Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 8:59 pm

Hey,

I have a random question I hope you could answer. It's about the way other people think. When you're doing stuff, do you have an internal dialogue commenting on everything you do, sometimes with numerous voices contradicting each other? I know it's a really dumb question, but when I was brushing my teeth a second ago I had one voice commenting on the sensation, another on my stupid facial expression and another telling the second one to shut the hell up. Its not very noticeable unless you concentrate on it. I was just wondering if anyone else thinks like that (or maybe I'm just a nutter :lol:)

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 9:20 pm

I get something sort of like this.

androo4salez
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2009, 9:29 pm

I get this too, though, probably more pronounced and noticeable, haha!

I'm not sure it's an aspie thing, as I'm an introverted NT (who used to suffer from a major social anxiety disorder).

AlMightyAl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Apr 2009, 10:00 pm

You mean like my favorite anti-hero?

Yeah I find voices in my head talking all the time, and I talk to myself frequently. Once I even had a conversation with myself.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 11:39 pm

ryan93 wrote:
Hey,

I have a random question I hope you could answer. It's about the way other people think. When you're doing stuff, do you have an internal dialogue commenting on everything you do, sometimes with numerous voices contradicting each other?

It is often less an "inner dialogue" wit me, but more an outspoken dialogue with myself. Something which sound for other a bit like a split personality, but I see this as good method to find a reasonable solution.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 11:39 pm

When I brush my teeth I always talk to myself. I do think about the sensation, the way I'm brushing, and whether or not my teeth will get any cleaner. I don't have one telling the other one to shut up though.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 12:20 am

I have internal dialog sometimes, although I don't think there are different voices exactly.

I don't think an internal dialog is something to worry about; it's probably fairly normal. But if your internal dialog is saying things like "shut the hell up", and telling you that your facial expression it stupid--that is very negative, and you should try to avoid that. I think people can get into the habit of really being hard on themselves, and constantly saying negative things about themselves. It can really eat away at your self esteem.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2009, 12:25 am

When I'm walking I have an internal dialogue. But the rest of the time it's not really there. I have to force myself to think in words sometimes. And sometimes I look for an internal dialogue but I can't make one appear.

AlMightyAl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Apr 2009, 1:42 am

My thought voice is that guy from the movie trailers.
Its quite humorous actually.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 2:29 am

I've an inner voice that doesn't have to say things - it just looks at me that way...

Filip
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2009, 4:18 am

I also have an inner voice and an internal dialogue, but not with several voices and I don't talk to myself aloud. But it is a question that bothers me. Do NT's also have internal dialogs? For me, it's also a preparation for future conversations. For example, when I must ask something to my boss, I have an internal dialogue hours in advance asking myself how I must something to say. And most of the times, I replay the conversation also hours and days after in my mind. Is that common for NT's also?

Prim8
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2009, 5:49 am

Filip wrote:
I also have an inner voice and an internal dialogue, but not with several voices and I don't talk to myself aloud. But it is a question that bothers me. Do NT's also have internal dialogs? For me, it's also a preparation for future conversations. For example, when I must ask something to my boss, I have an internal dialogue hours in advance asking myself how I must something to say. And most of the times, I replay the conversation also hours and days after in my mind. Is that common for NT's also?

Filip, my partner scores like this on the Aspie Quiz:

Your Aspie score: 39 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 176 of 200

i.e., she's very NT! She says she does the same thing in terms of having internal dialogues as preparation, as well as replaying conversations afterwards. Apparently her internal 'monkey chatter' is almost incessant unless she's sound asleep. However, she doesn't ever talk aloud to herself.

For me, I definitely have internal dialogues, but this often spills over into talking to myself. There are never several voices involved, but I have been known to mentally chide myself or tell myself to shut up...I even do that aloud sometimes :oops:

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 5:59 am

Quote:
When I brush my teeth I always talk to myself. I do think about the sensation, the way I'm brushing, and whether or not my teeth will get any cleaner. I don't have one telling the other one to shut up though.

Ha I usually don't have that either, in fairness my expression was fairly stupid at the time :lol: That would be my usual thought train too :).

Quote:
But if your internal dialog is saying things like "shut the hell up", and telling you that your facial expression it stupid--that is very negative, and you should try to avoid that. I think people can get into the habit of really being hard on themselves, and constantly saying negative things about themselves. It can really eat away at your self esteem.

sometimes that negativity can be helpful, it helps me make myself seem a little more normal when I need to. But it does suck when I think something negative about myself I can't change, I won't go into details as the tread isn't about me, I was interested in hearing your responses :)

Quote:
My thought voice is that guy from the movie trailers.
Its quite humorous actually.

All I say is that I'm jealous :lol:

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 6:21 am

I have no internal dialogue, but am constantly thinking about such things without internal words.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 6:39 am

Got an internal dialogue, but only one voice and it is my voice. It is currently reading this text in english as i type it and thinking in english, is is quite intresting actually when i think about it :)

The "inner dialogue" is good when you want to reason about something. As a programmer i can say that it is very usefull.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 7:18 am

Quote:
It is currently reading this text in english as i type it and thinking in english, is is quite intresting actually when i think about it

One cool thing I remember from before I could talk (very vague memories as it was so long ago) was that my thought seemed to use words I hadn't learnt, so I guess that means my thought is completely independent of language, even though it sounds like its using words :lol: