A *New* Survival Guide For People With Aspergers

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

emroidious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2009, 1:41 am

A Surivival Guide For People With Aspergers Syndrome

As I am sure most of you know, this fine guide was made to help those with AS cope with everyday social interactions. Its been posted here before, and I think it needs another look. My hope is that we can gather together our experiences and maybe post some suggestions/addition/comments to this Survival Guide. When I first seriously considered my diagnosis of AS and wanted to do something about it, this guide helped me. Its pretty useful and I think maybe with our combined knowledge we can create an even better one. What do you all say?

Mixtli
Raven
Raven

09 Jan 2009, 2:03 am

I like your attitude. I've been recently thinking how we might put our combined intelligence to some good use. And we are intelligent.

I think one useful research project, and a chapter/ page in the book/ website, might be a roadmap to help aspies work collaboratively.

I might even suggest that one way down this road is that many of us are good at analyzing and planning. Planning skills are key in collaboration.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 3:59 am

the wikibook one is better
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A_survival ... c_spectrum

emroidious
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2009, 4:38 am

Warsie wrote:

Darn, I'd didn't even know this existed! Thanks Warsie, this is exactly what I was thinking of when I posted this topic.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 4:29 pm

I looked at both guides in order to see what they said about living independently, which I have done continuously for years yet always found a struggle. But, looking through both of them, I found nothing (though Marc Segar has flatshared and gives advice on that). I can appreciate though that only a small percentage of people on the spectrum live independently and that the writers of the guides may not have had experience of that.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:35 pm

I've never heard of either books, but I do like the idea of us making our own survival guide for people with Asperger's Syndrome. :)

SpongeBobRocksMao!

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 5:56 pm

Keeno wrote:
I looked at both guides in order to see what they said about living independently, which I have done continuously for years yet always found a struggle. But, looking through both of them, I found nothing (though Marc Segar has flatshared and gives advice on that). I can appreciate though that only a small percentage of people on the spectrum live independently and that the writers of the guides may not have had experience of that.

I live pretty much independently, and I think most aspies can't do it because they can't handle money or cleaning their apartments. Aspies are constantly forgetting to pay bills from what I hear. I never have, but it seems that most aspies can't live alone because they ignore bills. Also, aspies seem to not be very hygenic, so there's a risk of vermin being attracted to their living areas without somebody to clean them, or of neighbors objecting to the smell of old garbage that the aspie can't remember to throw away. Also, paying rent means having a job, and most aspies can't work. Only in rare cases does disability payments from the government cover rent, food, and utilities. When I was living in apartments, my mom paid for my food despite that being technically against the rules. Many aspies don't have family to help pay bills, or their family provides them with "three hots (meals) and a cot" just so the parents won't get arrested. Since only a few percent of aspies work, and most of those work in menial jobs that pay minimum wage, they can't afford independent living and are forced into group homes or subsidized living situations with lots of roommates, situations that tend to cause meltdowns.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 6:48 pm

pezar wrote:
Aspies are constantly forgetting to pay bills from what I hear. I never have, but it seems that most aspies can't live alone because they ignore bills.

There is a simply solution for that: authomathic payment. All my bills (only exception: car insurance) are authomatically discounted in my bank account.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 6:59 pm

That only works when you've remembered to put money in the bank in the first place.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2009, 10:10 pm

garyww wrote:
That only works when you've remembered to put money in the bank in the first place.

80% of SSI (USA allowance for the disabled) checks are deposited electronically. There's a suspicion that the other 20% may be scamming the system-taking cash and using it to buy drugs and such. It's easy to get a bank account nowadays. Of course, if one works, one is usually still paid by paper check in the US unless one is a government employee. You still have to go down to the bank and deposit it, then wait a few days for it to clear.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 1:11 am

Watch out for that Wiki link, I just checked it a minute ago and someone vandalized it...graphic photo of an aborted fetus with the caption "this is a cure for autism" :roll: Didn't look at it long enough to know if it's an anti-autism thing or an anti-cure thing, but still... *sigh*

It'll probably be gone soon, but just a warning for now, to those with weaker stomachs.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 1:27 am

50 to 70% of autistics that do work are self employed depending on which reports you read.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 5:47 pm

i actually think this book is fantastic for people on the spectrum. it is clear and constructive and really helpful.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:01 pm

I think it's an interesting idea, and it kinda fits with one idea I read that makes sense to me, and with my own experience. I read a book that talked about autism (in all it's forms, including Asperger's) being a preference for "computer thinking" over social thinking. I'm thinking computer thinking is more or less the same as systemizing. Or similar, anyway. Like, people are better at the "computer thinking" than social thinking, so they prefer it. And some of those people are actually average or not all that much below average in social thinking, but prefer computer thinking. So, those would be the sort of people who, I would think, can learn to use social thinking when it's more appropriate.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:22 pm

millie wrote:
i actually think this book is fantastic for people on the spectrum. it is clear and constructive and really helpful.

It seems a bit defeatist, surely you want to do more than survive?

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2009, 6:52 pm

pezar wrote:
and I think most aspies can't do it because they can't handle money or cleaning their apartments.

I don't think that's correct.

Quote:
Since only a few percent of aspies work, and most of those work in menial jobs that pay minimum wage

again I don't think that is correct.

emroidious wrote:
Warsie wrote:

Darn, I'd didn't even know this existed! Thanks Warsie, this is exactly what I was thinking of when I posted this topic.

cool :)

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Watch out for that Wiki link, I just checked it a minute ago and someone vandalized it...graphic photo of an aborted fetus with the caption "this is a cure for autism" :roll: Didn't look at it long enough to know if it's an anti-autism thing or an anti-cure thing, but still... *sigh*

It'll probably be gone soon, but just a warning for now, to those with weaker stomachs.

its gone now.