Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HH
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2009, 5:15 pm

Does anyone else see some of the AS traits in nieces, nephews, younger cousins, children of older cousins, and so on?

hazelm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2009, 8:43 pm

Nope. Not in the least. They're so NT it's discouraging. My grandma maybe possibly has a few traits, but are grandparents considered immediate or extended family?

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2009, 7:48 am

If one wanted, once could prove the genetic link using my extended family (on both sides) alone!

It's RAMPANT!!

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 12:29 pm

Yes, my father and my nephew. There's a term for it--"broad autistic phenotype".

17 Nov 2009, 5:55 pm

My parents, little brother, uncle, and I was told my grandma had it.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2009, 3:46 am

My mom
My paternal grandfather and his younger brother
Possibly one of my cousins that I know of

possibly more....

There is a distant cousin...but I am not sure if he is a blood relative...who is more on the Kanners side.

None are diagnosed, but my uncle-mentioned above lived a very solitary life outside of society and had some very pronounced tendencies...

TiredGeek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2009, 3:24 pm

I'm pretty sure my dad had it. And there several relatives on my mom's side who show tendencies.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 7:53 pm

This may sound odd but the idea of extended family is very alien to me. I am just getting used to the idea of my sister’s in-laws now that she is getting married. I have nothing against them, but not really going to spend that much time around them if I can help it. I keep my social commitments manageable. This is something I learnt I have to do, or I deteriorate. Fortunately they are fairly independent folk and mostly live abroad. My sister laughed when I identified one of the in-laws as "the one that grabs your hand and talks in your face".

My blood-related extended family is mostly abroad. My mother side they are all ultra social. My dads side is small, basically just his sister family. I don't know them that well, but one cousin has schizophrenia.

It is my dad that is the most Aspie. Although I’ve had the most false starts and am diagnosed, he is actually the one with the most pronounced and stereotypical traits IMO. Like today I had to get him to calm down. It is quite funny that it is me the one doing that. I sort of know whn he is going to blow, so I pre-emt it.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 8:21 pm

I suspect my father and at least one of my grandchildren are somewhere in the spectrum. Discovering my own AS/HFA (self-diagnosed) has explained a lot of things about my father and my childhood, and I am now extremely grateful for today's opportunities to try to spare one or more of my grandchildren some of the troubles of my own past.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 9:45 am

hazelm wrote:
Nope. Not in the least. They're so NT it's discouraging.

It's a completely foreign concept for the majority of my family. Explaining to them that asking me to "just behave differently" is akin to asking an individual born with one leg to "grow a leg" is futile.

Even more frustrating, my direct family (father, grandmother, mother) are a bizarre combination of phenotype personalities and denial.

Indirectly, the more I learn about socializing and the general order the more my direct family seems to benefit. Inversely, the more I progress the more my extended family feels foreign.

Growing-up in a home with two parents on the spectrum it's hard to imagine a) that i could, even if an NT, learn social order from within the household and b) as an AS that coming into my own can be done within familiar terms.

Almost everything I've learnt that has helped me understand myself and the world has been learnt through friends and friends families.

max_renn
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Nov 2009, 11:25 pm

Before I was diagnosed, or even really seriously suspected it, I knew that my dad's cousin was mildly autistic.

After my own condition was confirmed and I told my parents, I sent them some helpful web links, and my mother began realized that some of her relatives displayed a lot of similar traits. Her father, my maternal grandfather, especially now strikes her as possibly AS; he's also the one relative that all my life everyone has said I take after the most. Maybe that's not a coincidence.

I also now know that a distant younger cousin of mine was diagnosed with Aspergers several years ago, a bit more severe than mine. When my mom told HIS mom, her response was "Oh. I'm not surprised." so I guess she could maybe see something was going on with me.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 7:43 am

Yes.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2009, 8:46 am

It is hard to believe some professionals when they say things like HFA/AS is more prevalent in society today than it was in the past.

The amount of diagnosis is higher but we're looking in places that were ignored before.

This thread is a case in point. If such a vast majority of older family members are spectrum it cannot be a modern phenomena.

Three generations in my family can be said to easily fall within the HFA/AS criteria. That takes us back to 1904. From family stories related by my grandparents something tells me that their parents would qualify.

It will be interesting how the fight for human rights within our community will affect the lives of future spectrum riders.

Visibility Matters.

emc2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Dec 2009, 6:14 am

Who do I start with?

The uncle who has built a flight simulator in the family home?

His son who has a "shyness problem" but worked in IT

A great-great grandfather/uncle? who was a "rare fern collector"

My father who has various fixations

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 5:55 pm

AS trait in family:

My grandpa-mother side (Aspie)
My mother (AS trait but NT?)
My uncle (Aspie)
his sons (Aspie)
Another uncle (NT with NT children? I don't know really because they are extroverted, they are "weird" but I don't think on the spectrum, simply weird)
my sisters (NT with a few aspie trait expecially when they were children)
my father (NT with some Aspie trait)

my wife (Aspie)
my daughter (Aspie)
my wife father (Aspie)
my wife mother (some Aspie trait but NT I think)

The only DXed or at least self-DXed are me, my wife, my daughter, my uncle and his sons. The others are my suppositions. All AS or supposed AS people in my family are also gifted.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2009, 6:08 pm

yes both sides of the family all over you can find AS traits or ADHD