Page 14 of 18 [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 3:17 am

Quote:
This is why i wear special road-glasses which reduce the effects of such lights; which has the side effect of me being afraid to drive a car that isn't mine (since those glasses won't be in there.

I would definitely appreciate some of those if you could get them in prescription lenses.
Makes you wonder about these LED lights. Used to be you could be booked for turning high beams on in a populated area / where there were streetlights because it was too bright for oncoming traffic and could actually cause accidents. These new LEDs, especially on 4WDs that lean into the blue spectrum and have several pairs of lights, are just as bright as high beams and up much higher so as to get drivers directly in the eyes. When are they going to cut off the lights as too bright to be safe?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 5:42 am

The only trouble I have with driving is not having a car to drive.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2016, 3:40 pm

Raleigh wrote:
The only trouble I have with driving is not having a car to drive.

if you don't mind, what happened to the car?

MadFialka
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2016, 11:48 am

I actually enjoy driving, mostly. I find it calming, and I like how focused it is. A few caveats though:

I MUST have music playing. As in music I like. Absolutely cannot drive without it. I will put off any errand, any task that involves going out and getting things done... But that time my CD player broke in my car I drove straight to Best Buy and had them install a new one, despite being dirt poor at the time.

I have to know where I'm going. I'm terrible with direction and getting lost is one of my worst fears. Thank human innovation for GPS, but there are few horrors equivalent to the phrase 'signal lost.' And what's with people giving directions based on landmarks, even when you insist you just want an address?

I don't like passengers. Kids are okay, because they don't know how to drive so their opinions mean nothing, but an adult in that passenger seat judging my driving (and I can't help but feel like they are) will make me super anxious. To the point where I start making stupid mistakes. Which of course means they're obviously judging my awful driving skills... rinse and repeat. Ugh. I'm getting worked up right now just thinking about it :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 3:44 pm

^^^hiya Mad :) welcome to our club 8)

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 1:03 am

i have trouble even bringing the correct documents to the DMV to re-register for a permit, apparently. :oops:

thank goodness for being open tomorrow morning. this year seems to be much better for appointments, compared to last.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 1:08 am

keep your eyes on the prize and let nothing distract you from that.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 5:24 pm

Drive...jump in shark infested water.... jump in lion exhibit. All are equally appealing.

I was never thrilled to drive even though I had a specialty license at age 15. It was a task... a chore
I normally choose very large vehicles.

I became worse after head injury from a major car wreck. (freeway hit from behind so hard they moved the van body off the frame ... guess how that affected seat belts with bolt through frame.... aftermath: Head injury, compressed ribs, whiplash, brain damage, and PTSD for me who was already sick and being taken home. Driver(mom ) pancreas crushed, organs detached and spilled to bottom of body cavity, breast damage, broken back. So I went from unthrilled to nervous wreck.

I was, ironically, a professional driver and held a CDL for 8 years.. I've not been faulted in an accident.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 12:49 am

auntblabby wrote:

passed. :cheers:

will have the behind wheel test later this month.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 1:18 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

passed. :cheers:

will have the behind wheel test later this month.

YAY :bounce: which scares you more, the written or driving part?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 1:37 am

the part i keep failing.

i worry i will focus foo much on the area i failed in on my previous test, and as a result, let an error in another area slip by.

like whack a mole. there's not enough attention in me to cover everything.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 1:39 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
the part i keep failing. i worry i will focus foo much on the area i failed in on my previous test, and as a result, let an error in another area slip by. like whack a mole. there's not enough attention in me to cover everything.

if you keep whacking those moles you will eventually get 'em all whacked and you will pass. fortitude. still no substitute for practice. and more practice. gotta practice until it comes out your ears.

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

17 Jun 2016, 12:18 pm

No, i can drive perfectly fine. I have some trouble at gauging distances sometimes but i am careful (or was). My biggest problem is getting lost when i leave my home area wich i used to do quite alot. Without GPS i would be in BIG trouble. Otherwise its fine. In fact i really strongly like driving, it calms me down and when there is no traffic it is really relaxing for me. My little safe haven rolling on 17" :) I love to see the world, to travel, but on my own terms.

One thing though, i cannot drive without music. It is just as important for me as the gas in the tank is for the engine, without it nothing moves. And unlike most other aspects of my life, i like my music loud. Sometimes people driving with me complain about it but i tell them if they dont like it i have no problem stopping so they can walk if they want. My car, my rules. But i rarely ever have passengers so whatever. I refuse to drive a car that has no stereo in it, or when i absolutely have to, i wear headphones and listen to music from my phone.

Losing my drivers license is part of the reason why i am as depressed now as i am. I made a dumb mistake under the stress of my job (delivery driver) and now it feels like they took my freedom away. I cannot travel by bus or train frequently. Too many people there, too crowded, too loud. Often there are drunk people, or sport fanclubs, people sitting next to me touching at the legs. I just cannot do it. My car is my own bubble wich i can manouver through this world to anyplace i want to see. With it missing, part of me is missing too...

Peace
TK

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2016, 1:00 pm

I actually love driving. It makes me feel independent and in control. But on the other hand that's often bad for me, too. When I'm in control half the time I don't know what I'm doing. I'm very distracted when driving, and when I tell myself to focus, I tend to hyperfocus instead, leading to me missing a lot of driving cues and objects. I've nearly run over people on crosswalks twice because I didn't see them--too focused on how fast I was going. It's very hard for me to shift from one mental box to another, so I can't do any more than a couple things at the same time.

Even during my driving test at 17, my tester told me to turn left, and I turned right because I was distracted by all the scenic houses in the subdivision... (Thankfully she still let me pass. She just let me go with a "Since I've never had a student do that before, we won't grade it.")

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

17 Jun 2016, 2:44 pm

Haha i know that one. On one of my failed practical tests starting from our vehicle department you're only allowed to go right. There is a sign indicating it literally directly infront of you. I have been there at least a dozen times, but i was so distracted by getting all my control inputs right that i completely forgot about it and asked the tutor if i should go left or right :D

Peace
TK

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 4:12 pm

^^^how soon can you retest?