Page 5 of 6 [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 3:24 pm

Autistic children don't interact with their environment.

(lolwut?)

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

Benthedemon007
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2016, 4:32 pm

Novac96 wrote:
- Aspies don't enjoy writing, particularly if it's creative writing such as poetry
- Aspies, in all of their social oblivion, aren't concerned with social or human rights issues in spite of not consistently speaking
- Aspies read a strict diet of nonfiction (I suit this one to some extent, although good poetry anthologies, short stories, and novels will appeal to me if they have some philosophical basis or a basis in reality)
- Aspies are either hypersexual or are too immature, sheltered, and unintelligent to have a concept of sexuality
- Aspies don't listen to a variety of music genres (I like all except country)
- Aspies cannot successfully graduate high school, go to college, and obtain a career
- Aspies DONT stim (I have had the camps of those with children on the "lower" end of the spectrum, that is if you look at it as a linear scale, tell me that my stimming is mere fidgeting and therefore I am not autistic because I can speak)
- Female Aspies are aloof and have an air that is stereotypically-unkind in a feminine manner (to put it discreetly)

And much of what others have said, such that girls and women cannot be autistic/an Aspie, and that we are either savants, the product of a failed vaccine, or too intellectually-incompetent to comprehend anything.

Completely agree... but I hate poetry :evil:

INTPnarwhal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2016, 12:55 pm

A few days ago I came across this disheartening definition of Autism in my Korean and Japanese translation app: "an abnormal absorption with the self; marked by communication disorders and short attention span and inability to treat others as people." I sent the developers a messege requesting they change it.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 4:03 pm

LyraLuthTinu wrote:

(lolwut?)

i was going to say this!
idk what the hell kind of research program decided this was a common thing.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 4:26 pm

Yep, while some of these stereotypes are just silly, others are downright wrong!

Many decades ago, when autism research was still 'new', it was purported that autistic individuals did not dream. That is, we did not engage in REM sleep :roll: Can you imagine? Geez

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2016, 11:13 pm

Benthedemon007 wrote:
I'll start.

1. We are all introverts (I'm an ambivert)
2. We can't talk (mention fighter aircraft and you'll see exactly how much I talk)
3. We all don't care about how we look (I care a lot)
4. We can't get buff/aren't attractive (I'm pretty muscular, and girls seem to like me )
5. When you say "it went the way of the dodo" we ask "where did the dodo go?" (needs no explanation)
6. We will die alone (I hope this isn't true)
7. We are all defenseless (I can stand my ground against bullies in verbal arguements)
8. We can't be into non-"aspergery" things (I like heavy metal and fighter jets. No, NTs aren't the only ones into "macho" things)
9. We all are "wusses" (I can suck things up and do them, even if I have my ticks)
10. We are all supergeniuses (Well, this one is true for me :D)

I never have gotten any surprise over my 'macho' interests, at least not on the basis of being autistic. Occassionally I've gotten surprise on the basis of running quite counter to macho nonsense and still liking military topics, aggressive music, cars/racing, etc.

One I have found is regarding autism and imagination - ASD means no imagination. In my experience it just means even my fantasies have to be 'realistic', but I certainly have a vivid imagination despite that 'limitation'.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 1:16 am

seaweed wrote:
LyraLuthTinu wrote:

(lolwut?)

i was going to say this!
idk what the hell kind of research program decided this was a common thing.

As if autisic children especially those in ABA programs have a choice.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 8:59 am

All aspies:

- excel at math, science and technology
- will take everything you say 100% literally
- lack emotions
- flap their hands non stop
- hate all types of change / change in routines
- want to be social, but can't
- have severe sensory issues that targets vision, hearing or smell
- are perfect angels who will only say anything bad due to lacking social skills, never because they know what they're doing and want to act out for whatever reason
- have violent meltdowns constantly
- have one narrow interest only
- are liberal (and if they aren't then they are very conservative, nothing in between or a mix)
- speak monotonously all the time
- will talk for hours about their special interest/obsession with anyone

No aspies:

- like fiction or being creative
- had imaginative play as kids
- know what they feel even if they have emotions
- have any type of social skills whatsoever
- get jokes, sarcasm or idioms
- have a sense of humor (and if they should happen to have it, it's so odd that no one else ever find it funny)
- have any insight into about themselves

