Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

XRaac
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2011, 7:46 pm

How many over 18 yr old aspies here live by themselves and how many live with parents/family? I am over 18 and used to live by myself and did so for 3 yrs. In the end things got a little difficult and decided to live with parents again. But I would love to be able to live on my own again. It is quite good. =)

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 7:50 pm

I live reasonably successfully on my own, and have been since I was 19 (that makes it 8 years of independence now).

I have problems with grocery shopping (sensory issues) and picking up after myself (executive dysfunction maybe?), but I manage to pay bills on time and generally have food on the table, even if it is doritos for dinner some nights.

I'm on disability, though. At least for now, while I'm going to school. Hopefully eventually I'll be ready to enter the workforce again.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

XRaac
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Oct 2011, 8:02 pm

Wow you live in Ontario too. Me too. And I receive disability from government as well. I'm pretty sure you know how much money they assign for shelter and how much for food. I have a subsidized housing apartment, even though it is in an extremely unsafe neighborhood, so no problems with shelter money but I don't think the alloted money for food is enough for me currently as I don't think I would be able to cook for myself for sometime. That is where I am stuck.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Oct 2011, 8:04 pm

I'm 20 and live with my mom. I attend college full time and can't afford to live on my own.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 8:15 pm

I'm almost 21 and I live with my parents. I'm also on disability, but I don't get paid nearly enough to live on my own. Besides, I doubt that I am high-functioning enough to live independently. When my parents are close to death, then I will move into an assisted living facility.

layla87
Toucan
Toucan

21 Oct 2011, 8:17 pm

23, lived on my own for over a year without problems in terms of paying rent, grocery shopping, and other stuff like that.

Moved back in though after needing to be around family, because although I could take care of myself the loneliness of being isolated socially and not being able to go out like everyone else still got to me a lot.

I'm living at home right now, attending school and working part time. Once I get better at socializing I know I will be able to move out and starting living independantly again

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 8:27 pm

I live with my mother and don't know how I could live on my own since I don't know how to find and keep a job.

MissGuidedAngel
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Oct 2011, 8:36 pm

I'm 21 and I've lived on my own since I was 17, I've had some hard times paying the bills and such, mainly because I couldn't keep a job and such. But since I was only just diagnosed officially this week. I've never been on disability. I didn't even know it was an options for us Aspies.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 8:40 pm

from 18 - 40, i lived on my own. from 40 - 52, i lived with my parents. from 52 to present (55), i live with my husband.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 9:05 pm

in my 40's and my mother lives with me.

DeeDee17
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Oct 2011, 9:24 pm

I'm 26 and I live on my own. I moved out when I was 22.
I will never again go back to living with others. I found it so stressful having a house full of people! I absolutely love having space where I can be completely alone. Since moving out my anxiety levels have gone way down (they're still probably pretty high, but now they're manageable).

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 9:47 pm

I'm 42. Went away to college, but ended up back living with my parents afterwards.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 10:17 pm

23, living with parents currently...not because I enjoy it or want to stay there, but because of the lack of funds to live on my own.

I lived in college/uni residences for two years, and for two more years I lived in a shared house with seven other roommates. The first year I lived there, the people were nice and we all got along fabulously, but during the second year, they moved to other houses and were replaced with absolutely snotty and horrible roommates. I also had an apartment for half a year near the school I am attending now, but unfortunately wasn't getting paid enough to make rent each month.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Last edited by anneurysm on 22 Oct 2011, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 11:31 pm

I lived on my own since I was nearly 20. I received disability. Then I lived with my ex and then aunt and uncle and now with my husband.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2011, 11:49 pm

I'm 22 and I live with my mom and her boyfriend because I can't afford to move out......and I hate it a lot, I think I would rather die then spend too much longer living there.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2011, 12:01 am

moved from General Autism Discussion to In-Depth Adult Life Discussion