Page 14 of 28 [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 28  Next

Malus_Domestica
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Nov 2015, 2:28 am

I changed my mind pretty often about what I wanted to be, but I do remember wanting to be an archaeologist for a long time. I also wanted to be a vet, a teacher, a spy, a journalist, a chef (that didn't last long) and an artist. I bought a toy microscope when I was about 11 and wanted to be a scientist.

I ended up studying art and art history, writing my dissertation on rock art and cave paintings.

And now I'm an apple farmer! Go figure.

Beats my brother, anyway, who wanted to be a tractor.

SciFiCoyote
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2015, 6:36 pm

An alligator.

I was really pissed when I found out that wasn't actually possible.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 7:25 pm

I wanted to be:

- an astronaut
- a veterinarian
- a writer
- a documentary maker
- a scientist

All of these at the same time.

MissKayteeN
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Nov 2015, 7:32 am

Peggy Guggenheim.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 8:45 am

An adult LOL

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2015, 2:49 am

SilverProteus wrote:
I wanted to be:

- an astronaut
- a veterinarian
- a writer
- a documentary maker
- a scientist

All of these at the same time.

a scientist who writes documentaries about operating on cosmic creatures?

a writer who writes using a variation on the scientific method thought up while operating on an ape after watching a documentary on it in space?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Dave Lister
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Nov 2015, 3:00 pm

Palaeontologist, until i heard there were exactly 8 paid jobs in that field in the country where i live. The alternative was biology-teacher but teaching just doesn't appeal to me. Later i did take it up as a hobby and spent 10 years building a small natural history museum (display cases, texts, collection pieces etc.). From a gift of about 800 books i made a library, complete with my own system. I didn't really get along with those in charge though (possibly because they could have been my grandparents and had very outdated ideas) so that we constantly argued and i gave it up because that really spoilt things for me. It's a very small group in Belgium, so out of spite they went round at the next national fossil fair and ruined my good name so that i couldn't join any other club. Nothing i could do about it really, i watched them go round spreading lies about me and i watched peoples' exressions alter. Years later, when i thought about taking the hobby up again (i still had about 3,5k species lying about + overstocks per site, books, conservation mats, extraction gear etc.), i was flat out refused membership of a club but this guy wouldn't even tell me why. Eventually i moved on and gifted the entire lot anonymously to an association on the sole condition that they wouldn't sell it for profit (i helped write the deontological code for amateur-collectors that is used internationally today). The University of Ghent received part of it and the rest was divided among the members. There was an official ceremony and it made the regional news, but i decided to remain anonymous because it should be about the collection, not about me, notwithstanding that i had spent 15 odd years and a lot of cash i made from odd jobs building it up. My family were furious that i didn't sell the lot and give the money to them if i didn't want it myself. They never understood my reasoning and they never will, but that is not the issue. Ultimately it's about being the bigger person and doing what's right regardless of what it costs you. The only regret i have is that i lost my 2 best friends through that whole mess. Guess they weren't completely on my side either. In short : TIL : when life hands you rocks, choose again.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 1:28 am

^ that sounds awesome (and a bit frustrating).

probably a big question i have is, where on earth did you get that gift of 800 books. a gift from heaven it sounds like.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Dave Lister
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2015, 11:41 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
^ that sounds awesome (and a bit frustrating).

probably a big question i have is, where on earth did you get that gift of 800 books. a gift from heaven it sounds like.

It was a legate from an old member . He left his fossils to science, but our organisation received all his books as found in boxes all over his house. In a nutshell : he put our museum in his will.

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2015, 12:50 pm

Veterinarian
Heavy Equipment Operator
Psychologist
Scientist

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 6:00 pm

I wanted to be:

Ballet dancer
Great pianist
Architect
Archaeologist
Artist
Dentist
vet
actor

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 12:31 am

A weatherman

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 6:29 am

In primary school I wanted to have a little secluded barn with chickens and food in my garden to have something to eat.

I also was temporarily interested in becoming a beekeeper.

Jaloria
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Dec 2015, 8:46 am

First I wanted to be a historical legand ,then I wanted to travel the world on horseback with a kitten ,and then a consumers advocate like Erin brokavich , an now an experimental psychologist. Don't ask why ,that's just how the list came into being as I grew up.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2015, 8:54 am

A pilot

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2015, 9:02 pm

I wanted to be an Inventor.