Sincere Correction Vs. Veiled Hostility

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 10:43 pm

How well are you able to differentiate between genuine criticism/correction that is intended to help and so called constructive criticism that is really veiled hostility or discrimination?

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 10:48 pm

not very good.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:02 pm

First of all, how it makes you feel. And then also logic. Very few people will give you constructive criticism, because very few people care for your wellbeing enough to spend time and energy at it. It's usually parents, very close and trusted friends, etc. Most often I can identify how the person giving the criticism would benefit from my doing/being as they say and I dismiss the comment as their personal interest.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:09 pm

not very well. i need it spelled out literally. i need someone to verbalise "this is being said to awaken you to new ways of looking at something," or "this is not an intended criticism but a bit of feedback that may be useful."

THEN...I can understand.

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

24 Mar 2009, 11:13 pm

millie wrote:
not very well. i need it spelled out literally. i need someone to verbalise "this is being said to awaken you to new ways of looking at something," or "this is not an intended criticism but a bit of feedback that may be useful."

THEN...I can understand.

Same for me, I also safely assume there is hostility intended if they raise their voice at me.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:21 pm

Quote:
hester386 wrote:
Same for me, I also safely assume there is hostility intended if they raise their voice at me.

yes.
i also safely assume there is intended hostility if they speak at normal pitch. :lol: