Page 10 of 13 [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

dwh
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Apr 2010, 6:59 am

eb31 wrote:
I have two children. I used to have stepkids also. I have trouble with the noise and constant touching of babies/toddlers but the issues fade as they get older.

I'm gonig through this right now with my kids; they are three years old and while they are generally well behaved, there is a lot of screaming when they are tired or cranky. It really gets to me and I end up shouting back at them. I try to control that and to let my wife take over when they are getting to me, but it doesn't always happen and it can be a bad situation for me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2010, 5:30 pm

I see absolutely no reason why Aspies shouldn't have kids. My wife and I have a beautiful four year old girl, and no one can tell me we shouldn't have had her just because of my Asperger's. Because she is herself autistic, she has had her meltdowns in public, but nothing we can't handle. There have been NT's who have raised question not only about her, but also about our parenting. But that's their problem, not ours.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

jedi74
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2010, 7:30 am

we have 2 boys, one has moderate to severe autism. im self-dx aspie, my wife claims to be NT :)

if you can see a geneticist they can tell you the % chance of you and spouse having a child with an asd based on probability. We did this when we where considering a third child and it took AGES to get in to see them. After much blood testing etc and discussion the chances where in the 10-15% range and i was the lucky recipient of a vascectomy shortly afterwards.

having said all that i wouldnt change anything

JazzofLife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2010, 3:22 pm

Never been a parent in any way, shape, or form. Saw it as more from economic reasons than anything else. Average child in the USA costs at least $200,000 from the time of birth to graduating from college. I could use that money in other ways and not have a child. Sorry if it sounds like a cold answer (as if I don't care).

Dx'd with AS and AD/HD Combined in 2007

Interests: Music, great outdoors (beach/mountains), cooking/baking, philosophy, arts/sciences, reading, writing, sports, spirituality, Green, sus

luvntiedye
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2010, 6:07 am

Not cold, Jazz, just smart. To your point I add the fact that it is absolutely thankless much of the time.

Deathklaat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2010, 3:30 am

I do want children someday. Maybe it's because I want to carry on my legacy but I don't want to...corrupt my family tree. If I ever do get married, I hope it will be to an NT, because I think that might decrease the chance that my children will have AS. I don't think I would be able to take it if my children had Aspergers or Autism. I just don't think I could handle that, knowing what kind of future lay ahead for that child. I don't want a child to have to go through that. But at the same time, I think I'd make a decent dad.

Xinro
Raven
Raven

12 May 2010, 10:25 am

I never want children and wish to have a tubal ligation as soon as I'm old enough. I find the physical aspect of pregnancy disgusting (a parasite living inside of my body for nine months), don't really like children, believe my genes aren't all that special, and have very low maternal instinct (I watch my friend's child, who is four months old, on occasion, and never can really tell why she's crying or anything).

Above all, I don't feel it's right for me to risk having a child since I have AS. I wouldn't condemn others for doing so, that's their decision, but I feel that my suffering as a child and my problems are reason enough to not risk a child having to suffer with that again. If I had a kid with autism or AS, I don't think I would be able to forgive myself for putting those problems on them. It has made my life difficult enough, why would I risk making another life hard?

JazzofLife
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2010, 10:41 pm

Xinro wrote:
I never want children and wish to have a tubal ligation as soon as I'm old enough. I find the physical aspect of pregnancy disgusting (a parasite living inside of my body for nine months), don't really like children, believe my genes aren't all that special, and have very low maternal instinct (I watch my friend's child, who is four months old, on occasion, and never can really tell why she's crying or anything).

Above all, I don't feel it's right for me to risk having a child since I have AS. I wouldn't condemn others for doing so, that's their decision, but I feel that my suffering as a child and my problems are reason enough to not risk a child having to suffer with that again. If I had a kid with autism or AS, I don't think I would be able to forgive myself for putting those problems on them. It has made my life difficult enough, why would I risk making another life hard?

