Page 5 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 7:22 am

I don't think the theory is saying we are like a different species. It is saying autism exists because of fragments left over from Neanderthal DNA. It is causing our alleles to "switch off" due to incompatibility issues. It sounds seductive at first, but remember the last direct offspring of Neanderthal/Cro-Magnon would have existed over 24,000 years ago and that's a long time for alleles and DNA fragments. They wouldn't change in all that time and would be affecting generations today? Doesn't sound plausible.

It doesn't sound like this theory is saying we are like Neanderthal, just our dysfunctional alleles have their origins in the original cross breeding between Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons. It doesn't mean autistics have traits of Neanderthals. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 9:49 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I don't think the theory is saying we are like a different species. It is saying autism exists because of fragments left over from Neanderthal DNA. It is causing our alleles to "switch off" due to incompatibility issues. It sounds seductive at first, but remember the last direct offspring of Neanderthal/Cro-Magnon would have existed over 24,000 years ago and that's a long time for alleles and DNA fragments. They wouldn't change in all that time and would be affecting generations today? Doesn't sound plausible.

It doesn't sound like this theory is saying we are like Neanderthal, just our dysfunctional alleles have their origins in the original cross breeding between Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons. It doesn't mean autistics have traits of Neanderthals. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

Err, not. It says that LFA is caused by incompability issues, not the personality. communication and social traits. The latter traits are indeed Hn heritage. Since there is lot of dilution of Hn-traits, it is not correct to call autistics for a different species either. Hardly any autistic have all the Hn traits, and hardly no NT have no Hn traits. Our species is a hybrid.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 9:57 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I also think that this sex as glue theory may be a bit of a long shot, as it seems that unusual sexual orientations are way more prevalent in autictics than in the NT population. According to CNN 1% of the population is asexual, while the number among autistics seem to be about 10%, which is peculiar if we are supposed to be inclined to use it as described in the article.

Just one problem. Being asexual is not related to sexual orientations, it is related to social & environmental issues. In essence, asexuality is the consequence of a lack of suitable partners and a deprived environment. Just as it is in other species.

Skilpadde wrote:
”Faceblindness and Neanderthal faces. A real possibility is to check if faceblind people with autistic traits can recognize Neanderthals faces better than modern human faces.”
But that doesn’t explain why we have no trouble recognising pets of the same species that look alike to everyone else.

Probably because our general recognition ability is enhanced due to the need to use it on human faces,

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:03 am

rdos wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Err, not. It says that LFA is caused by incompability issues, not the personality. communication and social traits. The latter traits are indeed Hn heritage. Since there is lot of dilution of Hn-traits, it is not correct to call autistics for a different species either. Hardly any autistic have all the Hn traits, and hardly no NT have no Hn traits. Our species is a hybrid.

Humans and chimpanzees share traits, does this mean our species created hybrids 25,000 years ago?
Since it's been roughly 25,000 years since the last direct hybrid was produced it is unlikely the Neanderthal traits would be discernable today as distinct from those of homo sapiens.
Theoretically we do not know if they were capable of producing offspring but since it was so long ago, time elapsation has made such hybrids a bit obsolete.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:03 am

No one seems to even read one of the most contradicting facts with this theory. Japan does not have any ties to neanderthals but the rate of autism in Japan is many times higher than in most "white" european countries.

Germany has the lowest rates of autism in the developed world. The entire idea that whites are more autistic is wrong. The most autistic people are japanese and koreans.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:08 am

rdos wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
I also think that this sex as glue theory may be a bit of a long shot, as it seems that unusual sexual orientations are way more prevalent in autictics than in the NT population. According to CNN 1% of the population is asexual, while the number among autistics seem to be about 10%, which is peculiar if we are supposed to be inclined to use it as described in the article.

Just one problem. Being asexual is not related to sexual orientations, it is related to social & environmental issues. In essence, asexuality is the consequence of a lack of suitable partners and a deprived environment. Just as it is in other species.

