Does your sound "build up" leading to confusion/ag

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Cozy_Calm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Apr 2009, 4:17 pm

Do you experience confusion if someone is talking too fast? Do you need extra time to process if the topic requires thinking? Do you experience confusion leading to frustration or beyond if someone is talking and there are other stimuli, such as sounds, going on?

I am darned curious after reading this:

Quote:
MONDAY, Dec. 1 (HealthDay News) -- Children with autism spectrum disorder process sounds a fraction of a second slower than other children, an abnormality that offers insight into listening and language issues linked to the condition, a new study says.

I can even get angry and have to tell the person to stop if they keep talking and talking and I'm over my limit for what I can understand at that moment. I have to catch up. I can get agitated to the point of hand-flapping and demanding that they to stop talking or I'll get up and walk away quickly because they won't stop.

Yet, that person's rate of speech and flow of ideas can be normal for others. I get overloaded.

Do you think it's because of the sound processing or speech processing? Or maybe other factors like trying to read signals and make eye contact at the same time? Or, added factors such as the person using lots of hand gesturing which creates too much movement in the visual field? These are just a few ideas.

What do you think?

Eileen.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.cozycalm.com">Cozy Calm Weighted Blankets</a>

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2009, 4:45 pm

Well, I have SID and part of it is APD. I can't process speech all that well. Noticeably delay and weird processing though I have learnt to pretend.

But sounds?

I do wonderfully with most other sounds actually.

I can even hear single sounds before other people when I concentrate/am not distracted due to ADHD-ish reasons.

However, while I register them, I have varying difficulty to react to them or to react accurately to them. Which is like - there's a loud sudden and startling sound - I hear it, but I give no sign (and cannot say so) that I heard it. I will however react to it 2-5 seconds later than I heard it. There's certainly an issue with processing here for me too, but I hear them on time, it's only reaction that's not being processed accurately.

When I have no such problems, I'm often the first to react to the sight and the buzzing of green traffic lights.

I'm also quite good at following and analysing fast-beat melodies.

Cozy_Calm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Apr 2009, 7:13 am

Yes, the delay I can understand. I need time to take in what I heard. Then it takes time to figure out what to say. This is especially a problem in group situations because by the time I've figured out what to say, the conversation is already on a new topic.

Eileen.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.cozycalm.com">Cozy Calm Weighted Blankets</a>

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2009, 7:41 am

I heard that awhile back (your quote) and it does take time for me to process what is being said. I too can't process information if people speak too fast, or say too much at once. Background noise is very distracting too.