Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 11:48 pm

I can not help but wonder why others continue to judge us and so often get it wrong, there has to be others answers.... because those that do not specialize in autism, often do not have a cue, but seem to think they have aright to control, change us....

The way I see it: Apart from being on the autism spectrum I have many co morbid / associated conditions… in fact a whole list, not sure anyone has it right, including me. Often our labels can get over complicated... and near impossible to know which bit is which, with many overlaps, but any label does not change who we are. I have my own simplified version - The center as I see it, is us - the Autism heart, differently minded part... which to an extent feel many NTs just do not quite get or understand. So often the most important thing the centre, gets neglected, so its no wonder we are often a little off balance.

Surrounding the center are a web with many chaotic paths, often disjointed and ineffective, as these neurological associated conditions, co morbid mental disorders (or misunderstood difference), environmental factors are all blamed and continue to circle around the most important part of us. I feel it's time other started with the centre - the Autism Heart, forget the labels. Because if our hearts were balanced and allowed, as I see it. A lot of these existing links in the web, may start to fade... I feel many of the labels are often caused by others misinterpretation, dealing with small aspects of the whole person, often neglecting or not understanding our centers from when we are born.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 11:53 pm

Problly is also bipolor with obcessive compulssive disorder as well as having terrible meemory to boot.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 6:00 am

My boss's boss keeps tryin' to get me to go to staff development seminars like "Non-verbal communication." The thing is, I already know this stuff. I just have difficulty applying it.

Who is Problly? :wink:

- Emerson

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 6:22 am

MrMark wrote:
My boss's boss keeps tryin' to get me to go to staff development seminars like "Non-verbal communication." The thing is, I already know this stuff. I just have difficulty applying it.

I have to wonder who would you be applying it for.... most of us have had to act a part in this world trying to fit in, then we discover we are on the autism spectrum and at last start to understand ourselves. Thats hard enough, but others still continue to want us to change back, wear the masks! I feel its about time others started to accept and understand us...

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2008, 8:52 am

I think it comes at least partly from the human tendency to categorize the things in rigid boxes that Nature puts on a fuzzy spectrum. The rigid categories exist in the minds of the humans as a kind of shorthand as to how to deal with it. Nature doesn't do things this way. I suspect it is too much work for folks to accept things that don't fit into the categories. The problem is that the method works just often enough that humans rely on it, and the times that the method doesn't work become clearly the fault of the outliers themselves.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2008, 12:59 pm

Subtlty is for those who dont care if the mesaage gets across.

BallisticMystic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2008, 2:13 pm

I think the most important point you brought up is about not really even understanding it yourself. To be fair to everyone, how can we really expect others to understand us if even we ourselves don't?

We all want others to be more like us so they understand what we go through, I think that's just human nature. We also all want to be uniquely individual, and these two aspects of ourselves are constantly at odds trying to keep a balance between them.

I went thru 46 years of my life before even knowing it was autism that made my life so difficult, now that I know and am coming to understand it better it gives me a few extra tools to deal with it, but it doesn't really change anything. Even though I didn't know what the "label" for it was, it doesn't change the fact that I've had to deal with it and live my life around it. This isn't anyone else's job, as they have their own issues to deal with.

Can we help eachother?

Sure, but not by passing blame for any of it back and forth, and not by expecting others to do things that we should be doing for ourselves. The best way to get others to understand you is to understand them, the best way to understand them is to understand yourself.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 6:29 am

BallisticMystic wrote:
Sure, but not by passing blame for any of it back and forth, and not by expecting others to do things that we should be doing for ourselves. The best way to get others to understand you is to understand them, the best way to understand them is to understand yourself.

I agree, the problem with that so many of us have grow up not being allowed or understood, our differences often being changed to fit into a world we never felt we fitted into. Many of us have spent half a life time getting it so wrong, wrong diagnosed and worse... we discover autism spectrum and ourselves, now the next journey starts with rediscovery, thats if we have not been to damaged on the way... I do not feel we can blame others for not knowing, but I guess we all owe it to the next generation to help others understand, otherwise the circle will continue...

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 6:34 am

AnnaLemma wrote:
The rigid categories exist in the minds of the humans as a kind of shorthand as to how to deal with it. Nature doesn't do things this way. I suspect it is too much work for folks to accept things that don't fit into the categories.

Unfortunately your so right, to many we are just another misunderstood minority. Sometimes I wonder are we too honest and maybe others feel threaten from hearing the truth, do not we all want to keep close to what we know, the safe option is always the easiest... but for some of us, our safe option just shatters and then we are left to pick up the pieces

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2008, 7:55 pm

First I am not trying to blame anyone, so much so many of us still do not know about autism - should be be having to deal with alone, I do not agree with this and feel the only answers for now - is awareness, awareness, awareness for everyone.

Is it fair that society often damages us from very young from not allowing or understanding our differences, then alienates when we lose our way for a bit....

Can you imagine me bringing up my NT child as an aspie, there would be an outcry!

Change needs to happen, and as an aspie community we have to stick together and become stronger, speak out.. otherwise the next generation of children may suffer as so many adults have, often in silence...