A different 4 Stages of Aspergers – Where are You?

Page 5 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

GoofyGreatDane
Raven
Raven

18 Feb 2015, 12:19 am

This isnt a 12 step program - not everone follows the same "steps". I have never told anyone I have been diagnosed with Asperger's. If someone doesnt understand why I am "different" - I won't let them know because well, thats just too personal. I went through different phases. Diagnosed at 16- I experienced stage 1: "relief-i actually have a cool label- yay"-lasted a few days. Then my parents made it seem more serious than I thought and it quickly turned to stage 2 "depression- aspergers means I will be unlikely to ever....". Then came stage 3 - a seemingly contradictory phase of simultaneous denial and acceptance where i started to believe: " to accept the label means to accept that I am disabled- which I do not consider myself- however I do have the Asperger's "mind type" and would not consider myself neurotypical or aspergers- but something in between". I am transitioning into stage 3 now.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2015, 6:11 am

By the time i got the diagnosis, i already knew because i had been reading up on Psychology. So the relieved phase never entered me.

Has to be a 5th stage, probably the "I'm getting on with my life"-stage.

silentmode
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Feb 2015, 6:42 pm

I never got past validation, primarily because at my diagnosis it was suggested that I didnt disclose my condition for fear of prejudice and judgmental attitudes..The relief is the best part.

Derek281
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Mar 2015, 10:58 pm

For me finding out simply happened too late in life to make much of a difference. It does explain a lot of things but its not a condition I would discuss with co-workers or the women I date (sugar dating). Sort of like the CIA knowing what caused a disaster but keeping it secret from the public for national security reasons. Its like finding out what caused a plane to crash and that it was not 100% pilot error.

As a site financial manager I would not want my AS to be known or suspected by people at work. Consequently things like "need to know" and positive spin are important.

Frozenthru
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2015, 9:34 am

Validation, but also Getting on with life. As long as it all makes sense to me I don't really care what others are thinking about me, and right now it doesn't adversely effect my employment (SAHM) or lifestyle. I am glad that I know, but most others don't need to.

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 11:09 am

BTDT wrote:
There is a fifth stage in which you get to share your experiences and adaptations so others don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Been there, done that...

+1 for this post. Exactly where I am, a year on.

bookworm360
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2015, 3:31 am

I think I'm still in Stage 0 Grief-- really confronting an coming to terms with the fact that I'm not neurotypical, and that it means certain things that I took for granted assuming they would just happen one day never will. Namely I've come to the decision that I will not allow myself to become a father, because in my case I'm unable to provide for another persons emotional needs (which I personally consider one of the most important task of parenthood) as well as some other issues.

I just can't ethically justify it (and I hold ethical ideals higher than biological imperatives). I never really wanted kids, but the fact that I never will has put me in an unexpected depression.

SciFiCoyote
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jul 2015, 5:21 pm

I'm not sure I'm at any particular stage. I'm fully diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, and sometimes I'm aware of it, but then other times I convince myself that I'm not. And then I find a list of symptoms, or my wife calls b.s., and then I'm full in the face with it again. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I find it wholly depressing.

I'm still mixed.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 7:50 pm

Doesn't seem to fit me much at all:

Relief: I didn't realise I had ASD in a flash, I just slowly became more and more convinced as more evidence came in. And things began to make sense very gradually too, in fact I'm still working on that. So there wasn't any well-defined stage of relief.

Validation: I didn't hold out much hope that anybody would particularly believe me or understand my condition, DX or not. I'd already seen on WP how the world tends to say "no you haven't got that" or to stigmatise us. I handed in my DX at work, but nobody validated me or apologised for misunderstanding me, and I never expected they would. As for friends and family, it mostly went in one ear and out of the other. I wasn't surprised at all. ASD is a pretty complex thing, it makes their heads hurt even more than it makes mine hurt.

Momentum: "assistance, accommodations, treatment, medication" ? I neither expected nor received any of those things apart from job adjustments, which as I expected were done with little enthusiasm or initiative. They never even wrote them down, I just found myself unofficially exempted from some of the things I'd whinged about during diagnosis. I always felt they'd only do it because they were scared of being sued, and that if they ever thought they might get away with it, they'd start rolling them back. These are employers, right? I didn't expect or receive any help from the National Health Service, and I sure wasn't going to buy it without a money back warranty, which I didn't notice anybody offering. The NHS GP offered me cut-price sedatives and antidepressants - what, drug me up so I can work harder for my employer without throwing a wobbly? No thanks.

