Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2017, 7:27 pm

Does anyone who is on the autism spectrum deal with procrastination? I deal with it on a daily basis. Whenever there is something that I have to do and don't want to do it, I put it off and deal with it at the last minute. When I'm doing an undesired task, I tend to take a long break before I've completed it. I have had this problem for a long time. Whenever I have to study for a test or do homework, I usually wait until the last minute to do it and I everything feels crammed. I know this is not a good habit, but whenever there is something that I don't want to do, it is hard to motivate myself to do that undesired task.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 2:33 am

I am a lifelong procrastinator.

On a possibly related topic Pathological Demand Avoidence is considered by many to be a Autistic behavoir profile

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2017, 7:18 pm

Yes, I procrastinate a lot, too. People probably think it's an easily overcome issue for students, but I find it indirectly brings on the worst kind of stress that can trigger other things, like depression. Woe betide if you already have it! It's made doubly hard by the fact my sleep is very messed up and for some terrible reason, I really do my best brain work in the morning as opposed to the afternoons/evenings.
As well as an 'avoidance' mentality brought on by anxiety, I consider procrastination to have links to poor concentration from physical tiredness.