Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 2:09 pm

Hi:
I am 37 years old and I am looking to learn how to drive because of a few reasons
1. My career
2. I am ready to have my own space

Most of my life, people have really steered me away from driving by
1. Talking about how expensive/hard/dangerous it is
2.They have talked about how concerned they are about how I would handle things like seeing an accident in front of me.
3. Others have talked about road rage

My aunt told me to wait until I was at least 30, that it's better to wait because my brain is mature

Anyway, I am looking for some good information from Autistics/Aspies on the best ways who drive and who helped you.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 2:28 pm

Learn about manual gearboxes unless you plan to go straight to an electric car or if you absolutely NEED an automatic. Manuals are more reliable, they save gas & they give you more control. Plus they're cheaper & a lot of people find their driving is more like a fun game when they shift gears themselves.

I'd recommend looking through YouTube tutorials for manual driving. A lot of Mini owners made good how-tos. This way you can get into the actual "vroom vroom" fun parts of driving instead of deferring to those with little faith in your abilities.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 3:19 pm

cberg wrote:
Learn about manual gearboxes unless you plan to go straight to an electric car or if you absolutely NEED an automatic. Manuals are more reliable, they save gas & they give you more control. Plus they're cheaper & a lot of people find their driving is more like a fun game when they shift gears themselves.

I'd recommend looking through YouTube tutorials for manual driving. A lot of Mini owners made good how-tos. This way you can get into the actual "vroom vroom" fun parts of driving instead of deferring to those with little faith in your abilities.

Ok

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 3:22 pm

Kudos!! Most Americans today ignore that advice in search of a car that let's them use an iPhone while driving.

I hope you find a good sporty machine.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 3:47 pm

I learned to drive at the age of 16 by taking driver's education class at school. In many countries, they have driver's training classes for adults. So I would begin there. I have probably put a million miles on the road at this point in my life. One rule that is critical is "Always leave a distance of one car length (15 feet) between you and the car in front of you for every 10 miles per hour of speed you are traveling." So if you are going 60 mph that is 6 car lengths. This generally allows you sufficient time to react to avoid accidents. It is best to learn to drive beginning on country roads with minimal traffic and then move onto more crowded roadways. Learn to drive defensively. Be aware of not only the traffic in front of you but also on your sides and behind you. Don't try talking on cellphones or texting while you drive. Try to keep both hands on the steering wheel most of the time. Generally speaking driving an automatic is simpler than driving a stick. Make sure you have auto insurance and a valid driver's license with you when you drive. If you have an accident don't panic, instead exchange insurance information with the other person. You are only responsible for your driving not the driving of other people on the roadway.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 3:54 pm

Well driving an automatic is simpler until it breaks, which can cost thousands. If you get one, gear oil flushes are a must. Manuals are generally considered the best way of learning car control; Nordic countries make everyone hydroplane one around a stuffed moose before handing out licenses.

If you buy an automatic, be mindful of the tradeoffs. Manuals are safer on snow, ice or wet roads because engine braking an automatic car won't stop you as easily. I drive a lot in mountains & in blizzards, if I had an automatic I would have smashed it up ages ago.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 3:58 pm

To be clear, I'm recommending something like this:
Rather than this:

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 4:09 pm

Manual transmission vehicles are great. I learned to drive on them and owned a few different ones for years. I prefer them over automatics. The problem is you can't find them in new or newer vehicles any longer in All Wheel Drive AWD or Four Wheel Drive 4x4. Either is a requirement for where I live where we can have snow and icy road conditions 6-7 months of the year.

Small front wheel drive cars or rear wheel drive vehicles can be useless where I live even with true snow tires.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 4:13 pm

Manual AWDs or 4x4s are usually either sports cars or lighter trucks.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 4:19 pm

cberg wrote:
Manual AWDs or 4x4s are usually either sports cars or lighter trucks.

I don't think you can even get a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 in manual transmission any longer. That's the vehicle I own now, but it's unfortunately automatic transmission. I needed the extended cab so it could accommodate family in a pinch. Subaru used to make manual transmission Outbacks and Foresters. No longer.

In the mid 2000s, I owned a "Java Black" Subaru Forester in manual transmission and it was one of the best cars I've ever owned. We had to sell it, regrettably because our family outgrew it.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 8:43 pm

I could teach you how to drive like a maniac, but I think you might not be interested.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:27 pm

Ignore what these guys are telling you about a manual transmission being better than an automatic. They have a typically male perspective. As a woman, I disagree with what they are saying. As an autistic person, I want the fewest demands on my brain. As a person with a chronic pain condition, I want as little demand on my body as possible, and an automatic wins there, too.

It will be hard enough for you to learn how to drive without that extra complexity. If after you are routinely driving your automatic, you want to then learn to drive a manual, go for it. But right now, take the easier approach.

Don't be discouraged by what people have told you about road rage, accidents, and the like. Take a class at an adult driver education place. Ask a friend to let you practice drive with them (in their car).

Best of luck. I think you can do this.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:32 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Ignore what these guys are telling you about a manual transmission being better than an automatic. They have a typically male perspective. As a woman, I disagree with what they are saying. As an autistic person, I want the fewest demands on my brain. As a person with a chronic pain condition, I want as little demand on my body as possible, and an automatic wins there, too.

It will be hard enough for you to learn how to drive without that extra complexity. If after you are routinely driving your automatic, you want to then learn to drive a manual, go for it. But right now, take the easier approach.

Don't be discouraged by what people have told you about road rage, accidents, and the like. Take a class at an adult driver education place. Ask a friend to let you practice drive with them (in their car).

Best of luck. I think you can do this.

My wife is NT, but I taught her to drive a manual transmission in a full sized pickup truck when we were dating. We went to a large vacant parking lot to start. I don't know that I was a good teacher, but she took to it very quickly and she also preferred a manual transmission after that.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 2:12 am

Another option is the CVT or continuously variable transmission. Even better gas mileage than a manual transmission and good acceleration at low speeds. I don't drive much, only a few thousand miles a year, so I don't have to worry about it wearing out at 100k miles.

An important part of driving is being able to look way down the road and guessing what traffic will be like before you get there. Sometimes you can spot problems and plan a better course of action to better deal with the situation at hand.

As well as being able to interact with other drivers, knowing who will go first when you meet an intersection without working traffic lights.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 9:49 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Ignore what these guys are telling you about a manual transmission being better than an automatic. They have a typically male perspective. As a woman, I disagree with what they are saying.

Well this is sexist nonsense. Mechanical facts do not apply based on one's gender. Automatics are way more complex than manuals, it's in the names. Easier doesn't always mean safer.

Last edited by cberg on 31 Jan 2019, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 9:51 am

BTDT wrote:
Another option is the CVT or continuously variable transmission. Even better gas mileage than a manual transmission and good acceleration at low speeds. I don't drive much, only a few thousand miles a year, so I don't have to worry about it wearing out at 100k miles.

An important part of driving is being able to look way down the road and guessing what traffic will be like before you get there. Sometimes you can spot problems and plan a better course of action to better deal with the situation at hand.

As well as being able to interact with other drivers, knowing who will go first when you meet an intersection without working traffic lights.

These can be nice but make sure you like how one responds on the test drive, some are maddeningly slow because their programming keeps engine RPM to a minimum.