Not so. In a recent survey in Britain, I think the largest ever of its kind, 1% of respondents answered that they had never felt sexually drawn to another human being.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:08 am

Zoonic wrote:
No one seems to even read one of the most contradicting facts with this theory. Japan does not have any ties to neanderthals but the rate of autism in Japan is many times higher than in most "white" european countries.

Germany has the lowest rates of autism in the developed world. The entire idea that whites are more autistic is wrong. The most autistic people are japanese and koreans.

That's an awesome point, Zoonic! The theory doesn't explain the prevelance of autism in such an homogenous population, either, one that has been fairly isolated for quite some time.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:12 am

Zoonic wrote:

Diagnosis is not much of an indication because it depends on culture and many other factors.

The latest results on the prevalence issue is that only people of african descent have lower prevalence rate. Not germans, not japenese. There is around 4.2% asians in the US, and 1% amerindian, and these groups do show similar interest rates as Caucasians. The Neandertthal theory claims introgression happened first in Central Asia, and this population spread both to East Asia and Europe. Therefore, there is no inconsistence with similar ASD-rates in much of Northern Asia.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:20 am

Icheb wrote:
rdos wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:

Not so. In a recent survey in Britain, I think the largest ever of its kind, 1% of respondents answered that they had never felt sexually drawn to another human being.

Quite likely as this figure seems to be similar to that of the general population. It was the nuch higher rate in ASCs that I attributed to environmental and social factors.

Still, even such a survey need to control for mate value to hold much relevance.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:24 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Humans and chimpanzees share traits, does this mean our species created hybrids 25,000 years ago?

No, the reason to believe we are a hybrid species is the two factors (Aspie and neurotypical) that come out of factor-analysis of broad surveys, and that tend to explain 60-70% of our diversity.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Since it's been roughly 25,000 years since the last direct hybrid was produced it is unlikely the Neanderthal traits would be discernable today as distinct from those of homo sapiens.

Except for one thing. Asortative mating. Asortative mating can keep traits clustered for a long time.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:30 am

Master_Shake wrote:
rdos wrote:
How do you know? Have you checked this or seen any study?

It doesn't make any sense, I don't need to do any study to discredit an idea that is ridiculous. I am part Greek, does this mean I will be better at recognizing Greek faces than pure Northern Europeans are at recognizing Greek faces?

I don't think you understand this issue. Facial physical traits are not controlled by the same genes that process faces. Therefore, the physical traits of Hn can have disappeared almost completely, while the recognition circuit for Hn faces could be retained in much higher frequencies. This is not a trait that can be selected out easily because it is not externally visible.

TobyZ
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2009, 10:32 am

And now for something completely different...

Pete Townshend, suspected Aspie:

"Dangerous"

Can you feel it in the shadows?
Watching you, touching you
Changing you into a mad dog.
Howling at the moon.
And you're so far out of tune
Better learn how to sing.

Fences, we put up our defences.
Then we come to our senses.
It may keep them out
But it keeps us in
And that makes us dangerous
We're all dangerous to ourselves

This is a jungle, not illusion,
Jungle city, in confusion,
We are the next step in evolution,
The new stone age revolution.
Back to the stone age constitution.
No solution

Watching you, touching you,
Follow you, swallow you.
Can you feel it?
Fear is the key.
Can you feel it?
Fear is the key.
Can you feel it? Can you feel it?
Fear is the key to your soul.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:38 am

Zoonic wrote:
Germany has the lowest rates of autism in the developed world.

We have?

Oh, yes!

In respects to the diagnosed crowd we're starting at a much more obvious level than the US.

What we consider hf and mild here are still obvious cases.

Whereas hf and mild in the US means AS can be totally invisible and - even parents say so - 'not a problem' which always makes me wonder why the heck they ran to the doctor because of 'no problem' and got 'no problem' diagnosed with a label that says they have a a severe disorder/a pervasive developmental disorder.

