Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 11:26 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/calif ... f272&ei=21

Pacific Gas and Electric increasing prices. It's not that cold where I live, about 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Much warmer than Alaska. (fine). But my worthless corpse has symptoms of Reynaulds Phenomenon. Frozen paws. My sister, who owns the house I have been living in and pays the utilities, told me that the PGE bill last month, too high. She told me to turn off the heater. She told me that on Wednesday and I turned it off and haven't turned it back on. Feet have been frozen again in the morning. Short of moving somewhere with warmer climate or installing insulation in the house, I am all out of ideas. Thinking takes too much energy and my brain doesn't want to do it. (outnumbered overpowered outsmarted.) ("And Resignation was her crony.") 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/li ... rcna137204

Furthermore, some articles claim that California has had some dramatic storms the past couple of days and it's not over yet.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/careers ... 6#image=51

"1. Parking lot attendants©Martin Smith // Shutterstock
- 'Job misery' index: 97.2
- Median pay: $19,700
- 'High meaning' score: 5%
- 'High satisfaction' score: 41%

Although parking lot attendants are still in demand and will be for the foreseeable future, this position ranks highest on the list of the worst jobs. Parking attendants must deal with a lot of boredom, and a scant sense of meaning. The position also can take a toll on the bodies of workers who are stuck outside in terrible weather."

I have been a lot attendant at home depot for three years and three months and counting.

According to the above article (which I had zero influence on), my job is (allegedly) the worst job. (But I would imagine fast food workers are much worse jobs, and hard labor.)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 11:20 am

etc

Plenty of people surviving outdoors with clothing/blankets etc. No reason you can't wear them indoors to keep warmer during cool Spring nights.

Do you have a wood burning fireplace? Could source free wood to burn and keep warmer. But other than that there's no reason to have bare hands if they're getting too cold.. cover them up. Mittens/gloves, blanket etc. Super inexpensive to buy things from a thrift store or second hand online vs. paying full retail, too.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 11:42 am

If you want to use a screen and keep your fingers free whilst cold, you could always ration the time you have some gloves or mittens on your hands. Keep them on for an hour, take them off for an hour, etc.

That is, if you are desperate. Which it sounds like you are.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 12:24 pm

I wear insulated pants during the winter inside. Both flannel lined and fleece.
During the hot summer months I'll switch to short shorts.
A light jacket or sweater can be worn indoors. Sometimes I'll wear three layer tops.

Keeps the utility bills low by keeping it at 68 in the winter and no AC in the summer.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2024, 3:01 pm

I'm pretty much always cold and poor as hell to boot. I swear by hot tea in giant mugs for my hands and a heat pad for my feet when I'm just sitting around. I try to keep busy enough during the day and alternate between times of sitting and standing (due to body issues), so I tend to keep warm enough in the afternoons, but at night or on an off day...yeah a hot drink and heat pad for the feet do the trick nicely. Also, if you have a large sock around, fill it with rice and either sew up the open part or tie it off. You can microwave it (if you have a microwave) and those things hold heat for a bit and can be nice to have by your feet when going to bed...or to use whenever really. They're pretty nice to. And has been mentioned, layer up. I always have pants on under my pants, at least one pair of socks on, a beanie, stuff like that goes a long way as does a nice, thick hoodie.