Page 4 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:33 pm

Sola wrote:
People's ways are SO disappointing and heartbreaking. It's because they have 'selfish' motivations.....many people are blinded by their own will and aspirations....to the point where they only see others as a 'tool' and not as a human being. They are sick and unfortunately the 'use/manipulate people' disease is a pandemic. In this disease human beings are seen as 'means' not as dignified 'ends in themselves'. It's ugly. It's dirty.

So the answer is inevitably ... a shack in the woods ... fertilizer bombs? 8O

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:36 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Sola wrote:
People's ways are SO disappointing and heartbreaking. It's because they have 'selfish' motivations.....many people are blinded by their own will and aspirations....to the point where they only see others as a 'tool' and not as a human being. They are sick and unfortunately the 'use/manipulate people' disease is a pandemic. In this disease human beings are seen as 'means' not as dignified 'ends in themselves'. It's ugly. It's dirty.

So the answer is inevitably ... a shack in the woods ... fertilizer bombs? 8O

so b/c we have trouble being around people we're all ted kazinski's (sp?) now? wow, that's not insulting. thank you for the judgment. nice.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:38 pm

slowmutant wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
ignisfatuus wrote:
I've learned it's ultimately more detrimental to cut myself off from society than to smile and nod through clenched teeth. That, and I've begun to mentally atrophy without the conversation of others, which frightens me.

there are lots of ways to avoid that 'atrophy', though....like coming here and having interesting chats with people....i also read constantly, am always looking for new books, shows, movies, documentaries about subjects i am interested in....i download lectures about different subjects i want to know more about, research on the internet, read articles, do puzzles and memory exercises, etc etc...so there are lots of options available

None of that is a substitute for human company. I do not understand what is so excruciating about it.

you should avoid passing judgment on things that you admit you don't understand.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 10:55 pm

Quote:
you should avoid passing judgment on things that you admit you don't understand.

Why don't you take your own advice and refrain from judging me?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 11:08 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:

Why don't you take your own advice and refrain from judging me?

as soon as you're done insulting the people participating in this thread, i gladly will :wink:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 11:11 pm

Sola wrote:
People's ways are SO disappointing and heartbreaking. It's because they have 'selfish' motivations.....many people are blinded by their own will and aspirations....to the point where they only see others as a 'tool' and not as a human being. They are sick and unfortunately the 'use/manipulate people' disease is a pandemic.

So very true and well said!!

This is the reason I don't like people anymore. It takes a higher intelligence and wisdom to have the willingness and the resourcefulness to fulfill one's own needs and aspirations without having to tread on other people. Most people don't have these special talents and the only way they know how to fulfill themselves is by hurting others.

Some people are so unintelligent and unwise that they even lack the resourcefulness to come up with a place to have dinner that will satisfy both themselves and their dining companion. Back when I had friends, I remember this type, they were such a frustrating kind to go out with. You had to give in to their whims or impose yourself. It felt more like a power battle than a night in the town.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 11:12 pm

Someone seems to thrive on arguing. :chin: :lol:

Those who know, don't speak.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2009, 11:35 pm

Damn, I killed it. :scratch: :shrug:

P.S. The above response wasn't meant for everybody.

Those who know, don't speak.

Fluffybunnyfeet
Raven
Raven

21 Jan 2009, 1:18 am

arkityp wrote:
but at what point do you look at "society" as a whole, and give up hope? i never feel as i'll be truly able to live the life i want. i don't think i'll have the freedom to go places i might want to go, without fear of confrontations.

I spent 14 years as a total recluse, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Adapting to the lifestyle is difficult, but I found motivation from the need to keep myself safe. In the first few years, I felt very wounded and sensitive. In the following years, I kept to a plan, which became more reassuring the longer I kept to it. There was a lot of peace and warmth in the certainty that things would stay the same, with society uninvolved. In the last couple of years of seclusion I felt that the bad was beginning to outweigh the good, and eventually I asked for help to return to my earlier lifestyle. I consider it more of a development thing, than a 'bad patch'.

What I think is that people change over time, even hermits.

On another line of thinking - hopefully equally valid - ask yourself what you need. Ask yourself what society needs from you. Answering those questions may take some time. A hermitage is a great place to do thinking like that :)

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2009, 3:26 am

jawbrodt wrote:
^In most cases it is related to anxiety or social phobia.

True. :)

Also sensory problems, difficulty processing words, uncontrollable behaviours/compulsions, etc.

Anyway my point being to anyone who doesnt understand this thread, that there can be many reasons why a person is uncomfortable or unhappy around others.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 6:02 am

Many reasons indeed. A real civilisation would recognise the contributions that the neurologically challenged have made to the progress of evolution and be willing to stretch its limits to accomodate them.

Without some sort of right to call a halt to the whisper campaigns and silent destruction that wipe some of us off the social scoreboard there's not a lot of hope. The choice to not participate isn't a sufficient alternative to having a chance to take part.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 4:29 pm

Sola wrote:

yeah this sums it up. i think you're supposed to see them and use them in the same way for it to work, but i don't see people that way, so i just limit my contact with them.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2009, 11:06 pm

Postperson wrote:
A lot of us over 40's live as semi recluses, by that age you've more than had enough of the relentless fault finding, exploitation and outright abuse metred out to those who only look normal.

When I was young however I tried to stay in the game, I think I learnt a lot and progressed more thru doing that, but it took a big toll on my health. I would say I had to opt out for health reasons.