I expect the rates of diagnoses in Germany to go up fast though. More adults nowadays seek out professionals as information about AS is spread.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 10:44 am

amazon_television wrote:
rdos wrote:
amazon_television wrote:
Basic analysis NOW has been done on 63% of the genome, and still no statistically significant gene crossover has been found.

This probably has more to do with the models used to detect crossover than anything else. Initially, there where reports of SNP associations that later were retracted for unknown reasons (political correctness?).

That's the second time in like 3 days that I've heard someone on here pooh-pooh scientific anthropological findings using the outlandish conspiracy theory that they were straight up lying about their results for political reasons.

If you think this is how it works, you either have no direct experience in the field, or you want to believe something so badly that you are willing to twist the science in any way you see fit to arrive at your preferred conclusion.

Maybe the reports changed due to the fact that new information has led to the book on evolutionary recombination mechanisms in general being essentially rewritten in the last year :roll:

They are not saying it is impossible that these associations you seek do in fact exist. Like I said, they're still giving the genome a once-over; the project is a fairly new one. But thus far it's looking less and less plausible the more they get into it, and I'm pretty sure the reason why has nothing to do with "the man".

Media is trying to push political correctness stuff, but I'm well aware that there are scientific studies that does not.

Anyway, here are a couple of problems that need to be addressed:
1. We need to know the genetic background of a bunch of autistic personality-traits.
2. When we have this background, we can look at the Hn genome for these variants.

Todays genetic ASC research is clearly misguided. People are trying to do this:
1. Find LFA mutations that parents don't have
2. Find broad linkage between diagnosis and DNA.

None of the above methods are useful for validation of the Hn link.

Today, we don't even know how many of these personality-traits are genetically coded. The "novelity seeking gene" is actually a CNV (Copy Number Variation) and not a regular mutation. If autistic traits mostly can be explained with CNVs, todays scanning-techniques will fail (they indeed do) and the Hn link will be much harder to verify. This is because the Hn sequences are very short, and therefore copy numbers will be hard to assert.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 11:02 am

Skilpadde wrote:
Maybe I simply overlooked it, but I didn't see anything accounting for dyspraxia. What use could that possibly have?

It is a positive NT-trait. This trait evolved as an adaptation for group-hunting / distance hunting. Since Hn didn't have this kind of hunting, they never evolved better motor abilities. Therefore, Hn retained the ancestral type, and some autistics inherit the ancestral type from them, and thus have poorer motor abilities than NTs in general. Another factor is that Hns hunting method even might have worked against these traits and favoured different motor abilities, like being immune to being turned around and thrown around.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2009, 11:11 am

Sora wrote:
Zoonic wrote:
Germany has the lowest rates of autism in the developed world.

We have?

Oh, yes!

In respects to the diagnosed crowd we're starting at a much more obvious level than the US.

What we consider hf and mild here are still obvious cases.

Whereas hf and mild in the US means AS can be totally invisible and - even parents say so - 'not a problem' which always makes me wonder why the heck they ran to the doctor because of 'no problem' and got 'no problem' diagnosed with a label that says they have a a severe disorder/a pervasive developmental disorder.

I expect the rates of diagnoses in Germany to go up fast though. More adults nowadays seek out professionals as information about AS is spread.

The modern AS wave with the revival of the diagnosis and the tendency to diagnose "invisible" people didn't start in the US. Back in the 90's it was like that in Sweden and then the US still hardly used the term "AS" just "HFA" and most AS people were undiagnosed becasue it wasn't evident enough.

People from France and Germany who came to Sweden actually got diagnosed here, while working/living etc. The diagnosing is so extreme in Sweden that according to Gillberg 1 in 300 has AS here. I don't believe those figures for a second and the ridiculously high rates of AS here have also met heavy skepticism and opposition from the press and certain anti-diagnosis psychiatrists. AS diagnosing is way out of hand here and anyone who's slightly nerdy is diagnosed with AS.