At first, my reasons were economic over the course of a long time. Then, it became as you described. I couldn't put a kid through what I've been through.. absolutely, no way. I respect people who choose to do that, but it's not for me.

I happen to think that my life is great enough as it is :)

Dx'd with AS and AD/HD Combined in 2007

Interests: Music, great outdoors (beach/mountains), cooking/baking, philosophy, arts/sciences, reading, writing, sports, spirituality, Green, sus

Xule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2010, 4:57 am

Anyone could have an Autistic kid. If you really want some, I don't think this should hold you back.
Personally, when I think about the possibility of producing an Autist, I am a little put off. But when I think about it, who's more suited to raise an Autist than another Autist? Surely we could relate to an Autistic child far more easily than an NT parent?

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2010, 4:21 am

Xule wrote:
Anyone could have an Autistic kid. If you really want some, I don't think this should hold you back.
Personally, when I think about the possibility of producing an Autist, I am a little put off. But when I think about it, who's more suited to raise an Autist than another Autist? Surely we could relate to an Autistic child far more easily than an NT parent?

Sound reasoning.

I still feel ok about missing the kiddie train, weird wee critters that they are.

peace j

ringofedwin
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2010, 12:55 pm

Space wrote:
I don't want to have kids, but it has nothing to do with the chance of them having AS or Autism. Also, NT parents can have kids with AS or Autism, so that alone is not a valid reason why someone should not have kids IMO.

may i ask what is IMO

Dellingr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2010, 8:00 am

IMO means In My Opinion

as to my take: I don't want to have children. I doubt I'll ever feel financially secure enough. I have deep issues with.... ickiness... I don't think my particular gene set needs passing on, it's given me a lot of good stuff but there's a lot of health problems as well as the AS in there.

that said, if my sister (who isn't a genetic relation) ever has children, I'll be extremely happy to be the irresponsible but very cool uncle that lets them drink lots of coke and stay up to watch Star Trek/Earth: Final Conflict/(awesome sci-fi show of the future that's on at later than normal bedtime) and buys them cool presents rather than the educational stuff their parents give them. :D Just like I had such people in my life when I was little.

plus, y'know, uncles and aunties don't generally have to deal with them when they're being bratty :P

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2010, 11:31 pm

there are sort of two different points here; whether one should pass on one' genes, and whether one should raise a child. in my particular case, given how tough it's been with my lack of social skills despite various advantages, i can't really see passing on my genes as a good thing. as for raising a child, while it's something i'd love to do, i'd be rather clueless on raising an NT child, as for an NT teenager, let's not go there. so i feel the only option that would be fair on anyone is adopting an aspie kid - i'd have some clue as to how to help (my parents, with the best intentions, made things worse). in practice, i'll never be allowed to adopt, oh well.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

Nostromos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Jun 2010, 12:26 am

I've never been very interested in having kids. My parents were loving and encouraged my artistic and musical interests, which were different from theirs, but I think childhood would have been much easier if they'd recognized my lack of interest in other people, and then drilled a social obsession into me without being too abusive. But how could they? They have some traits, but were successful enough that they weren't too curious about them. They were also working a lot and minding my bipolar sister.

I wonder sometimes what it would be like, but I don't want a kid of mine to grow up with my problems.

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 8:56 pm

JazzofLife wrote:
Never been a parent in any way, shape, or form. Saw it as more from economic reasons than anything else. Average child in the USA costs at least $200,000 from the time of birth to graduating from college. I could use that money in other ways and not have a child. Sorry if it sounds like a cold answer (as if I don't care).

I have 2 kids and they are worth every dollar of it.

Seeing how self-centered you are, it is better off you don't have kids.

alone
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jun 2010, 11:11 am

I can't even babysit, I loose um. I'm not even afraid when they do run off, oh they'llll come back. The tiny tiny ones do baffle me..just sitting there and moving their legs

:lol: