Page 107 of 154 [ 2450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 154  Next

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

07 Apr 2017, 1:30 pm

An Oxford comma helped a group of truck drivers win a lawsuit against their employer. They sued their company for being refused overtime pay based on a confusing state document that lists the jobs that are ineligible for overtime, which includes the “packing for shipment or distribution of” products. Because the drivers distribute but do not pack their trucks, the absent serial comma after ‘shipment’ made the sentence’s intent too vague, and they won the case.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 2:03 pm

Aviation Week magazine was 100 years old last year.
It has been named Aviation Week and Space Technology for some years now.
Went through a couple changes of title on the cover during the time as technology developed but it was still a continuous publication.

Quote:
First published on Aug. 1, 1916 as Aviation and Aeronautical Engineering, the magazine's title has changed over the years to reflect its readership base and the industries it serves. It changed to Aviation, Aviation News, Aviation Week, then became Aviation Week Including Space Technology in 1958 before finally changing to its current title, Aviation Week & Space Technology, in 1962. The magazine is the flagship of the Aviation Week Network.

http://aviationweek.com/century-aviation-week

The first successful steam locomotive was put in service over 200 years ago
Quote:
The most notable was Robert Trevithick, a Cornishman, who in 1803 built the first steam locomotive to run on rails, which were essential because an adequately powerful engine was too heavy for roads or wooden tracks.

http://www.historytoday.com/richard-cav ... locomotive

One of the first successful electric locomotives was demonstrated 138 years ago
Quote:
The first electrics date back to 1879 when Werner Von Siemens successfully demonstrated the technology on a small railway in Berlin, Germany.
http://www.american-rails.com/electric-locomotives.html

Diesel locomotives date back 100 years.
(I'm prejudiced against Wiki sources but this article is well footnoted)
Quote:
The world's first diesel-powered locomotive was operated in the summer of 1912 on the Winterthur-Romanshorn Railroad in Switzerland, but was not a commercial success.[9] In 1906, Rudolf Diesel, Adolf Klose and the steam and Diesel engine manufacturer Gebrüder Sulzer founded Diesel-Sulzer-Klose GmbH to manufacture Diesel-powered locomotives. Sulzer had been manufacturing Diesel engines since 1898. The Prussian State Railways ordered a Diesel locomotive from the company in 1909, and after test runs between Winterthur and Romanshorn the Diesel-mechanical locomotive was delivered in Berlin in September 1912. During further test runs in 1913 several problems were found. After the First World War broke out in 1914, all further trials were stopped. The locomotive weight was 95 tonnes and the power was 883 kW with a maximum speed of 100 km/h.[10] Small numbers of prototype diesel locomotives were produced in a number of countries through the mid-1920s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_lo ... r_rail_use

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 4:21 pm

The ring-tailed lemur that smells the worst is in charge of the whole group.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:24 pm

How about an obscure fact I just learned.

Quote:
Boeing 737, which ‘took the aviation world by storm,’ marks 50 years of flight
Originally published April 7, 2017 at 6:00 am
Brien Wygle, the pilot who commanded that first flight on April 9, 1967, and who two years later was co-pilot on the first flight of the 747 jumbo jet, will participate in a panel discussion at noon in the museum theater.

“Fifty years ago we had no idea,” Wygle, 92, said in an interview this week. “We were hoping to eventually sell enough to break even.”

As it turned out, the longevity and success of the 737 proved astounding. Boeing as of last month had delivered 9,448 of the single-aisle twinjets, with 4,506 more still on order.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/bo ... of-flight/
Quote:
And the original from 50 years ago will also be there for its birthday bash.

That plane was used as a Boeing test aircraft until 1973, then sold to NASA for use as a flying research laboratory.

NASA donated the plane to the Museum of Flight in 1997, and during six years in storage at Moses Lake it was lovingly restored by a team led by former 737 engineer Bob Bogash.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 8:35 pm

Russia has so many accidents due to icy roads that a car insurance agent turned it into a sport. ‘Car curling’ is just like Olympic curling except cars are used instead of stones. Each team has a group that pushes the cars toward the target (often biting it on the ice as soon as they let go) and a driver who either steers to the center, or smashes the other team’s cars out of the way.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 3:54 pm

Ring-tailed lemurs have exactly thirteen white stripes and thirteen black stripes.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 7:29 pm

In the 1950s, there were ‘jump centers’ at gas stations across the US so kids could hop on trampolines while their parents stopped to fill up the tank.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 12:10 am

riboswitched mRNA is capable of regulating its own activity in accordance with the concentration of the small molecule that it binds with.

the average height of an israelite man in christ's time was probably around....5 feet.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 9:27 am

While Napoleon, at 5' 6", would be considered short by today's standards, he was tall by the standards of his time.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 9:39 am

A hot bath can burn as many calories as a 30 minute walk. One study found that men who spent an hour in a 104-degree bath burned 140 calories, moderated their blood sugar levels throughout the following day, and displayed an anti-inflammatory response that’s usually associated with exercise.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 7:36 pm

Steve Wright, a reasonably well known (in the UK) BBC radio presenter, is allergic to baked beans.

ShyTalking
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2017, 9:07 pm

:oops:

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 9:10 pm

In the first English translation of Death Note, Halle Lidner's name is mistranslated as "Hal". Which of course tends to be a male name. It was corrected in future printings and How to Read. The rather masculine Raye Penber's name remained uncorrected. Although the katakana reading, "Rei", tends to be a female name. Raye is canonically half-Japanese. Hmm...

And Mail, Matt's real first name, is pronounced Mile.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

ShyTalking
Toucan
Toucan

16 Apr 2017, 9:12 pm

:roll:

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 11:14 am

^How is an eye-roll an obscure fact? :scratch:

The Last Unicorn was made into an animated movie and worked on by people who would later form Studio Ghibli.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 4:28 pm

George Washington braved the dangers of many battles, had horses shot out from under him, and crossed enemy lines to return a lost dog to its owner, but he was never witnessed as being the least bit nervous until the day he gave his inaugural address before Congress as the first president of the United States on April 30, 1789.

Senator William Maclay of Pennsylvania observed that ‘even the great Washington trembled when he faced the assembled representatives and senators:’ “This great man was agitated and embarrassed, more than ever he was by the leveled Cannon or pointed Musket.”

The first line of Washington’s First Inaugural Address, April 30, 1789:
“Among the vicissitudes incident to life, no event could have filled me with greater anxieties than that of which the notification was transmitted by your order, and received on the fourteenth day of the present month.”