I'm going to research alexithymia - what would people like?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CathyKn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2024, 12:25 pm

I'm autistic and have dyscalculia. I'm planning research on alexithymia which is difficulty identifying or expressing emotions. I'm interested in neurodiverse people who have these difficulties and how it affects them, or how they manage.

However, I would like to know what other people would like to know about alexithymia.

Here are my parameters:
I'm dyscalculic so any research has to be qualitative and cant involve lots of numbers or statistical analysis.
I'm a counsellor and mentor so the areas I'm best qualified to look at are relationships, wellbeing, learning strategies, how we manage our own internal sensitivities, how we can learn what other people are feeling, how we 'are' in the world.
I also dont have years to do the research, only a few months.

If anyone has any interests about this topic, any specific questions about alexithymia they would like researched (like, how do we know what other people are feeling), or if there was an area where they thought there wasn't enough research or information, I am happy to change my question before I start planning the work. I cannot guarantee to take on the question, as it might be too complicated, but I thought I would ask.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 May 2024, 5:21 pm

You mentioned being a counsellor & I think it might be potentially helpfull if there was more research about how alexithymia could affect various relationships or relationships in general.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CathyKn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2024, 9:59 pm

That sounds good, it's one of the areas I work with people on.
I might post extra questions about aspects of relationships, if no-one else posts suggestions, to close in on a really narrow question for the research.
I'm going on to PhD after this, so this research will probably then lead to the next, bigger project.
Thank you.
I really like this idea.

I'll also keep people up to date with what I'm doing, if interested.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2024, 10:01 pm

Alexithymia and Selective Mutism
Alexithymia and PTSD
Alexithymia and Aphantasia
Alexithymia and Interoception
Alexithymia and Self-Harm / Suicide

CathyKn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 May 2024, 3:19 am

That's really helpful, especially interoception.
I'm going to keep checking in.
Thank you

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 9:08 pm

The difference between allistics (not necessarily NT, but can be) with alexithymia from autistics with alexithymia and how much that mattered.

What's the difference between alexithymics who are external inclined, logical, rational thinkers and is likely stoic (over-regulated) from those who aren't (Might be emotionally expressive and easily dysregulated yet unaware/cannot tell much of said emotionality) regardless of being in the spectrum or not.
Or if the latter type exists at all.

Alexithymia and anything to do with emotional regulation and emotional processing in conjunction or relative to their interoception.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2024, 9:11 pm

Alexithymia and dissociation or Alexithymia without dissociation could be potentially very interesting.