actually have NLD so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :wink:

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 2:05 pm

Excellent! I will be watching it closely :) .

Taking a break.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 2:31 pm

Yay, congrats, you did it ! !! ! I'm happy!! !! :)

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2008, 3:31 pm

so this will be the stickied thread? perhaps chg the thread title too just take out poll. eyah! gettin; sticky wit it! :tongue:

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2008, 3:32 pm

Lightning88 wrote:
That's a good idea. BTW, I actually have NLD so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. :wink:

if you had any psych or neropsych evaluations before you were dx'd with nld what did it/they say?

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

18 Dec 2008, 4:41 pm

i fit the profile better for nvld, but i think i have both aspergers and nvld. or can you have only one?

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Dec 2008, 4:49 pm

nah you can have both
here's one sentence from this paper.

http://www.nldontheweb.org/Dinklage_1.htm

ASPERGER's DISORDER AND NONVERBAL LEARNING DISABILITIES:
How are These Two Disorders Related to Each Other?

by David Dinklage, PhD

Studies conducted by the Yale Child-Study Group suggest that up to 80% of children who meet the criteria for AD also have NVLD.[u]

-HL Mencken

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 6:23 pm

I kind of feel like I have NLD and aspergers. I have interests and sensory problems and lots of OCD-like stuff. But I am sociable, sort of. I dont know.

Taking a break.

Persephone
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Dec 2008, 7:31 pm

I voted for the sticky and I'm glad it's here.

I believe I definitely have NLD, and based on what I've learned about Asperger's, and what I've learned here on WP, it's likely I have AS too. But I've not been formally diagnosed, so I can't be sure.

When I was a teenager, I was diagnosed with a severe "organizational learning disability," with shadings of inattentive ADD (according to the neurologists & psychologists). This was before NLD & AS were even considered as diagnoses. Even the "hint" of ADD was just sort of whispered, as it was not yet common for girls to be considered ADD.

Still, the very astute neurologist recommended that I be switched from the fast-track school (where I was drowning) to an alternative high school that catered to kids with all kinds of learning issues.

My parents, while loving, just couldn't believe that their highly & precociously verbal daughter with the (supposedly) high IQ score (VIQ far higher than PIQ btw) needed such arrangements, and on I went in the advanced classes, drowning and feeling like a failure. My teachers couldn't believe it was anything but laziness and apathy, since I was supposedly "such a smart girl" "who writes better than the majority of the class" blah blah blah. I died every day trying to meet everyone's expectations. Finally they decided that I was not an intellectual (hah!), but a creative type (yeah, ok, but not fully true).

Anyone have similar experiences like this?

NLD undiagnosed but fits like a glove.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Dec 2008, 8:25 pm

I feel odd (as alway.)./..

Because while I have a dx. of autism, I have almost all of the traits of NLD (except that I am quite good with advanced math, though I am HORRIBLE with arithmetic, NEED a calculator). And my IQ had verbal about 90 and performance about 77, so that's about a standard deviation apart. But outside of the tests, I don't think I could math a NONVERBAL learning disability, unless it was called Verbal and Nonverbal LD, because IRL I have lots of difficulty with speech and language and am only about 60-80% verbal.

So I don't think I could actually get this diagnosis, but considering how consistent I am with it otherwise, I am quite confused.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 9:09 pm

Persephone wrote:
I voted for the sticky and I'm glad it's here.

I believe I definitely have NLD, and based on what I've learned about Asperger's, and what I've learned here on WP, it's likely I have AS too. But I've not been formally diagnosed, so I can't be sure.

When I was a teenager, I was diagnosed with a severe "organizational learning disability," with shadings of inattentive ADD (according to the neurologists & psychologists). This was before NLD & AS were even considered as diagnoses. Even the "hint" of ADD was just sort of whispered, as it was not yet common for girls to be considered ADD.

Still, the very astute neurologist recommended that I be switched from the fast-track school (where I was drowning) to an alternative high school that catered to kids with all kinds of learning issues.

My parents, while loving, just couldn't believe that their highly & precociously verbal daughter with the (supposedly) high IQ score (VIQ far higher than PIQ btw) needed such arrangements, and on I went in the advanced classes, drowning and feeling like a failure. My teachers couldn't believe it was anything but laziness and apathy, since I was supposedly "such a smart girl" "who writes better than the majority of the class" blah blah blah. I died every day trying to meet everyone's expectations. Finally they decided that I was not an intellectual (hah!), but a creative type (yeah, ok, but not fully true).

Anyone have similar experiences like this?

I was just called lazy, troublesome and untidy. The only learning disability recognised in my school days was dyslexia.

My parents still dont think there is anything unusual about me though it is glaringly obvious to anyone outside my immediate family.

Taking a break.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2008, 3:42 pm

vivinator wrote:
Lightning88 wrote:

if you had any psych or neropsych evaluations before you were dx'd with nld what did it/they say?

can anyone else as well as Lighting answer this? :)

-HL Mencken