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 12:03 pm

Some NTs think Aspies are Vulcan. Not so. Just because Spock is my Patron Saint does not mean I can -be- Spock.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 1:44 pm

-All Aspies will talk about is their obsessions
-Aspies don't cry
-Aspies require diapers all their lives
-All Aspies lined toys up as kids and never actually played with toys
-Aspies have no self-awareness and are embarrassing to be with in public
-All Aspies get A's in school
-Aspies will attack you if you touch them
-Aspies are self-absorbed
-Aspies don't smoke or drink alcohol
-Aspies only watch things like Star Trek, and not humour shows
-Only males can be Aspies
-Aspies are violent during a meltdown
-Aspies have no fashion sense
-Aspies cannot fall in love
-Aspies know everything about electronics

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2016, 3:20 pm

green0star wrote:

Wow I hope I'm not perpetuating a stereotype by saying logic > emotions ...

That's literally how I feel about pretty much everything and why I was able to cut loose many toxic relationships in my past. Though from the looks of it you guys have pretty much covered everything that has ever been said to me anyway.

The only thing I haven't seen is the one where people say that we're robotic. My own brother has told me that I'm robotic but I say that's better then being run by petty emotions.

You [b]are[/b] perpetuating a stereotype.

I was talking about empathy which is more than just emotions. You can objectify your own point of view by taking into account other peoples point of view. That has already a regulatory effect on ones own emotions. Then you also have empathy with yourself, so you have a better insight in your own motivations and emotions, you can controll your subjectivity better. So empathy > logic. Obama was blamed by many judges and lawyers for his "empathy standard" in the selection of Supreme Court judges, and I think this is what he was aiming at.

It is sometimes said that Aspies are very pragmatic decision-takers as long as there are no emotions coming in, but can be very irrational, if their own desires, frustrations or fears come in. I guess you know about the propensity of aspies for anxiety issues or mental health problems .

climategeek
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jun 2016, 1:40 am

All Aspies are pathological truth tellers
All aspies are neo-Nazis
All aspies hate religion
All aspies have ESP
All Aspies are empaths
All Aspies have no feelings
All Aspies are gay (I have been called that :cry:)
Aspies will save the world
Aspies are future dictators

I also love fighter Jet my favorite plane is the Mig-31 Foxhound and the F-16 Fighting Falcon.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 1:23 pm

climategeek wrote:

I'm sorry that happened to you.

I think that comes from the General anti-gay stigmatism more than anything.

-Aspies never swear
-Aspies only have "basic" emotions like happiness and sadness, and are unable to feel more "complex" emotions such as jealousy and greed.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 1:50 pm

climategeek wrote:
All Aspies are pathological truth tellers
All aspies are neo-Nazis
All aspies hate religion
All aspies have ESP
All Aspies are empaths
All Aspies have no feelings
Aspies will save the world
Aspies are future dictators

I also love fighter Jet my favorite plane is the Mig-31 Foxhound and the F-16 Fighting Falcon.

Awesome, I like the MiG-29 and the Su-27 and it's derivatives, but the F-16 is pretty high up on my list too. I also used to design planes for a game.

I've never heard 'all aspies are gay' but I have encountered 'all non-macho needledick males are gay', and aspies do tend to sometimes miss some of the macho tribal identifiers. Basically, like Austin said.

I'm pretty sure if you need to debunk 'aspies never swear', stick them in a room with me for 5 minutes. I tend to use a lot of excessively 'formal' language, slang and cusses all within the same breath. :lol:

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 11:58 am

Aspies are logical. (This is one of the most widespread inaccurate stereotype within the community.)

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2016, 2:30 pm

Aniihya wrote:
Aspies are logical. (This is one of the most widespread inaccurate stereotype within the community.)

Not only the most widespread inaccruate stereotype, but also the most detrimental one for humanity.

Evam wrote:
The worst: aspies are the more rational and more logic thinkers and high-functioning Aspergers can compensate their lack of cognitive empathy by thinking more. Which is the biggest BS on earth, and for humanity the most detrimental one.