Page 7 of 252 [ 4018 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 252  Next

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 9:35 pm

Mike has an amazed expression. "Sounds like an interesting place, I would love to wave around some scientific equipment at it."

He starts thinking a bit and he does a few calculations on his robotic arm. "This might be sort of explained by a high energy zero point field... Oh, but that would require the cosmological constant to be lower and that would make it not a constant... It might be the inflaton field... That's highly unstable though and it has a tendency to explode... Yeah, I'm stumped. It's most likely a currently unknown field-particle combination, but I have no way to know right now."

[ooc]
I don't plan on having Mike actually discover the secret behind Lilli's magic, although he will try. That kind of knowlage would sort of ruin my science fiction universe and make it too much like Star Wars with space ships and something simelar to the force coexisting.
[/ooc]

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Last edited by mikeman7918 on 30 Jun 2016, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 9:45 pm

Laura gasped. "There's this guy named Professor Sycamore that knows pretty much everything! Lets go see him..*yawn* tomorrow.." She was talking normal again, and seemed kind of sleepy.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 10:01 pm

"He sounds just like my type of person, I can't wait to talk to him. Anyway, do you have anywhere for me to sleep? If not I could warp in a poptent or just spend the night in the Nexus wormhole station. I have been looking for an excuse to open a hole in space-time for a few hours now, it's really awesome."

Deviant Art

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 8:26 am

Suddenly Lilli's face lit up.
"Wait!"
"You said that's how you got here, right?
Do you think... you could use that same thing to get me back home?"

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 9:54 am

"Heheh.. If you wanna open it that bad then go ahead! But you could just sleep on the sofa in the living room." She smiled sweetly.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 12:50 pm

"OK, I guess I'll sleep on the sofa then. I sort of do need an excuse if I want to open the wormhole because they take a lot of power that can usually be put to better use elsewhere."

Mike turns to Lilli and speaks English. "And Lilli, the wormhole technology that got me here has some limitations you should know about. There are two ways to generate wormholes that we know about: one is to create both sides of it in the same place and take each side to it's destination the old fashioned way which doesn't require much power, the second way uses a breach device which makes the other side of the wormhole appear in a random place, time, and dimension which is how I got here. If I loose this wormhole I have with me now then I will never be able to return, and the technology to target wormholes does not exist, at least right now."

Deviant Art

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 1:09 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:
...That kind of knowlage would sort of ruin my science fiction universe and make it too much like Star Wars with space ships and something similar to the force coexisting.

