stop.take astep back.close your mouth.run!! !

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2008, 1:02 pm

ok
was fully decided to tell some of my classmates that im an aspie.
but theres a problem.
they started reading "a curious incident of a dog in the night" (think thats the name) as part of the english exam (yes an aspergers insipred book is on the curriculum!). but apparantly they dont like the book at all-i thought it was good- and one has started saying that if he ever met a person with aspergers he'd hit them.
hmm not good!
so i decided not to inform them in order to save myself from the abuse.
what would you guys have done?

16 Dec 2008, 1:06 pm

I would tell them not all aspies are like that. That boy just has the severe case of it. He seemed autistic than aspie IMO. I would also encourage them they read more about it and maybe try browsing on the aspie forums if they have time and are willing to do that in their spare time.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:52 pm

irishaspie wrote:
ok
but theres a problem.
they started reading "a curious incident of a dog in the night" (think thats the name) as part of the english exam (yes an aspergers insipred book is on the curriculum!). but apparantly they dont like the book at all-i thought it was good- and one has started saying that if he ever met a person with aspergers he'd hit them.
hmm not good!

What purpose do you have in wanting to disclose your personal information to your classmates?

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 3:54 pm

Nan wrote:
irishaspie wrote:
ok
but theres a problem.
hmm not good!

What purpose do you have in wanting to disclose your personal information to your classmates?

Perhaps to promote acceptance and understanding, which it desperately needs.. nothing wrong with that.

Fintan29
Toucan
Toucan

16 Dec 2008, 4:02 pm

I liked that book. No one in class seemed to like it, but would in fact make fun of the character in the story.

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:05 pm

irishaspie wrote:
"a curious incident of a dog in the night"

I hated that book so much.... I had to put it down before shredded it in front of the person who got me it. It was like they bought it just to send a subtle message to me, almost like when my parents rented "Rainman", I think it was, the movie where the guy has an autistic brother who is sent to a home and he wants to meet this brother again, and takes him out gambling and such, and told me I would find it interesting. I sat there and watched the movie out of respect for them, and cursed every minute of it. Fortunatly they have learned I am not into fiction about people with disorder regardless of the condition, and certainly not of anything that in any way is similar to what I have. The exception would be if it were written by such a person as more of a fictional autobiography, and then I would probably just get bored.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 4:15 pm

i very much liked the book. I have a problem - often - wtih overdisclosure - because i am an aspie with motor-mouth tendencies. get me on a topic of interest and i can go on and on. It causes me great pain and i have been misunerstood frequently. I would caution against overdisclosing to classmates who are already showing a degree of ignorance regardin ASD's.

good luck.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2008, 10:44 pm

What would I do? I'd keep my mouth shut.

What would I like to do? Tell them I'm an Aspie and let them know that a flesh and blood person standing in front of them rates higher than one instance of a fictional character in a book they didn't like.

I'm also wrestling with the whole "coming out" thing. I hate hiding, and I hate being seen. I'm beginning to hate hiding more, though. Maybe 'cause I'm 50 and whatever happens, I probably don't have 50 more years to have to endure it. I once heard someone say that you get more audacious as you get older because you don't have that much time left to deal with the consequences. :wink:

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 11:00 pm

I seen a classmate reading "Look Me In The Eye". I told them cool, and that I had a sister that was autistic (didn't say I was getting evaluated for AS soon). Then that person began making fun of the guy and said they were reading it for amusement. =| I don't understand people dotdotdot

Padium
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 11:21 pm

neshamaruach wrote:
What would I do? I'd keep my mouth shut.

What would I like to do? Tell them I'm an Aspie and let them know that a flesh and blood person standing in front of them rates higher than one instance of a fictional character in a book they didn't like.

I'm also wrestling with the whole "coming out" thing. I hate hiding, and I hate being seen. I'm beginning to hate hiding more, though. Maybe 'cause I'm 50 and whatever happens, I probably don't have 50 more years to have to endure it. I once heard someone say that you get more audacious as you get older because you don't have that much time left to deal with the consequences. :wink:

I like the whole coming out idea myself.... Too bad I can't use the term too much as its already been coined by the LGBT community, and people might get the wrong message. I "come out" as being AS to anyone I want to get close to as a way of weeding out those that I shouldn't get close to, and lucky for me, the girl I currently like, who is somewhat interested in me, passed that test.