Page 5 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Are you in any way offended by the term "Cure"?
Poll ended at 12 May 2008, 8:36 pm
Yes 65%  65%  [ 60 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 92

RampionRampage
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2008, 5:14 am

elan_i wrote:
I was just thinking about the onset-of-autism issue -- it being acquired/developed "prior to 3 years old" (DSM). Is this the case for Aspergers as well? That is, is there a period of observable normal/typical functioning from birth onward, until a time period in which there is a rather dramatic change (as some may say) or loss of function (as others may say)?

I am starting to wonder if all forms and cases of autism are from the same source. If there is more than one source, then genetic testing isn't always going to work. It may turn out to be that there is a much larger set of genetic circumstances creating a predisposition for it, or sensitivity towards something which may trigger it.
A cure isn't plausible until they know what's causing it in the first place. So I really do think we're all safe - they have no earthly idea. No theory seems to cover even a majority. GF/CF doesn't work for many, or only relieves certain symptoms. Some firmly disagree with the concept of vaccines causing it. My family seems to run something that looks very much like autism, so maybe I just was born that way. Or maybe just predisposed and my sister, biological father, and I just won that lottery.
By the time they figure out how to prevent autistic spectrum disorders, they'll have 'cured' a lot of other things that may or may not require 'curing'.
I'd jump ship before then, for sure.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2008, 1:13 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:
No. If there was one, people could choose to take it or not.

Those that choose not to take it would be coerced... the government would no longer see fit to support people who wish to remain as they are (because it's "cheaper" and "easier" to just have them take a cure), as well as the fact that if autistics take such a "cure", those that are left behind would be further isolated...

You're right. And for how long would it remain optional? What happens when selfish parents decide their son or dauter need to be 'fixed'. How would we determin who really needs the help and when it's just some whiny adult puming their kid full of drugs so they can feel good about themselves?

It will start with good intentions, but I worry that it would swiftly go downhill.

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 3:57 pm

My idea of a "cure" for autism involves helping people reach functioning levels along the lines of HFA and AS. The popular concept of a "cure" involves destroying the Autistic personality and replacing it with a NT one.

So I suppose my opinion in the matter is one of intellectual disagreement, not offense. It takes a lot more than this (and I mean a lot more) to make me offended.

Carole
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Mar 2008, 4:26 pm

i would feel extremely offended if one of my friends or my parents friends supported a cure for autism. but thankfully my mom feels the same way

lau
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:31 pm

The_Cucumber wrote:
My idea of a "cure" for autism involves helping people reach functioning levels along the lines of HFA and AS.

I have no idea what you mean. I am an aspie. I am autistic. Are you saying I'm already cured?

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2008, 7:33 pm

The_Cucumber wrote:
My idea of a "cure" for autism involves helping people reach functioning levels along the lines of HFA and AS. The popular concept of a "cure" involves destroying the Autistic personality and replacing it with a NT one.

So I suppose my opinion in the matter is one of intellectual disagreement, not offense. It takes a lot more than this (and I mean a lot more) to make me offended.

Don't be offended, but if that's a "cure"... I'm cured.

pardon me while I express an expletive that begins with the letter F.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 10:57 pm

I believe that every curse is a blessing in disguise. I also believe in freedom of will. I guess there's nothing wrong with Autistic people seeking to function normally. Firstly, there's no autism awareness in my country, I believe that spreading awareness should be the first goal, before seeking an antidote. Of course, when people hear phrases such as "syndrome", "disorder", they do imagine it as a mental illness. I recall explaining AS to my cousin, and he was baffled when I told him that I'm against seeking any "cure".

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with autistic people seeking a cure and non-autistic people helping them seek a cure. However, I'm against portraying any PDD as a mental illness.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 12:30 am

Think Autism - Don't Think Cure!

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Mar 2008, 9:15 am

Khan_Sama wrote:
I'm against portraying any PDD as a mental illness.

If it's not a mental illness... Then what do you think needs a "cure"?

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 5:25 am

Pepperfire wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:

Nothing but the intolerance of those who aren't coping with parenting an ASD child, and find these cheap short cuts which amount to false hope and fall for it. A con job of the first order.

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Mar 2008, 10:04 am

TLPG wrote:
Pepperfire wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:

Nothing but the intolerance of those who aren't coping with parenting an ASD child, and find these cheap short cuts which amount to false hope and fall for it. A con job of the first order.

Well said. I think that's what irks me most about the stupid vaccine message -- In light of all science to the contrary, parents still want to cling to the false hope that maybe a miracle shot in the arm will make it all go away. Or worse, Moms like Jenny McCarthy, who for all intents and purposes should be bright intelligent people but who refuse to pay any attention to the science because, well, they're a mom and they know better. Which is really really laughable if you know my hubby's ex-wife. hehe.

It's so sad. I have to wonder, how advanced can an autie or an aspie get if their parent is so intent on finding a cure they miss out on the real treatments and coping mechanisms available to them before it's too late.

Which begs another question... when is too late really too late... hmmm new thread starter.

LadyKathleen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jan 2009, 9:50 pm

i feel like a disease when i see those things. I even saw a kid shirt that said "Dear Santa take away my autism" and it made me cry bc i had really bad self esteem issues as a child and to see that shirt perpetuates the loss of fragile self esteem of autistic children as it is. I wouldnt want a cure because it makes me special and unique and if they cant see that then thats their own blindness. we should cure ignorance not autism. If the cure was readily available the wrong people would be getting it, in that case the most profound should receive it to improve their functioning in the world. we need to teach our children tolerance and neurodiversity not try to get rid of people who dont see the world the neurotypical way...just think of all the wonderful research we could find!! !!

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2009, 10:45 pm

LadyKathleen wrote:
i feel like a disease when i see those things. I even saw a kid shirt that said "Dear Santa take away my autism" and it made me cry bc i had really bad self esteem issues as a child and to see that shirt perpetuates the loss of fragile self esteem of autistic children as it is.

The main problem is society at large though - really the T-shirts and the Autism Speaks numpties are just a reminder of it.
Quote:
I wouldnt want a cure because it makes me special and unique and if they cant see that then thats their own blindness. we should cure ignorance not autism. If the cure was readily available the wrong people would be getting it, in that case the most profound should receive it to improve their functioning in the world. we need to teach our children tolerance and neurodiversity not try to get rid of people who dont see the world the neurotypical way...just think of all the wonderful research we could find!! !!

Out of curiousity, suppose a pre-natal test for Autism was announced tomorrow, how far would you go in fighting it?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 9:33 am

Society is obsessed with 'the perfect life', and they hate people who don't think like they do, or follow the heard mentality. They want to get rid of people who think differently, or don't fit their idea of 'normal'. I can only guess that the people at Autism Speaks bullied autistic and special needs children, when they were in school. Such bullies will do anything to eradicate autism. Those people are reminiscent of Nazi Germany. I think that we're on the brink of another holocaust, because people won't be accepting us, any time soon. They're already working on tests that will wipe us out. I find that very sick. The best cure is acceptance. It's not ABA or abortion.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2009, 11:42 am

IdahoAspie wrote:
Shadowbound wrote:
We should have T-shirts made that say Cure for Neurotypicalisim. :D

Wouldn't that be the neurotypical way? :)

How about putting that on the seats of our pants instead?

How about we have a bunch of people try to get on something like the O'Reilly Factor and say flat out that we're insulted.

It would bring a lot of attention to this issue, I'd imagine someone like O'Reilly would be relatively fair to us, especially if we remain civil, because the best thing we can do is get our own word out.

DeanFoley
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2009, 4:52 pm

No, I do percieve it as something to be cured.