Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

autisticstar
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2010, 10:48 am

Hi,

I have reached the illustrious age of 40 and have been reflecting on various items. One is the realization that, with the exception of my sisters, all family relationships have been completely one-sided. I have tried reaching out to family members but it has always been me doing the visiting, calling, writing, etc. I have pretty much given up on the idea that my family will be a source of support for me. I have always felt like I have been treated differently by family members. I feel like half of a person after being around most of my family members. Has anyone else experienced exclusion by family members and if so how have you dealt with it? I have pretty much decided that it's not worth my time pursuing one sided relationships in which the other person has no interest in me as a person. At the same time I feel a sense of loss and emptiness.

Swan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2010, 11:05 am

autisticstar, Save for one or two, I know EXACTLY how you feel.

AshtonWA
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jul 2010, 2:27 pm

Hi, I'm 42 and recently diagnosed with Aspergers. As a kid, I either self excluded or was excluded by a parent or sibling due to my tantrums and inability to play nicely (I had to win or else everyone around me suffered,; I still have issues with this and usually avoid games at all costs).

Most of the time, my mother would choose to leave me home because it was easier for her to not have to deal with me than to take me along and have to deal with my outbursts, or whatever was my issue. Many times, however, I would choose to NOT go on outings to avoid any confrontations with my mother. I also had issues with crowds and noise, but we were raised around large crowds due to our religion, so I had to deal with them and deal with the noise and the hectic aspect of being around people. Also, my grandparents owned a large restaurant, so I was around people there too, but would often go off and find myself a quiet spot to just be alone. I remember, I would think about the most secluded spot in the restaurant and just daydream about being in that spot all day by myself, but when I would be alone, I would get panicky and seek out someone to be around, or at least near.

I never knew why I did ANY of the things I did, or why I was the way I was, I was just labeled lazy, not smart enough, not able to do anything, always in trouble for something, and was spanked until I was 17 years old, of which never worked on me, but because of our religion, the spankings would continue as the main form of discipline. Other forms of discipline were keeping me in my bedroom all day or even longer, lots of seclusion. I had separation anxiety and other forms of anxiety that NO ONE knew about, which was odd because I didn't play well with anyone, but wanted to be around people, and NEVER liked that alone feeling, but sometimes, alone was better than the arguing.

I have two sons who are both Autistic (5 and 16), both just recently diagnosed as well. I see my 5 year old secluding himself, and I feel guilty when I do it and he's off doing his own thing, as does my oldest. So lots of seclusion either because my son is hard to deal with as well (5 yo), same symptoms as I had all my life, or because I forget to not self seclude. It's not easy being a parent who has Aspergers and try to remember to DO things with your family and not go into my own little world in my brain. I tell my hubby all the time, that I can be in a crowded room and still feel completely alone. Been that way my whole life, and never understood why.

Ashton from WA

Angel_ryan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 2:59 pm

I've had to deal with this all my life too. I've always secluded myself from my family or been excluded and lost in my own little world. When I finally got the DX at 20 I was able to understand why, but I feel so much bitterness towards my family because they still make no effort to understand me or my childhood and what I went through. So I feel as though later in life I will most likely exclude them out of mutual disrespect. Now if they ever take the time to listen to me and not ridicule me for my autistic behaviors then I might change my mind but so far it doesn't look that way, in my case. Only my close friends have been supportive. I'm also afraid to have children because I don't want them to deal with my family or my autism.