Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2010, 10:12 pm

I posted in the WP suggestions forum and somehow missed this one, and this is a better place for it.

I think that there are many on here who want to speak out and say something. Many are angry, but still write good posts. Maybe we can turn these posts into more?

I think it would be cool to have maybe a monthly (or bi monthly) type of newsletter released to anyone with a WP account (and posted on the site) written by the Aspie community. Or even better have it be NT/Aspie joint. There would be a team of editors (volunteer) and writers. The writers are given space to write an article about different topics in todays world (war, economy, video games, romance, w/e). Maybe even have comics. Also have a section about a major current event with views from the NT side and the AS side.

This would allow the community to voice themselves in a constructive manner, and if done right maybe reach more people. We could have articles by age as well; have one section be for "the old timers" and one section be written by the youth. There are many ways it could be done.

Yes, I know WP has an articles section. But this would allow many more to participate and voice views. This may even work better as it's own website rather then an extension of WP. I have allot of ideas, but I am just one person.

If we had our own site we could also have video reviews of products and games. This would be primarily done by Aspies since NT reviews abound the web. Think like a gamespot video review, only done over different things (or maybe games only) by WP users. That may give people not only a fresh look on a product/game, but also incite into how people with AS think in general.

I really think these would be a huge hit. Especially the articles. Of course there would be rules, facts would need to be checks, etc. There would be a place for opinions as well though. I think as a community we could do this. In the future interviews with people in the medical field could be had and such as well.

I would be up to starting to group to form this.

Any takers?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2010, 11:36 pm

I think that's a good idea. When do we start?

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2010, 11:47 pm

Uh. I don't really know. First thing would be to get a core group interested then discuss ideas on the best way to proceed. Then once a base idea is decided on we get a web page built (sadly my html/php/css is lacking) and then make the content. After that we promote it. Then we wait and get popular?

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2010, 1:45 am

I'm up for it!

How about doing it via WP - maybe ask Alex if you can have a page once you're all organized and ready to start? I get the impression this is kind of the hub of the autistic community, so we'd reach more people from here.

Maybe create and distribute it by e-mail? Make 2 mailing lists - people on the team, and people who want to receive the finished product.

I suggest doing it in .pdf format - most computers can read them.

I can do some very basic HTML, and make .pdfs, but my design skills STINK!

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2010, 2:18 am

My original Idea involved WP, but the format of WP just feels wrong for this. Also there are already articles on WP. I guess in my mind this would work like an online newspaper of sorts. Though perhaps Alex would be kind enough to give a page with a login for the startup team. I don't have enough rep on here to ask him though, I am pretty sure he would decline.

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2010, 2:47 am

I'm sure he wouldn't decline just 'coz you don't have "rep". Did you get the newsletter today?

Quote:
...I respond to your emails. Please let me know what you plan on doing for autism in 2010

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2010, 3:18 am

Noted >.> I'll send it

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jan 2010, 6:48 pm

Good luck!

*fingers crossed*

:)

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jan 2010, 6:54 pm

His answer: Sounds like a good idea.

That was it.

momofz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2010, 11:49 pm

I would be willing to help.

I'm a therapist, and I could do articles or something like that if it seemed helpful.

BTW, although my profile is new, I've been reading here for a long time under my son's account.

VincentVanJones
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2010, 12:03 am

As I said, I cannot start the site due to lack of skills to make it. I can be a part of it and contribute.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2010, 6:18 pm

Sounds like a cool idea. :D I wouldn't mind helping although I'm not great at HTML.

Shareese
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2010, 1:13 pm

Everyone go to autists.org and autisticrights.org. We are doing that, or at least plan to. :)

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2010, 4:05 pm

Celebrity endorsement with someone society is head over heals with. TV comercials, radio spots, magazine and newspaper ads. Sticking pro autism stickers over autism speaks ones on people's cars. Bus advertisements. Basicaly an attempt to out do Autism speaks media coverage, like two political canidates.