Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 12:52 am

Silly question, but did you take the quiz?
http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

bk
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2018, 6:23 pm

Starkid, thank you
There is no way I will be able to take the trip up to Berkeley (for many reasons), BUT your idea of looking into a university is great and I will keep it in mind for sure.

Mudboy, thank you
Yes I have:
"Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 155 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 54 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)"

bk
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2018, 6:29 pm

BeaArthur, Thank you

To be fair to the Regional Center staff, my case worker texted me to see if I got what they mailed.
I just replied, "Thank you for your time," because I was still letting the news soak in.
I know she is there if I want to call and discuss it.
The paperwork they sent also outline an appeal process, which I don't feel like getting into at this time.

bk
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2018, 10:10 am

RE: My list of Aspie/ASD/Anxiety/Brain/Assorted Self Help books ("shelf" on my Goodreads account)

I think one can view this "shelf" as a member of Goodreads.
I can't see a setting to make it public without making my profile and all shelves public (as in: visible to search engines).

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/7 ... books-read

rift42
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2018, 12:08 pm

Thanks, I can look at it now. Previously I don't think it let me see it even when I was logged in.

Homebrand
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2018, 9:34 am

Oh I can relate so much to this post.
I am very convinced that fit right into an ASD diagnosis, but as I've gotten older I have gotten better at blending in socially. In fact I feel so much like a chameleon around different social groups that I will soon miss the real me and just need to be alone.
Lately I would much prefer to be in the company of nobody other then myself because I can freely express all my quirks without all the anxiety and judgement that comes from acting natural in public. It kinda sad to think of how long ago I learn to suppress my true self but seeing myself as ASD has started to give me my freedom back to act how I want (at least when I'm alone).

I can also relate to having difficulties trying to get your parents on board. I only have a single mother and she is so narcissistic she has just changed the subject when I've tried to bring up this stuff. I literally just made contact with her for the purpose of getting her help with that particular part of diagnosis. It wasn't long before I realised it was a waste of my time and again not worth having her in my life. All I have to go on are some things I can remember her telling me about how I was as a child. She has always said I lacked empathy despite me knowing I can feel it. She says I didn't like to be hugged or affectionate and I can vaguely remember that and she once took me to get my hearing checked because I wasn't responding to her. I also had a lot of behavioural issues at home and in school, but this could be put down to my ADHD. Come to think of it the fact she still deny's I have ADHD is saying something. To be honest it s**ts me her overall lack of concern considering all the issues I had as a child and still have to a degree.

Anyway good on you for putting yourself out there and trying to get help and acknowledgement. I really want to bring it up with my psychiatrist but I have been laughed at in the past by an old gp and even my partner doesn't take me seriously. With my partner though I just figure it is half about his own vanity and the other half his lack of knowledge and/or desire to become knowledgeable.
So in saying that I can see how you would feel hurt from people disagreeing with you. In my opinion, by the time we become adults, we have learnt what parts of ourselves need to be hiding and have acquired enough social skills to pass as simply a mentally unwell human.

Maybe for now you could work on addressing the depression and social anxiety and see how many autism traits still exist after that for your evidence. Or maybe you need to see another professional altogether. I really feel like I get where your at. I feel so confused myself. I don't feel like I want to even self diagnose because for my personally that doesn't feel good enough, but then I am so scared to start on this path where I don't even have a single family member or friend on my side.

However things workout for you I hope you can find answers and some peace.