Camaraderie: Well, I came to feel some camaraderie on WP, albeit gradual. But long before WP and my DX I'd found people in real life who I related to - oddballs, misfits, hippies, nonconformists, dropouts, anarchists, bohemians, musicians - so it wasn't the first time I'd felt a sense of belonging, and although I came to have a high regard for many of the folks I've talked with on WP, at the end of the day its online nature limits its social power, though its power is admittedly considerable. And there's been a lot of practical help here for me, in tracking down some of the mysteries of ASD.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 8:31 pm

Validation. "I knew I wasn't broken! I'm just different!! !"

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 9:11 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Camaraderie: Well, I came to feel some camaraderie on WP, albeit gradual. But long before WP and my DX I'd found people in real life who I related to - oddballs, misfits, hippies, nonconformists, dropouts, anarchists, bohemians, musicians - so it wasn't the first time I'd felt a sense of belonging, and although I came to have a high regard for many of the folks I've talked with on WP, at the end of the day its online nature limits its social power, though its power is admittedly considerable. And there's been a lot of practical help here for me, in tracking down some of the mysteries of ASD.

Those were the same type of people I gravitated towards as well. Probably, because they were more accepting of me. I actually posted about this topic ~ 1 year ago: viewtopic.php?t=260480

Interestingly, while I was growing up and into early adulthood, this fact (not fitting in with the “normal” people) really bothered me. Probably, because both my older brother and younger sister had so many friends who were all “normal”. They were the type of kids who were popular (or maybe not popular, but definitely not an “outsider” like me) who would grow up and have “normal” jobs and live a “normal” lifestyle. It made me sad. Why couldn’t I develop relationships with these types of people? Fortunately, now I understand the deal. And, now, none of this matters to me.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 11:09 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

Those were the same type of people I gravitated towards as well. Probably, because they were more accepting of me. I actually posted about this topic ~ 1 year ago: viewtopic.php?t=260480

Good thread - I think I'll bump it after this 8)
Quote:
Interestingly, while I was growing up and into early adulthood, this fact (not fitting in with the “normal” people) really bothered me. Probably, because both my older brother and younger sister had so many friends who were all “normal”. They were the type of kids who were popular (or maybe not popular, but definitely not an “outsider” like me) who would grow up and have “normal” jobs and live a “normal” lifestyle. It made me sad. Why couldn’t I develop relationships with these types of people? Fortunately, now I understand the deal. And, now, none of this matters to me.

I simply redefined the mainstream as the problem, and turned my back on the whole bloody lot of them. I was lucky enough to stumble on a whole district of bohemian types, and was offered a room in a shared house full of anarchists and eccentrics. I had at last found the right planet. :D

Philomena
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2015, 6:15 pm

Am still at stage 1: it all makes sense now. And with "it all" I mean my whole 71 years. Reading these posts helps. Now I understand for example why I left my "comfortable" life in Europe to live with a group of bohemians, anarchists, musicians and non-conformists in Ireland. I was 50, and although I was considered aloof, I was accepted for who I was.

JCJC777
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2015, 5:40 am

Rocket123 wrote:
I read an interesting blog post describing the 4 Stages of Aspergers. See http://qw88nb88.wordpress.com/2008/11/2 ... o-through/

I have included the stages below:

Quote:
Relief

Oh, thank goodness! Things finally make sense. “Of course! Why didn’t I figure this out sooner?“

Validation

You knew that something was different, and now you have an Official Diagnosis to show your extended family, friends, neighbors, school, or office that, “Yes, I’m not being lazy, stupid, or hypochondriac.” (And yes, I actually know what I’m talking about, more often than not.)

Momentum

A shiny new diagnosis gives you the means to move forwards and get some assistance, accommodations, treatment, medication, or whatever else is appropriate in your case. You are now un-stuck from the limbo of the have-suspicions-but-undiagnosed. Whee, progress!

Camaraderie

“Hey, I’m not alone! There are other people out here dealing with the same issues!” They can help me figure out how to do things, how to get what I need, and I can learn from them so I don’t have to re-invent the wheel. Plus, they provide moral support when I’m down, and an ear when I need to b***h, and they will serve as reality-checks and let me know when I’m being foolish or spouting off nonsense.

I was just recently diagnosed. I am at Relief. Where are you and what do you think of these stages?

the stages down the line are

Realisation

This condition is making my life very painful, severely damaging my social interactions, and hurting my loved ones. Despite what many on WP pretend, this is not fun, and not good.

Exploration to overcome Asperger

A few of us here have found ways out of Asperger (mine is here http://unlearningasperger.blogspot.co.uk ); if you'd like to join with us, let us know. I encourage you to explore many different approaches to get out from under that rock.

Go well

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 3:26 am

Do they blend into each other from top to bottom? Because if they do I'm in the Relief Stage, cause I'm not getting a diagnosis.