That's exactly where I got it from. :lol:
~~~
Their face went blank. "Oh. I see."

They didn't speak, but as Mike was walking in, they said:

"Well.. I don't have the book, but I did take a picture...
Could I show you tomorrow?"

Last edited by Lillikoi on 01 Jul 2016, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 3:31 pm

"Yeah, I'd love to see it. Sorry I couldn't help yo-..." Mike stops and he has a supprised expression. "Unless..." He punches some numbers into the computer on his arm into some complicated equations. "In theory it's possible, but it's a long shot."

[ooc]
It will be under your control weather this idea works or not, and I will try to make it obvious when you can make this decision.
[/ooc]

Deviant Art

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 4:13 pm

Worry creased their brow.
"And... what would happen if it failed?"

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 4:19 pm

Laura was sitting on Hatsune's back, looking over Mike's shoulder. Since she diddnt know anything about math past the fourth grade, it gave her a headache just to look at. She leaned over, laying against Hatsune's long neck, and started to drift off to sleep, listening to Mike and Lilli talk. Just as she was about to go completely to sleep, but she felt a familiar jolt of electricity run through her. Sparkler, her Jolteon, was looking up at her from the ground. Neither mike nor Lilli had noticed her dozing off, and they were still talking. Sparkler pointed a paw at at hatsune, who had fallen asleep standing up, again. "Sorry." She whispered, not wanting to wake her up or interupt their conversation, and hopped down, landing in between them. So much for not interupting... She thought.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:07 pm

"If we fail then we waste a day or two of work." Says Mike. "Oh, and I probably better tell you what it is we might be able to do. You see, wormholes are so hard to create because it requires creating a rip in space and then having space stitch back together in a different shape. The same thing needs to happen to destroy a wormhole though and it's rarely practical to invest the energy to do so when you can just stop holding it open and have it shrink to the Planck scale. The Planck length is the smallest scale worth talking about because nothing can ever get smaller then that, and if the Sun were a hydrogen atom then one Planck length would be 8.6 millimeters long, it's crazy small. The wormhole you came in probably still exists in the Planck scale, but we need to find it. It will not simply be where you came through because wormholes follow spacial curvature and so they fall, they also don't collide with anything because they have no force charges and they can slip right through atoms. The wormhole will follow a highly elliptical orbit with the lowest point being near the center of Earth and the highest point being just above the surface, so every 45 minutes or so the wormhole will pop out of the ground for a few seconds. It won't be the same place every time because it will not follow Earth's rotation, but if I knew enough about the initial position and velocity of the wormhole then I could calculate where it will be and we could be there waiting with a wormhole containment capsule. The Nexus station has the hardware to open wormholes like that back up."

[ooc]
If Lilli doesn't remember the position of the wormhole within about 0.3 meters then this won't work. I don't know what you have planned for your character, but if you want to keep them around for a while then it may be a good idea to make this not work.
[/ooc]

Deviant Art

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:17 pm

Laura's face lit up like a christmas tree. She stood up and dusted herself off and grinned. "If the wormhole doesnt follow earth's rotation, then all we have to do is go back to Vert Plaza at the same exact time tomorrow! "

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 6:04 pm

Mike turns to Laura and says "Slight problem, the wormhole follows spacial curvature and it's orbital period is unlikely to be in any sort of resonance with Earth's rotation. Earth curves space to create gravity, and the wormhole will follow that. We may have to wait a few days for it to surface for a few seconds anywhere near us and we will have to be there to catch it. The orbit is elliptical so-... Crap, I forgot to account for the lower gravity near Earth's core so it will not be an ellipse. I shouldn't have been using Keppler equations that assume point source gravity, I need a piece wise function made from modified Newtonian equations to properly calculate a subterranean orbit. This will be harder then I thought... I will assume that the density gradient on this Earth is the same as it is on the Earth I am from." He continues to do calculations.

Sam says "Knowing Mike, he will probably be busy with that for a while."

[ooc]
It should be noted that the way I have portrayed wormholes is based on predictions made by string theory and general relativity, and the only part I have made up is how they are created. I am about as nerdy as Mike, and I have actually used a calculator a few times in this roleplay. My science fiction universe is meant to be as far fetched as possible while breaking as few laws of physics as possible.
[/ooc]

Deviant Art

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 7:16 pm

Laura yawned again, going back inside to go to bed. She diddnt even bother with her pajamas since she was that tired.

She woke up the next morning with Anna, Randy, and Sparkler curled up next to her. She hoped that Mike and Lilli didn't stay up all night long calculating and worrying. She gently picked up Randy and put him out of the way, hopped out of her bed, and got ready. She was wearing a frilly bubblegum pink skirt, a white blouse, sparkly silver ballet flats, no hat, and her hair was down. She was still wearing the necklace from before. She heard a knock at the door, opened it, and nearly passed out. "Great Arceus! Calem, what are you doing here?" She screeched. "I was just wanting to tell you about this thing they found at the bottom of that giant hole in Geosenge Town. Its apparently this key thing that belonged to Team Flare."

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 7:44 pm

Mike wakes up with a start on the sofa from Laura's screech, Sam goes out of sleep mode and takes off from the table.

Mike: "What time is it and what time did I go to sleep?"
Sam: "It's 8:14 AM and you fell asleep at 3:43 AM."
Mike: "Oh..."

Mike launches the computer program that he was working on last night to predict the location of the wormhole and once he enters some test values the program freezes up. "Yep, that loop error still exists. I guess I fell asleep while trying to fix it." He sits up and continues trying to debug the program on a holographic computer interface.

Deviant Art

Midnightstar16
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 8:17 pm

Laura looked behind her, feeling slightly bad for him. She rerembered Team Flare, the evil group that wanted to activate the ultimate weapon and wipe out all of humanity, exept for themselves. AZ, the former king of Kalos, had granted himself and his Floette eternal life. She had befriended the man and his pokemon, he was actually really nice. However, he was missing the weird...thing around his neck. She had only seen him with it once, and yes, it did resemble a key. But she couldnt rerember what it was the key to...