QFT. Well-said. :wink:

I haven't cut myself off completely, I go out when I need to go out...I've just changed the way I handle things, I opt out of of the social events and affairs many NT's deem as "mandatory", I'm no longer playing the game of trying to fit in and be like everyone else...now I'm just me....and I'm less stressed, more relaxed and alot happier.

Alone does not necasarily equal lonely, your life is what you choose it to be...arkityp if you aren't happy, then yes, maybe there is some sort of change you need to make or a different approach you need to take.

If you get a pet, that there are just some animals that do not do well with another animal...they are in essence "loners", they may enjoy your company but become stressed in the company of one of their own species. That is accepted in animals but not in humans...which I feel is a bit ludicrous. When a human is a "loner", they are encouraged to change, or thought of as some potentially bomb-building devient physcopath...we seriously need to lose the stereotypes and generalizations and admit that there are different things that work for different people. One size does not fit all.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 4:36 am

arkityp wrote:
just wondering if there is anyone else who has completely cut themselves off from society (i.e. live alone, work from home and/or receiving assistance, no friends, only leave the house for vital things or appointments), etc.

this is my lifestyle which has gradually been forced upon me and accepted at the same time. i accept that every person who i speak to will become angry with me because of miscommunication, so i don't bother to leave the house or attempt to reach out to anyone.

this goes online as well as in reality. i feel i'm even going out on a limb just posting this.

my psychologist says this is a type of anxiety common with people who have AS, and that it is detrimental.

but at what point do you look at "society" as a whole, and give up hope? i never feel as i'll be truly able to live the life i want. i don't think i'll have the freedom to go places i might want to go, without fear of confrontations.

i'm slowly becoming a mute by choice. i don't feel being a hermit is a problem, but my psychologist is tugging me in the other direction (with compromises).

what do you think?

If you are earning a living for yourself, you are not completely cut off from others. Also, consider what you would do if you became seriously ill.

The fact of the matter is that humans are not and can not be complete hermits. Aspie or not (I am an Aspie) we are social animals. Have as much contact with others as is required to sustain your life.

ruveyn

alba
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 1:30 pm

Ah the joys of hermitude...

The only downside is not wanting it to ever end..

I'm not a natural born salesman, not very persuasive....hoping you guys will look beyond my ineptitudes of expression...hoping you will see the joy and the freedom overflowing...in spite of my inability to express or share..

Any of you who have the hope, the dream of becoming a hermit someday, I can only say...it is well worth it... Do not sacrifice that dream lightly. Do not believe the expectation others have are the same as your expectations... Dare to fulfill your dream. Do whatever it takes.. Being a hermit is way beyond your wildest dreams. It is the greatest thing on earth for those with intensely debilitating social anxiety, such as mine.. It gives life a new texture, a new dimension. Makes life more than worth living.

There's another downside, but for me, it's an upside. See why I'm not so good at selling things?? Which is that being a true hermit greatly encourages resourcefulness. I wasn't blessed with or born with an abundance of resourcefulness. But at this stage of my hermitage, it is about average or slightly above. And I truly cherish the challenges that come my way because they give me opportunities to explore the limits of my abilities, intelligence, creativity, endurance, self reliance, and spiritual power. I feel soooo connected up with everything...I feel an integral and essential part of it all..

I love love love that there is no one for me to depend on but myself. Things happen. Many things...and I have to figure out how to solve this thing all by myself. Way cool. Can you imagine what this has done for my confidence? Skyrocketed!!

Ah...what can I say? I have 2 cats and they are great. It would be hard without them, but I would manage. The frequent experience of encountering wild animals in their native habitat is something no amount of description can possibly touch in an adequate way. It is the highest high I have ever experienced. Sex can't hold a candle to it. For me anyway. Not to mention the trees and wild healing herbs [weeds] growing everywhere. It is way beyond divine. The trees are very much like creatures. If your senses are wide open the way mine are, you can't help but feel like you are in the company of a majestic and wise species of life ...when surrounded by trees..Give me trees any day over people.

The peace and quiet. The serenity. The pleasure of being alive. The freedom from people. Getting to know myself. Getting to truly be myself. Getting to live life my way...unfettered..Getting to know God. Getting away from all the expectations. Sipping ambrosia every day...breathing it in...breathing it out. Letting my imagination carry me away....soaring...getting so high I think I may never come down....

Think of a sexual orgasm that lasts forever...That's what being a hermit is like.

Only way better.

I rest my case such as it is and hope it didn't discourage you forever from becoming a hermit. Because I'm very good at discouraging people from wanting whatever it is I am trying to sell.......

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2009, 2:02 pm

alba wrote:
I wasn't blessed with or born with an abundance of resourcefulness. But at this stage of my hermitage, it is about average or slightly above. And I truly cherish the challenges that come my way because they give me opportunities to explore the limits of my abilities, intelligence, creativity, endurance, self reliance, and spiritual power.[...]I love love love that there is no one for me to depend on but myself. Things happen. Many things...and I have to figure out how to solve this thing all by myself. Way cool. Can you imagine what this has done for my confidence? Skyrocketed!![...] The trees are very much like creatures. If your senses are wide open the way mine are, you can't help but feel like you are in the company of a majestic and wise species of life

This is my life in a nutshell, but I never tried to see it in a positive light. I don't have family or friends, I'm alone come what may. I've developed a self-confidence, self-reliance, endurance, resourcefulness and spiritual strength that few have. But to say that I love that there is no one for me to depend on but myself...I always saw it as my life's tragedy...

How old are you? Because maybe this is different at 20 from at 50...