Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 3:49 pm

Growing up, the house was always a mess. No one in the house cleaned up after themselves, even if they spilled something on the counter and food was always left out. Clothes would be left in the middle of the living room and the garbage can was left to be overfilled. Even a simple task like the dishes could take hours. Cleaning the kitchen would take all day, the house could take up an entire weekend and still not be finished. I hated that with a passion.

I prefer a simple, small space with limited furniture and clutter that needs tidying every now and then. I refuse to let chores build up to the point I have to do those large weekend cleaning projects. Instead, I clean as I go, doing random chores throughout the week, and I put things back as I use them. For dishes, I do them as I'm waiting for my meal to cook. When I'm done with them, I rinse them off or let them soak until I'm ready to make my next meal. By doing all that, it's really easy to keep the house clean.

Viva la organized! :lol:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 9:01 pm

My landlord's gonna take a look at my place tomorrow and I need it to be clean. *sigh* There's so much to do.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2015, 10:25 pm

I am apparently unusually catlike clean. Neat, tidy, clean, minimal. I can't stand a living space that is dirty or messy or cluttered. I don't love cleaning perse, but it beats the alternative and living alone no one else is going to do it but me. It has annoyed me in previous houses where other tenants knew this and deliberately left everything dirty and messy because they knew I was more likely to clean up after them than leave things filthy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 8:52 am

I'm very much a minimalist myself.

I still need an extra bottle of shampoo, say, so I'm not left with none when I run out.

I don't like to clean--and I always try to find the "easy way" to get rid of the dirt.

I don't throw garbage out windows, though. I just make sure I find "grease relief" type stuff to get rid of the grease quicker. Grease has a way of remaining a nuisance if one doesn't clean it right away.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 9:57 am

Flylady.net

I used to clean all the time until I went back to school and had no time. If you don't keep a handle on the cleaning then things pile up and the job is overwhelming - like now. Once school is over, my plan is to get cleaning and have things in order before Christmas. I'm at the point now that I'm starting to throw out everything and take it to Goodwill.

Anyway, I used the website above for awhile and I think I'll try it again. It did have some helpful tips on how to stay organized with cleaning. Of course my"cleaning book" on how to stay organized with my cleaning was more organized than my cleaning. :roll: It's still worth a try.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 10:04 am

I just found out that Flylady has phone apps too. I went to the website and it might just keep me motivated. I guess we'll see.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

czarsmom
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Dec 2015, 6:00 pm

Actually I perceive myself as the type of person who hates to clean, because there was a lot of abuse around housecleaning when I was a teen ager from my mom. I find that oftentimes the anticipation of cleaning house is worse than the actual job itself.

Here is how I cope:
1) my husband helps me with it
2) I keep the house clutter free which makes it easier to keep clean
3) I mentally assign only 1 day a week to serious house cleaning, and just clean a specific area of my house each week.
4) I try to mentally stimulate myself during this by listening to interesting youtube videos or audio programs, because I find it to be very mundane and boring.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 7:37 pm

I'M SO EXCITED! I'm getting a new vacuum! It's a Dyson animal stick vacuum that is cordless! I'm getting it from QVC and the attachments are added in for free! I can't tell you how much this vacuum will make cleaning be. I know I'm strange, but I just love interesting cleaning supplies! It's going to be showing up the first week of the new year. Woo Hoo and Yippee too!

Darn, I flunked.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2015, 10:10 pm

I have a spring clean at the end of the year by burning all the stuff I've accumulated.
Things that don't burn I give to charity.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 2:23 pm

I hire it done. Even at that, it's a trial because my significant other is a bit of a horder, so our housekeeper has learned she has to work around the piles of stuff. But at least the place is clean, even if it isn't neat.

I have a long-term agenda of reducing the stuff we keep and organizing the rest; and it appears my sig-o has a long term agenda of keeping what we have and obtaining more. And so it goes.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 2:05 pm

nurseangela wrote:
I just found out that Flylady has phone apps too. I went to the website and it might just keep me motivated. I guess we'll see.

Thank you for the heads up on the Flylady app.

I love her basic routines, and am thrilled there is something to remind me.

I don't exactly love everything she does, but the basic day routines and zone cleaning helps our place not look like HoarderVille.

melmaclorelai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jan 2016, 11:50 pm

I have a complicated relationship with cleaning. My egg donor (doesn't deserve the mother title) pawned all of the cleaning off on me and expected me to do it all by myself as soon as I was old enough for it but she never actually taught me how to clean. Somehow, she managed to convince herself that I would learn it all by magic or something. She used physical and emotional abuse as discipline and that's what I would get if I ever failed to clean something to her standards. And she'd wonder why I wasn't keen on cleaning. :roll:

When I moved in with my dad, he couldn't fathom that I just hadn't been taught how to clean properly and he got incredibly angry and frustrated with me over it even though I wasn't the one to blame. He'd insist upon standing over me and dictating every single second of it whenever I attempted to clean and losing his temper whenever I did something 'wrong' in his eyes. And then he'd wonder why I didn't want to clean in front of him. :roll:

I refused to clean for a good many years during my adolescence because of that. Now, I'll only clean when he's not around to watch and criticize which he's not happy about. I do a good job of it too now that I've learnt the proper methods and aren't having to rely solely on my haphazard, improvised methods. I don't particularly enjoy it though. I can see the value in having a clean home and I do make an effort to clean my designated part of the house regularly (the deal is that I do this and he doesn't watch and harrass me while I do).

I'm definitely not a neat freak by any stretch of the imagination. I don't see any value in cleaning something that's already clean. I want there to be a little bit of dust or dirt on something before I clean it. Until that happens, it's not dirty enough to clean, in my eyes.

I am really good at organizing though and enjoy it much more than cleaning. All of the cupboards in this house are extremely neat and organized because of me. :D

Illangelo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2016, 1:32 pm

I really do not enjoy the act of cleaning but the satisfaction of seeing my house neat and tidy afterwards is always welcome. As far personal hygiene, i am very strict with this, a minimum of two baths a day, fingernails must be spotless, and a fresh haircut is a must.